Dak Hater's Myth: We Can't Build Around a QB Market Value Contract

Qcard

Reaction score
Please all you Dak Hater's I kindly ask you answer 2 questions

1. Which players did we lose to Free Agency because of Tony Romo's Market Value setting contract?

2. Which players on the roster will we lose that we would have wanted to keep if we sign Dak to Market Value Contract.

Thank you!

817Gill

Reaction score
Literally the only pro bowler who will leave next year is Byron, and it has nothing to do with Dak. From everything I’ve heard the team views him as a 10ish million dollars CB, FO wouldn’t pay him regardless.

Maliek Collins, Jeff Heath, Anthony Brown (who could get resigned) are all nice players but aren’t core guys. You pay the core and you draft and use smart FA/trades to build a middle class and depth. From a Peter King article I read today,

“Football salaries, particularly quarterback salaries, are Monopoly-money deals. I think a smart GM can pay a superstar quarterback the going rate and still have enough to build a championship team if he drafts well. The key, to me: turn over the midsection of the roster often, and have a good contributing middle class. Look at San Francisco. They paid a quarterback, but they got to a Super Bowl because of shrewd personnel management by GM John Lynch and personnel czar Adam Peters—with strong non-first-round picks like George Kittle (fifth round), Fred Warner (third), Dre Greenlaw (fifth) and Deebo Samuel (second), and signings of important contributors off the street, like wideout Kendrick Bourne, running backs Raheem Mostertand Matt Breida, and corners K’Waun Williams and Emmanuel Moseley.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/17/tom-brady-philip-rivers-nfl-qbs-fmia-peter-king/

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. Yes we absolutely hit a wall with adding talent once Romo was paid.

2. We don't yet know who we will add and lose for sure.

3. We do know this. Most good teams that pay a QB top dollar also don't have to pay top dollar for most of their OL, Wr, RB, to make the QB function. Guys like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, wilson etc skimp on offense cause those guys can help over come a lack of talent while the team builds defense.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Literally the only pro bowler who will leave next year is Byron, and it has nothing to do with Dak. From everything I’ve heard the team views him as a 10ish million dollars CB, FO wouldn’t pay him regardless.

I also wouldn't say its a lock that Byron Jones will leave. I think its a lock they let him test FA but if he doesn't get a crazy offer, its still pretty good odds that he comes back to Dallas for about the amount they have already offered him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We lost Ware ans Leary due to the cap, we also were non factors in F.A for years. Most importantly, it was not a recipe fo a S.B trophy.
Ware was cut because he refused to renegotiate a team friendly deal, unlike the other highly paid Cowboys like Romo and Witten. Jerry tried to work with Ware so he could remain a Cowboy, he refused. It wasn't Romo's contract that got Ware cut, it was his own unwillingness to work with Jerry on a team friendly deal.

Loso86

Reaction score
We lost Ware ans Leary due to the cap, we also were non factors in F.A for years. Most importantly, it was not a recipe fo a S.B trophy.
Leary was with us for a while not due to CAP dallas just didnt want to pay him. They didnt want to pay Ware either and he was under contract still he even offered to take. Pay cut they just disnt want to keep him .

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

The Cowboys were non factors in FA not because of Romo's contract but because of all the dead money from renegotiating contracts that added dead money down the road. This started the very first year the cap came into existence and that vicious cycle continued until about 2 or 3 years ago when Stephen finally said that cycle has to stop.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Yes we absolutely hit a wall with adding talent once Romo was paid.

How is Romo's contract to blame for bad drafting? The draft is where you add talent and build your team. FA exists to augment and add a few key pieces when you are ready to make that run. If we failed to add talent then that is directly related to terrible drafting choices and little to do with the QB's salary.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Fun fact, Romo's contract worked out to be about 14% of the team's overall cap. Apply that to the 2019 cap and its 27 Million, which is a little under the Russell Wilson contract that is very likely to be the benchmark for Dak's new contract.

First why are you using 2019 instead of 2020 numbers? Mahomes will be the salary setter.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Please all you Dak Hater's I kindly ask you answer 2 questions

1. Which players did we lose to Free Agency because of Tony Romo's Market Value setting contract?

2. Which players on the roster will we lose that we would have wanted to keep if we sign Dak to Market Value Contract.

Thank you!
just one more reason why debating this will get no where, #1 is not the same as today, with the QB contract or the contracts in general on the team.