Dak Holding the Ball

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Terribly sorry about creating another Dak thread. I know we have an awful lot of them. However, I think this explains at least part of the problem that Dak is having. In fact, this is a bit more of a Garrett thread than it is a Dak thread. Let me explain.

The problem that I am noticing from Dak is that he is holding onto the ball far too long in the NFL. Look at what happened in Tennessee. Even in his rookie year, he had tendencies to hold onto the ball for a long time. However, that may not be solely on him. Romo would also hold onto the ball for ages, and he took a lot of abuse that could have been avoided by being a bit more quick with his balls.

So, to me, this is more of an indictment on Jason Garrett. The fact that we had a potentially-HOF caliber QB and a probably average QB that both are having that problem is significantly problematic, yet common among them. To me, Dak would do better with a WCO-style chap who encourages quick passes. However, it also means that we need better playcalling for this to work. Firstly, we are FAR too predictable. If the commentators and most average observers can tell what we're going to do, what makes the coaches think that the defences won't know what we're going to do? We really need to be less predictable. That will help Dak because defences will have to defend more options.

Secondly, I'm stunned that we don't run more slants or PAs. We are an offence that is designed to run. That is all well and good, but it's not being properly complimented. We don't run as much PA as I think we should. It really does compliment the run well, and it would give the defence a bit more pause to think about what we're actually going to do. This ties nicely into what I said earlier about not being so predictable. If defences know that we run a lot on first down (because we do), then a PA on first down at different parts of the game would be good because defences will have to back away from the line on first down.

As I stated also, the slants are severely lacking, and they are perfect for Dak to get the ball out quickly. Additionally, slants are actually good for gaining yardage. Plus, considering the penalties that our offence is committing because of the long time that Dak is taking to hold onto the ball, slants and other quick passes can help us NOT be staring down the barrel of 3rd and 15+. We get a lot of those 3rd downs, and it is highly improbable to consistently convert those 3rd downs. So, this is more reason to use more quick balls.

It’s a team and offense designed around the oline. Now that the oline and te blocking sucks it’s over.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
You are very correct, Both Romo and now Dak have held onto the ball too long. It’s obviously a scheme and coaching issue....

QT

Reaction score
This 17 year old kid on instagram defending Dak on the dallascowboys feed. He said Dak was a 4th round pick b/c of his DUI, not b/c of his inabilities... OMG, that got me LOL.... Kids....

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
When you're playbook looks like a tecmobowl playbook , the opposing defenses can easily predict and know every play .

Try being the quarterback of that team .

InTheZone

Reaction score
Terribly sorry about creating another Dak thread. I know we have an awful lot of them. However, I think this explains at least part of the problem that Dak is having. In fact, this is a bit more of a Garrett thread than it is a Dak thread. Let me explain.

The problem that I am noticing from Dak is that he is holding onto the ball far too long in the NFL. Look at what happened in Tennessee. Even in his rookie year, he had tendencies to hold onto the ball for a long time. However, that may not be solely on him. Romo would also hold onto the ball for ages, and he took a lot of abuse that could have been avoided by being a bit more quick with his balls.

So, to me, this is more of an indictment on Jason Garrett. The fact that we had a potentially-HOF caliber QB and a probably average QB that both are having that problem is significantly problematic, yet common among them. To me, Dak would do better with a WCO-style chap who encourages quick passes. However, it also means that we need better playcalling for this to work. Firstly, we are FAR too predictable. If the commentators and most average observers can tell what we're going to do, what makes the coaches think that the defences won't know what we're going to do? We really need to be less predictable. That will help Dak because defences will have to defend more options.

Secondly, I'm stunned that we don't run more slants or PAs. We are an offence that is designed to run. That is all well and good, but it's not being properly complimented. We don't run as much PA as I think we should. It really does compliment the run well, and it would give the defence a bit more pause to think about what we're actually going to do. This ties nicely into what I said earlier about not being so predictable. If defences know that we run a lot on first down (because we do), then a PA on first down at different parts of the game would be good because defences will have to back away from the line on first down.

As I stated also, the slants are severely lacking, and they are perfect for Dak to get the ball out quickly. Additionally, slants are actually good for gaining yardage. Plus, considering the penalties that our offence is committing because of the long time that Dak is taking to hold onto the ball, slants and other quick passes can help us NOT be staring down the barrel of 3rd and 15+. We get a lot of those 3rd downs, and it is highly improbable to consistently convert those 3rd downs. So, this is more reason to use more quick balls.
I stopped reading after the 2nd paragraph to say Dak is staring down WIDE OPEN WRs and still not letting it go. There should be no focus on the coaching or playbook in this regard until he fixes that himself.

khiladi

Reaction score
Actually, Linehan has shortened the routes for Dak.

And when Romo held onto the ball too long per Parcells, it had absolutely nothing to do with being afraid and not being able to anticipate routes. What a Parcells meant for Romo was that he was always trying to make a play and not throw it away and he wanted Romo to save it for the next play. And we all know how conservative Parcells was and his own boy Bledsoe was actually worse at it and Parcells was forced to bench him.

Dak holding on to the ball too long is him refusing to throw on QB windows which are normal for the NFL and being check down Charlie.

TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT CONTEXTS.

It’s comical that people try and compare Romo to Dak, trying to attribute one’s lack of success on a Garrett offense with him calling plays and a Linehan one that employs way more play-action, bootlegs and roll-outs as well as even more pick plays nowadays.

Romo and Dak are absolutely nothing alike. As even Witten said, the offense with Romo was attacking the outside hashes and deep. With Dak, it’s not anymore.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
And it’s hilarious to me, because when the Giants game was approaching, every Dak defender was taking about Linehan not attacking it deep and when Dak actually threw it deep on a scripted play and scored they thought it was the cure all.

It’s every excuse in the book for Dak. Dak only throws when he knows where he is going from te beginning and he’s not a progression type of QB.

CB61

Reaction score
To me Prescott's seems to hold the ball because he doesn't want to make a mistake and then he ends up making a mistake anyway he's all discombobulated and I attribute that directly to the quarterbacks coach and of course the offensive coordinator and the head coach he's a young guy they should have him better prepared, working with him everyday on his footwork mechanics Etc not just playing catch with him he has to become a better decision-maker half the time he makes those mistakes he runs right into the pressure instead of running away from it he needs to make his mind up that he's not going to fail but we all know he is being set up to fail by we all know who, I do believe if he had an experience quarterbacks coach he would be a lot better off. With that being said there's no doubt that this offensive line needs to play better no if ands or buts about it and this is not a good week for them to work their problems out

khiladi

Reaction score
Of course the Coryell requires good blocking, but this gets back to the reality of handing the offense over to Dak in the first place. The reason they brought in Linehan was because they didn’t want to change the offense anyways.

So it really shows the incompetence of the guys in charge and what really motivates the decision. It was clearly stupid and was really a power play to get Romo out or to save money, or both.

CB61

Reaction score
We also need to adapt our play calling to take advantage of what the defense is giving you they don't have everything covered there's always something there for the most part the problem is finding it and we all know we don't have the people capable of that, I would be watching a lot of film this week seeing what they give me on certain situations he needs to learn how to audible on the line and we need to stop going to those stupid freaking plays where we only have one option, what I mean by that is we have our mind made up who were going to no matter what the defense shows it's stupid idiotic and downright does not work 90% of the time unless a Defender falls down. Maybe we need to go back to basics short passes Dink and dunk it's not pretty but we need to build up Prescott's confident somehow in this whole team's confidence for that matter

CB61

Reaction score
We also need to adapt our play calling to take advantage of what the defense is giving you they don't have everything covered there's always something there for the most part the problem is finding it and we all know we don't have the people capable of that, I would be watching a lot of film this week seeing what they give me on certain situations he needs to learn how to audible on the line and we need to stop going to those stupid freaking plays where we only have one option, what I mean by that is we have our mind made up who were going to no matter what the defense shows it's stupid idiotic and downright does not work 90% of the time unless a Defender falls down. Maybe we need to go back to basics short passes Dink and dunk it's not pretty but we need to build up Prescott's confident somehow in this whole team's confidence for that matter
As Bill Parcells said just drive the bus

Blake

Reaction score
When you're playbook looks like a tecmobowl playbook , the opposing defenses can easily predict and know every play .

Bet Red wishes he had Bo Jackson. He's an automatic win with that playbook.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
blah blah Dak is the best quarterback ever. He just doesn't have any good players around him or the best coaches and gurus in the NFL. blah blah...Dak is the best.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
blah blah Dak is the best quarterback ever. He just doesn't have any good players around him or the best coaches and gurus in the NFL. blah blah...Dak is the best.

Just to be clear, I do not think that Dak is the best QB by any stretch. As I have said, I think that Dak is an average QB. Not great, but not dreadful. Just...meh. My thoughts on this are that Dak needs to be a bit quicker getting the ball out. I noticed that Romo did have a tendency for getting rid of the ball rather late as well, but apparently for different reasons. I think that quicker passes might help Dak cut down on the fumbles and not get hit so much.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is nothing new. People used to complain about Romo doing the same. It's JG'S sucky scene.

Exactly. I understand that the motivations of each QB may be different, and Dak certainly has a lot to improve. I just think a bit quicker balls would be good.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It’s a team and offense designed around the oline. Now that the oline and te blocking sucks it’s over.

Well, again, that's where the coaches need to figure out a solution to that problem. We know that the offence isn't what we'd like it to be, so the coaches must build a plan to help Dak. To do this, Dak must get rid of the ball quicker. If he does that and he's hit, it should be an extra 15 yards given the current rules.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Precisely, and even Romo struggled more than he should have had to with that. We were vanilla then, and we are very vanilla now. As far as changes go between Dak and Romo, it's almost nil in terms of play design and structure. Garrett and Linehan need to leave the 90s in the 90s, and help Dak be better. However, I think we all know that Garrett and Linehan are not player developers. I'm not defending Dak's weaknesses. I'm fully aware that he's made his share of errors and costly mistakes. However, I think that the coaches can do more to help him, but they haven't done so.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
To me Prescott's seems to hold the ball because he doesn't want to make a mistake and then he ends up making a mistake anyway he's all discombobulated and I attribute that directly to the quarterbacks coach and of course the offensive coordinator and the head coach he's a young guy they should have him better prepared, working with him everyday on his footwork mechanics Etc not just playing catch with him he has to become a better decision-maker half the time he makes those mistakes he runs right into the pressure instead of running away from it he needs to make his mind up that he's not going to fail but we all know he is being set up to fail by we all know who, I do believe if he had an experience quarterbacks coach he would be a lot better off. With that being said there's no doubt that this offensive line needs to play better no if ands or buts about it and this is not a good week for them to work their problems out

Yes, and this is another case of needing better coaching. He's clearly struggling, and I reckon it has something to do with pathetic play design and coaching. The quick passing would also help freeze the defences a tad more because the oline wouldn't have to block so long, and 3rd and long would be less frequent.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I stopped reading after the 2nd paragraph to say Dak is staring down WIDE OPEN WRs and still not letting it go. There should be no focus on the coaching or playbook in this regard until he fixes that himself.

Oh, I'm fully aware that he's got a lot of problems of his own. I think he has to do a much better job of seeing the field and making better decisions. He's got his share of the blame to shoulder for our predicament this season. However, I think that the coaches could do a bit more to help Dak a long. Would adjusting routes a tad to get him quick releases not help Dak?