Dak Holding the Ball

Number1

Reaction score

Where did this QB go?

I think the issue is where did Witten, Dez, Butler, and Williams go?

all of those are big targets with well earned reps for winning battles for the ball

perhaps it's simply a matter of not trusting a host of new targets, not to mention time to throw

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think the issue is where did Witten, Dez, Butler, and Williams go?

all of those are big targets with well earned reps for winning battles for the ball

perhaps it's simply a matter of not trusting a host of new targets, not to mention time to throw
I was referring to his pocket presence and confidence. That is not the same player that is out there now. Not by a long shot.

khiladi

Reaction score
Again, Dak holding onto the ball too long is not the same thing as Romo.

The OC was Garrett when Romo was QB and nobody was open and he was buying time. Garrett’s playcalling put way too pressure on Romo and making something happen, which is why, when we faced a legitimate defense in the end, it would often end in disasters. You can’t win that way and Romo couldn’t overcome such incompetence on his own.

With Dak’s he’s imply holding onto the ball too long even when something is there. Dak’s tendencies are out there and his passing charts are testament to this. The guy simply avoids the deep middle of the field and he throws short all day long.

All this is even obvious from the padding yardage as well.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I didnt know about that. Would be interessting to know more about this.

See, my biggest problem with the coaching staff is more Garrett than Linehan, but I think that Linehan should be brave enough to use a few of the plays that he knows as he is from the WCO-style with Mike Tice. So, he should probably have a few plays that would help Dak that he used with other WCO-style QBs. That's more along the lines of what I was referring to. Maybe it's more on Garrett from that standpoint though, so I can see how that could be unfair to Linehan if that is the case.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Romo holding onto the ball and not simply getting rid of it when needed showed to me that inspite being gifted with talent and high football IQ, that he was infected with the same hubris as Garret and the f.o. It's arrogance
Yeah it’s the same kind of thing that Favre’s coaches struggled to coach out of him. Favre thought he could fit it in anywhere and the few years that he actually didn’t try to do that he was MVP of the league. But think of the coaches it took to do that. Holmgren/Lewis/Mornhinweg/Reid all on the same staff. I don’t think Romo ever had anything like that.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I think Fitzpatrick if given a better line (OL) can make most defenses cry, of course he is gunslinger gets into trouble sometimes with Int

Number1

Reaction score
I was referring to his pocket presence and confidence. That is not the same player that is out there now. Not by a long shot.

"pocket presence and confidence" and accuracy have a lot to do with being on the same page with targets and trusting them

Number1

Reaction score
Again, Dak holding onto the ball too long is not the same thing as Romo.

The OC was Garrett when Romo was QB and nobody was open and he was buying time. Garrett’s playcalling put way too pressure on Romo and making something happen, which is why, when we faced a legitimate defense in the end, it would often end in disasters. You can’t win that way and Romo couldn’t overcome such incompetence on his own.

With Dak’s he’s imply holding onto the ball too long even when something is there. Dak’s tendencies are out there and his passing charts are testament to this. The guy simply avoids the deep middle of the field and he throws short all day long.

All this is even obvious from the padding yardage as well.

"The OC was Garrett when Romo was QB and nobody was open and he was buying time."

ummm ... you mean guys like TO, Witten, Miles, Dez, Laurent, Durant, and TWill were never open? really?
and you kinda implied Gallup, Hurns, Thompson, and Swain are always open

get a grip - does it surprise you any 3rd year QB with 7 new targets on the game day holds the ball too long?

the kid has thrown 5 INTs and all were catch-able passes - only one a bad decision

and you want to hang him and not geniuses who engineered this?

khiladi

Reaction score
"The OC was Garrett when Romo was QB and nobody was open and he was buying time."

ummm ... you mean guys like TO, Witten, Miles, Dez, Laurent, Durant, and TWill were never open? really?
and you kinda implied Gallup, Hurns, Thompson, and Swain are always open

get a grip - does it surprise you any 3rd year QB with 7 new targets on the game day holds the ball too long?

the kid has thrown 5 INTs and all were catch-able
passes - only one a bad decision

and you want to hang him and not geniuses who engineered this?

Yes I do mean that and I also mean it with the trash we trotted out there with Romo that was over-rated when three of the five OL that were starting were supposedly “all pro” the year before Romo actually started gave up 52 sacks and Bledsoe the year Romo started was throwing at 53% and more INTs than TDs and Robinson as a WR came on years later and did nothing outside Romo. What did Miles do outside Romo? Dak is not even on Bledsoe’s league and in that context, with his slow reaction time on par with Bledsoe, except Bledsoe could launch the ball over the field, he’d be a joke.

Sounds to me like your just throwing names out there pretending like they actually did something outside Romo.

Sorry, but all these WRs we have now are because they were supposedly Dak-friendly and Dak himself said they didn’t need a number 1 WR when he was making excuses for his garbage play, when he forced it to Dez.

And no, not just 1 of the ‘kids’ INT were other people’s fault and he should have had other INTs if the DB or lineman didn’t drop the passes right in their hands, like the ones against the Giants. We can play that game all day long about this ‘kid’, who also had a bunch of stupid fumbles because he holds on to the ball way too long, even when he has WRs open.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand why people continue to ignore this.

Dak's fundamental flaws are beyond coaching.

Any scheme that plays to his limited strengths would be immediately exposed by defenses.
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer: