Dak can be boxing himself in

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The talk is that Dak wants a 4 year deal so he can take advantage of the increasing revenue expected by then.
That's fine but if that's his thinking, then he should be willing to take a contract based on what his value is now relative to the other QB's in his Teir: Golf, Wentz, Ryan, which is in the $33 million range instead of the $35 million he may be asking for.
For him to want more and then want an out to take advantage of the future market makes him look bad.

As it does for every player wanting a new contract. How many millions do people need to live a comfortable life? It's not going with you in the afterlife.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The talk is that Dak wants a 4 year deal so he can take advantage of the increasing revenue expected by then.
That's fine but if that's his thinking, then he should be willing to take a contract based on what his value is now relative to the other QB's in his Teir: Golf, Wentz, Ryan, which is in the $33 million range instead of the $35 million he may be asking for.
For him to want more and then want an out to take advantage of the future market makes him look bad.
Ever heard of inflation?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's a negotiation. Ask for the moon, and then maybe scale it down if the other side won't blink.
They got months to get a long term deal done and Jerry has blinked in the past over deals.

You would think that's the case but that's not the way CAA works. I mean, you have to pay attention to who they are. Look at how they do business. It is not to their advantage to walk away from this negotiation with anything less then a record deal and the ability to go back to the table again, in short order. This, IMO, is not about Dak. This is about what this deal brings to CAA. Keep in mind, CAA doesn't own any NFL QB clients other then Allen, who is playing on a rookie contract. They want those deals and this is their ticket to that market. They basically need a win here to insure future business.

Every wonder how Tony Romo got his record deal in TV so quickly? His representation is CAA.

This, to me, is not about Dak.

Techsass

Reaction score
Especially in the eyes of fans.......this bashing fans but it's well known. Fans favor management during players' negotiations.
I'm not sure they actually favor management.

Even the less gullible tend to agree with whatever they read/hear on a subject they can't really relate to. I'd bet less than 10% of the CZ faithful are making millions, so the concept is foreign territory to us.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
That sounds about right. Maybe not 100 guaranteed if he’s only signing for 4. Remember carson got 106 guaranteed but has 2 years remaining over his rookie deal so it was really spread over 6 years

If the Cowboys had offered that last year, they could have spread it out over five years and Dak was only making $2 million. This should have been around the offer before Wentz and Goff even signed, but especially after.

John813

Reaction score
You would think that's the case but that's not the way CAA works. I mean, you have to pay attention to who they are. Look at how they do business. It is not to their advantage to walk away from this negotiation with anything less then a record deal and the ability to go back to the table again, in short order. This, IMO, is not about Dak. This is about what this deal brings to CAA. Keep in mind, CAA doesn't own any NFL QB clients other then Allen, who is playing on a rookie contract. They want those deals and this is their ticket to that market. They basically need a win here to insure future business.

Every wonder how Tony Romo got his record deal in TV so quickly? His representation is CAA.

This, to me, is not about Dak.

Oh I agree. Which is why I bet the Cowboys took such a long break from September to February to talk to the agent again.
Cowboys want either AAV, signing bonus or term to go their way. CAA wants to dictate all 3. It's a powerplay game.

They know they have the golden ticket in Dak so, they can continue to play hardball. Ultimately, I could see the Cowboys go the D-Law route with Dak, with tagging him twice if need be. Or Jerry could cave in and not risk Dak sitting out of camp with MM here.

I thought France/CAA represented Ryan Tannehill too?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wentz and Goff signed year deals, so how is Dak asking for more by also asking for a year deal? As for the dollars, markets don't stagnate. No commodity stays the same year after year, and QB salaries get higher every year. If Dak is asking for something more in terms of dollars, that's what it is based on. Contrary to what some believe, the price is not a position ranking, it's driven by the market that exists at the time a player is negotiating.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If the Cowboys had offered that last year, they could have spread it out over five years and Dak was only making $2 million. This should have been around the offer before Wentz and Goff even signed, but especially after.

How do you know this? I don't believe that for one second.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
How do I know what?

You are inferring that the Cowboys could have offered 35 million a year ago and then spread it out over years. This implies that 1, Dak and CAA would have actually accepted that deal and 2, that they could have gotten value out of that contract had they did it a year ago. How do you know any of this is accurate?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He wants 4. Cowboys want 5 (or maybe more).

Fine, Cowboys give him 4 years but then he has to give something back. I suspect he and his agent think they are entitled to everything they want. And they can think that if they want but then I think Cowboys fans should have an issue with that. I don't mind him getting paid but in almost any negotiation, players often give up something here or there in order to get other things they want.
I thought that’s what he was doing? He’s not getting the 40 million so instead he’s getting 35 or 36 and the 4 years he wants?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You are inferring that the Cowboys could have offered 35 million a year ago and then spread it out over years. This implies that 1, Dak and CAA would have actually accepted that deal and 2, that they could have gotten value out of that contract had they did it a year ago. How do you know any of this is accurate?

I didn't say Dak would accept it. I said the Cowboys could have offered it. I am not sure what you mean about getting value out of that contract. The value would depend on your opinion of Dak.

btcutter

Reaction score
With 2020 season in the balance perhaps the Jones is trying to avoid paying Dak guaranteed money in case the season doesn't happen at all. If Dak is playing under Franchise tag then if there are no games or season he doesn't get paid or paid at significantly reduced rate.
The longer the pandemic lasts the situation becomes more favorable to Jones as Dak camp wants the guaranteed money NOW.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I didn't say Dak would accept it. I said the Cowboys could have offered it. I am not sure what you mean about getting value out of that contract. The value would depend on your opinion of Dak.

So why do you make the comment suggesting that the team offer it? Why offer that deal if you don't know for sure that Dak will take it? I mean, that's dumb. The team is only setting the bar at the highest level possible a year before they have to. If that's your first offer, where are you going from there?

The value you suggest is not even remotely linked to Dak. You are talking about amortizing it over years correct? How do you realize that value on such a short contract?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
So why do you make the comment suggesting that the team offer it? Why offer that deal if you don't know for sure that Dak will take it? I mean, that's dumb. The team is only setting the bar at the highest level possible a year before they have to. If that's your first offer, where are you going from there?

The value you suggest is not even remotely linked to Dak. You are talking about amortizing it over years correct? How do you realize that value on such a short contract?
The Cowboys have offered multiple deals that Dak hasn't taken. So were those offers dumb? I also didn't say that should be the Cowboys first offer. There was months to negotiate between the start of the league year in March and the start of the season in September.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I thought that’s what he was doing? He’s not getting the 40 million so instead he’s getting 35 or 36 and the 4 years he wants?

Really, why? Nobodies value is 40. That number is pie in the sky and everybody knows that IMO. If he wants more money, give the team more years and I'm not talking 5. I'm talking 6 or 7. Pay him 37 with 3 years guaranteed up front but sign for 7 or take 33 for 5 or just get tagged and watch your annual go down.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Cowboys have offered multiple deals that Dak hasn't taken. So were those offers dumb? I also didn't say that should be the Cowboys first offer. There was months to negotiate between the start of the league year in March and the start of the season in September.

You said they should have offered it last year. So again I ask you, if that's where you are starting, where are you ending? That's dumb. Offering contracts previously is not dumb, that's negotiation. Starting at the very top of the wage scale a year ago as your opening offer is dumb. Again, you are creating a narrative that says if the Cowboy offer X a year ago, team Dak accepts. There is no proof of that.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You said they should have offered it last year. So again I ask you, if that's where you are starting, where are you ending? That's dumb. Offering contracts previously is not dumb, that's negotiation. Starting at the very top of the wage scale a year ago as your opening offer is dumb. Again, you are creating a narrative that says if the Cowboy offer X a year ago, team Dak accepts. There is no proof of that.

Once again I didn't say start there. I also didn't say Dak would accept. Why do you keep putting words in my mouth? That being said, Dak would certainly be more likely to accept a better offer lol.