Twitter: Dak: Dallas Cowboys QB for the rest of his career and business is business

MikeB80

Reaction score
So, you concede the point?

your point is wrong. There is less media covering the team now than ten years ago but these guys are treated completely different.

No one at these press conferences today are bringing the venom that Steve Dennis, Jen and Mac Engle, Calvin Watkins, Dale Hansen and Ed Werder brought about ten years or so ago. Those guys were made to be miserable everyday. Everyday for years it was complaining and creating ridiculous scenarios and questions at press conferences for the players and coaches.

as I have said a few times over the last two days when Garrett took over his demeanor was needed, things were nuts. Calvin Watkins in 2009 got into an argument with Wade Phillips at a press conference and responded by saying "I could have coached that team into the playoffs" in regards to the 08 team.

Demarcus Ware was constantly harassed because he wasn't a "Dog" or "Street" enough. Romo was harassed about singing karaoke in july in the offseason and who he was dating........Marion barber was given crap because he wasn't fast enough and was shy and didn't like talking to the media. I won't even bother with the Owens/pacman stuff of the time.

this current team has it made. people locally seem to have cowboys exhaustion.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Everyone would have been rolling their eyes or left the room before you got through that, and when have you ever seen reporters go on the attack like that with a long rant?

Reporters are trying to do a job and maintain relationships and access, and you are just trying to vent frustration and expecting reporters to do the same.

Maybe that's why you aren't a reporter?

I have listened to 20 years of questions for cowboys players and coaches since in that time everything has been available to us. There are plenty of long questions and you could easily shorten what I said to get the quick soundbite they are looking for to write their stories.

Wade Phillips came here with a pedigree as a defensive coach, coached one game in miserable heat with guys getting injured all over the place....won the game and the next week the locals starting with Randy Galloway, Tim Cowlishaw, ed werder and their buddy Bryan broaddus called him "Mr. Fix it"......one damn game that they won by ten points.

That is how it was here for that group. I'm not sure most of the reporters care as much anymore.

MikeB80

Reaction score
The answer to your first question is..... it wasn't a huge party and perhaps you should research facts in the case instead of beating your gums to nonsense.

Second....... do you know the contract that was offered? What was the guaranteed money? Facts are it was below market value.

Third...... yep Dak had some bad games last year but with a new coaching staff and Moore staying I'm sure they will get a plan together and add different wrinkles into the offense instead of the same plays over and over every game

were you at the party? Why are you answering for Dak? answer...because the reporters didnt ask him.

his contract was above goff's and wentz who are his peers and was more than russell wilson's wasn't it? Wasn't it more than mahomes on a per year basis?

cern

Reaction score
it is the purview of reporters to report news, not try and create it. dale hansen held a grudge against the cowboys, their ownership and coaches and became persona non grata because of it.

MikeB80

Reaction score
it is the purview of reporters to report news, not try and create it. dale hansen held a grudge against the cowboys, their ownership and coaches and became persona non grata because of it.

when did he become persona non grata? Jerry loves Dale and always give him time when he wants it. Dale insulted jerry repeatedly back in 2009 over and over to his face and Jerry smiled and answered and never held a grudge.

Dale is old and rich. He simply doesn't care that much anymore.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
your point is wrong. There is less media covering the team now than ten years ago but these guys are treated completely different.

No one at these press conferences today are bringing the venom that Steve Dennis, Jen and Mac Engle, Calvin Watkins, Dale Hansen and Ed Werder brought about ten years or so ago. Those guys were made to be miserable everyday. Everyday for years it was complaining and creating ridiculous scenarios and questions at press conferences for the players and coaches.

as I have said a few times over the last two days when Garrett took over his demeanor was needed, things were nuts. Calvin Watkins in 2009 got into an argument with Wade Phillips at a press conference and responded by saying "I could have coached that team into the playoffs" in regards to the 08 team.

Demarcus Ware was constantly harassed because he wasn't a "Dog" or "Street" enough. Romo was harassed about singing karaoke in july in the offseason and who he was dating........Marion barber was given crap because he wasn't fast enough and was shy and didn't like talking to the media. I won't even bother with the Owens/pacman stuff of the time.

this current team has it made. people locally seem to have cowboys exhaustion.

How is my point wrong when you are supporting your position with what you even admit yourself is outdated - a notion of a time that you admit yourself doesn't reflect the present? In fact, what you are describing as the situation today actually supports what I said.

What you are also missing is that the criticism Hansen, Dennis etc didn't bring "venom" to press conferences anyway. I defy you to find any time in a press conference situation like that they lodged an all out attack on a player like you talked about in one of your posts above. Commentary in a different forum is a separate animal.

They may be critical, and even highly critical, at times in radio shows or in print, and even in a press conference they might ask a question about a contract negotiation, which, by the way, must have been asked because Dak commented on it. But they weren't attacking and calling players liars or hurling accusations at press conferences. Both 10 years ago and today that would have resulted in loss of access to press conferences and players.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have listened to 20 years of questions for cowboys players and coaches since in that time everything has been available to us. There are plenty of long questions and you could easily shorten what I said to get the quick soundbite they are looking for to write their stories.

Wade Phillips came here with a pedigree as a defensive coach, coached one game in miserable heat with guys getting injured all over the place....won the game and the next week the locals starting with Randy Galloway, Tim Cowlishaw, ed werder and their buddy Bryan broaddus called him "Mr. Fix it"......one damn game that they won by ten points.

That is how it was here for that group. I'm not sure most of the reporters care as much anymore.
Read my most recent post that goes over some of this. A significant point is you are confusing editorials and commentary in print or radio with asking questions at a press conference. Writers and radio hosts still spew the "venom" (your word) toward players at times, but they don't go to press conferences and attack them. None of those guys you mentioned did that.

cern

Reaction score
when did he become persona non grata? Jerry loves Dale and always give him time when he wants it. Dale insulted jerry repeatedly back in 2009 over and over to his face and Jerry smiled and answered and never held a grudge.

dale was a skip bayless wannabe who never achieved skip's success. he never got over barry switzer punching him on the shoulder on tv. he cried for months.

MikeB80

Reaction score
How is my point wrong when you are supporting your position with what you even admit yourself is outdated - a notion of a time that you admit yourself doesn't reflect the present? In fact, what you are describing as the situation today actually supports what I said.

What you are also missing is that the criticism Hansen, Dennis etc didn't bring "venom" to press conferences anyway. I defy you to find any time in a press conference situation like that they lodged an all out attack on a player like you talked about in one of your posts above. Commentary in a different forum is a separate animal.

They may be critical, and even highly critical, at times in radio shows or in print, and even in a press conference they might ask a question about a contract negotiation, which, by the way, must have been asked because Dak commented on it. But they weren't attacking and calling players liars or hurling accusations at press conferences. Both 10 years ago and today that would have resulted in loss of access to press conferences and players.

Go watch the welcome to training camp pc 2008. Then get back to me on how they didnt attack wade phillips.

Go watch the questions Ware, Newman, Romo, Jones etc were asked in that time period face to face. Then get back to me.

I gave you specific examples, Calvin Watkins Got up out of his chair at valley ranch and was arguing with Wade phillips in the summer of 09 and told Wade frigging phillips he could have coached the cowboys to the playoffs in 2008. It ended up getting him moved around at the DMN at the time.

Steve Dennis used to call Romo ...Tony Oh No.....he would ask other players on the team in the open locker room period if Calling romo tony oh no was accurate.

No idea where you get this notion that these guys didn't bring that stuff into the locker room/valley ranch and ask directly. They did all the time.

The new york post sent a Jessica Simpson look a like to the cowboys giants playoff game and they all covered it like it was important?

I am done for the day with this topic. If you were a fan of the team then and followed them closely you will see a stark difference in how they are covered and the standard they were held to.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys fired Hansen from his gig as the radio play by play guy something like 20-25 years ago. You can bet whatever access he has now would be yanked from him if he started attacking players or Jerry in press conferences they way you suggest someone should have with Dak.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Read my most recent post that goes over some of this. A significant point is you are confusing editorials and commentary in print or radio with asking questions at a press conference. Writers and radio hosts still spew the "venom" (your word) toward players at times, but they don't go to press conferences and attack them. None of those guys you mentioned did that.

read my post. I am telling you they did it directly. Calvin Watkins did it regularly. He went way out of bounds with Wade Phillips and wade was nice enough to laugh in his face....he went out of bounds with jay ratliff and ratliff grabbed a hold of him.

it was much different.

ok now I am done.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posts and quoted posts of the pandemic, etc., have been deleted.

Future repeated posts and/or quoted posts of the pandemic will result in members being benched from the thread, Fan Zone or CowboysZone.com.

Discussion of the pandemic, etc., is restricted to the Coronavirus Zone solely. No exceptions. No excuses.

Thread Re-opened.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Very possible a long term deal gets done. End of the day though both sides have said all the right things publically for the past two years, but we still have no deal in place. Until we have signed papers a tweet from a press conference doesnt move the needle for me.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Good now we can play football. Dak will get a deal and nobody going anywhere. Everybody likes each other and this new staff is better than the old one. All on the same page.