CFZ Dak is Good Enough to Drive the Bus

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I said this over and over last year, and many twisted it into an anti-Dak thread or a pro-Dak thread. This is neither of these. This is just breaking down the facts of team-building and the real-world chance of 1 in 32 that Dak could QB a team to a championship. As we've seen before, when his line is not blocking, when he gets rattled, when his primary WR gets stymied and his number 1 RB injured, he can't put the team on his shoulder and get it done. Or maybe he can, but we haven't seen it in the games he's played thus far, but still has it in him. Who knows? We could debate that all day....

What I'm almost certain of is that he's good enough to drive the bus if the right pieces are in place. I think he can get you there, and then some. I think he could dominate with the right guys around him, which is why I'd be hesitant to not bring in D-Hop. When an opportunity like that presents itself, I think you go and get it.

I don't even think Gallup would be mad about that, although saying to bring in Hopkins is not a bash on Gallup. I don't care what people say about last year. The dude is still a baller. And part of me knows that just Gallup, Cooks, and Lamb is a load for any team to handle, especially if they have to deal with a Tony Pollard or a Deuce Vaughn and our TE four horsemen, or whatever they end up being, but I have a feeling people will soon fear our guys. Lunda Wells is one of the best under-the-radar coaches and just doesn't get enough credit, in my humble opinion.

I can't wait to see what training camp brings. We brought in quite a bit of weaponry and you know Dallas is hosting an open competition at WR, at least I'd say. So I'm looking out for guys like Durden, Brooks, and my boy Cropper. I'm also excited to see some guys back from last year or whatever. I think pound for pound, the 2023 UDFA class is just better, and there are some ballers in that group.

Of those guys, plus our draft picks, Dallas has a chance to really construct a dynamic offense and defense. I expect the overall competition in the NFL to be up overall, too, because people are out more, football is getting bigger again, and there's an influx of athletes coming in to take jobs.. it's always fun to watch that part unfold. For now, the tension builds up as news breaks about Parsons' tweets.

With the right personnel on a Parsons-led defense, and the right tools in place for a Parsons-led offense, I have no doubt Dak can get it done with the right tools. The biggest question lingering right now is: to get D-Hop or to not get D-Hop after June 1st?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I said this over and over last year, and many twisted it into an anti-Dak thread or a pro-Dak thread. This is neither of these. This is just breaking down the facts of team-building and the real-world chance of 1 in 32 that Dak could QB a team to a championship. As we've seen before, when his line is not blocking, when he gets rattled, when his primary WR gets stymied and his number 1 RB injured, he can't put the team on his shoulder and get it done. Or maybe he can, but we haven't seen it in the games he's played thus far, but still has it in him. Who knows? We could debate that all day....

What I'm almost certain of is that he's good enough to drive the bus if the right pieces are in place. I think he can get you there, and then some. I think he could dominate with the right guys around him, which is why I'd be hesitant to not bring in D-Hop. When an opportunity like that presents itself, I think you go and get it.

I don't even think Gallup would be mad about that, although saying to bring in Hopkins is not a bash on Gallup. I don't care what people say about last year. The dude is still a baller. And part of me knows that just Gallup, Cooks, and Lamb is a load for any team to handle, especially if they have to deal with a Tony Pollard or a Deuce Vaughn and our TE four horsemen, or whatever they end up being, but I have a feeling people will soon fear our guys. Lunda Wells is one of the best under-the-radar coaches and just doesn't get enough credit, in my humble opinion.

I can't wait to see what training camp brings. We brought in quite a bit of weaponry and you know Dallas is hosting an open competition at WR, at least I'd say. So I'm looking out for guys like Durden, Brooks, and my boy Cropper. I'm also excited to see some guys back from last year or whatever. I think pound for pound, the 2023 UDFA class is just better, and there are some ballers in that group.

Of those guys, plus our draft picks, Dallas has a chance to really construct a dynamic offense and defense. I expect the overall competition in the NFL to be up overall, too, because people are out more, football is getting bigger again, and there's an influx of athletes coming in to take jobs.. it's always fun to watch that part unfold. For now, the tension builds up as news breaks about Parsons' tweets.

With the right personnel on a Parsons-led defense, and the right tools in place for a Parsons-led offense, I have no doubt Dak can get it done with the right tools. The biggest question lingering right now is: to get D-Hop or to not get D-Hop after June 1st?
Sometimes Dak is good enough to drive the team.
And sometimes he's bad enough to hold back the team.

Last year, at least, he wasn't good enough to drive the team *consistently*, and that's what you need from a bus driver.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Is Dak good enough? I'll believe it if/when I see it. I'm still waiting.

As for D-Hop, I don't think the Cowboys are even considering him. He wants paid and the Cowboys have plenty of their guys to pay. You got Cooks. That's your WR.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is funny. One doesn't know if Dak can carry the team or be more than a bus driver? What games/seasons have y'all been watching the past 7 seasons?

In 7 seasons played (it's actually 7 seasons in total due to Dak's season ending injury early in 2020, plus missing 5 games with another injury last year in 2022), Dak has passed for over 4k yards TWICE with one season being 98 yards from being a 5k passing season. Dak has passed for over 3k yards in every season except his rookie season (2016) and the early season ending leg injury in 2020. In 2020, Dak only plated for 4.25 games due to his early season ending leg injury, but he was averaging 436 yards passing/game. Do the math. During that 16 game season, Dak would have easily shattered Peyton Manning's NFL record single season record of 5,400 since Dak was on pace to pass for almost 7k yards that season. Yet, all of that is not enough to make some realize Dak is more than a bus driver?
:huh:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Is Dak good enough? I'll believe it if/when I see it. I'm still waiting.

As for D-Hop, I don't think the Cowboys are even considering him. He wants paid and the Cowboys have plenty of their guys to pay. You got Cooks. That's your WR.
You might be right. But then, Jerry has to think about that sense of regret if Cooks or Lamb or Gallup ends up injured. I get that it's a lot. But I've said from the start that they should go into this season with a stacked WR room. I stand by that. So I won't be mad if they end up reeling in Hopkins.

12+88=7

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what Prescott does in the regular season. He could be the MVP. It doesn't matter. The only games that Prescott will be judged on are in January.

If Dallas loses in the playoffs because the offense couldn't score. Dallas will be looking for a new QB.

That's it in a nutshell.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This is funny. One doesn't know if Dak can carry the team or be more than a bus driver? What games/seasons have y'all been watching the past 7 seasons?

In 7 seasons played (it's actually 7 seasons in total due to Dak's season ending injury early in 2020, plus missing 5 games with another injury last year in 2022), Dak has passed for over 4k yards TWICE with one season being 98 yards from being a 5k passing season. Dak has passed for over 3k yards in every season except his rookie season (2016) and the early season ending leg injury in 2020. In 2020, Dak only plated for 4.25 games due to his early season ending leg injury, but he was averaging 436 yards passing/game. Do the math. During that 16 game season, Dak would have easily shattered Peyton Manning's NFL record single season record of 5,400 since Dak was on pace to pass for almost 7k yards that season. Yet, all of that is not enough to make some realize Dak is more than a bus driver?
:huh:
If only Deek did not have to decide the game on the last play of our 2021 and 2022 playoffs.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
.What I'm almost certain of is that he's good enough to drive the bus if the right pieces are in place. I think he can get you there, and then some. I think he could dominate with the right guys around him, which is why I'd be hesitant to not bring in D-Hop. When an opportunity like that presents itself, I think you go and get it.
OK, so you think the receiver corp needs more than Cooks to get us over the hump. If D-Hop is the player that makes the team 'compete', then yep go for it....as for the Dak Question, lets give him every possible weapon in 2023 and make that decision whether to invest/extend based on the view that he'll never get a better team around him.

If it succeeds we probably need to follow it up and go ALL-IN (behind Dak) and d@mn the mid/long term consequences....indeed that may not matter as we're champions. If it fails it'll mean the rookie QB we draft as his replacement, will have a WR room of: CeeDee, D-Hop, Gallup and Cooks, as well as money to shore up the O-Line (Biadasz and Steele)

GINeric

Reaction score

I agree with what you posted, but it's a couple things that would keep many if not ALL quarterbacks from succeeding.

Patrick Mahomes is probably one of the greatest quarterbacks to have ever played.... what happened in the Superbowl when his offensive line couldn't block??? They got whooped that's what happened. Why didn't Mahomes put the team on his shoulders while he was running for his life??

Brady is the GOAT, but what happened to him against the Giants pass Rush in the Superbowl when his offensive line couldn't block them, and they weren't even blitzing..... the GOAT loss, that's what happened. Why didn't the GOAT put that undefeated team on his shoulders despite his offensive line failing to contain the Giants pass rush?? He's the GOAT right???

Again, I have no disagreement with the entire post, but you can't name me one quarterback in history to have put a team on his shoulders without the help of solid offensive line play, a solid running game and receivers who couldn't get open.

Again, Dak is expected to do things other quarterbacks CAN'T do.

One last thing you left off of your list is weak coaching and team management. What offensive coordinator or coach has Dak had that's on the same level or better than the top quarterbacks in the NFL? Coaching and team development is important to the development in a quarterback's career, correct??

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I agree with what you posted, but it's a couple things that would keep many if not ALL quarterbacks from succeeding.

Patrick Mahomes is probably one of the greatest quarterbacks to have ever played.... what happened in the Superbowl when his offensive line couldn't block??? They got whooped that's what happened. Why didn't Mahomes put the team on his shoulders while he was running for his life??

Wow, I think you'll find that the Chiefs were missing both starting Tackles (and possibly more from the O-Line), he was running for his life, let alone trying to play. Dak's never been in that situation, a slight Dakcentric .... "WHAT ABOUT.....ARGUMENT".

Dak wasnt under that pressure in either of the 49ERS games.... there may have been a trickle of pressure, which a mobile/aware QB could have overcome, as opposed to the constant flood Mahomes faced from left and right (as memory serves).

In the end it doesnt make any difference, Dak has to perform with what he's got in front of him, he's not getting anything better (even Steele isnt a reported great pass-blocking RT) with the CAP hit he's going to get. Personally agree, get D-Hop and so we can put the debate to rest one way or the other.

GINeric

Reaction score
Wow, I think you'll find that the Chiefs were missing both starting Tackles (and possibly more from the O-Line), he was running for his life, let alone trying to play. Dak's never been in that situation, a slight Dakcentric .... "WHAT ABOUT.....ARGUMENT".

Dak wasnt under that pressure in either of the 49ERS games.... there may have been a trickle of pressure, which a mobile/aware QB could have overcome, as opposed to the constant flood Mahomes faced from left and right (as memory serves).

In the end it doesnt make any difference, Dak has to perform with what he's got in front of him, he's not getting anything better (even Steele isnt a reported great pass-blocking RT) with the CAP hit he's going to get. Personally agree, get D-Hop and so we can put the debate to rest one way or the other.

Again... I agree with what was said, but... no quarterback can succeed without great efforts from their teammates AND great coaching.

Dak has alot to prove no doubt, but he or no other quarterbacks can do anything by themselves. That's all I was saying.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Again... I agree with what was said, but... no quarterback can succeed without great efforts from their teammates AND great coaching.

Dak has alot to prove no doubt, but he or no other quarterbacks can do anything by themselves. That's all I was saying.
But you're using an extreme to prove your point and whilst I agree that it's a team game it's only the QB that touches the ball in every offensive snap. Interestingly thinking about your point about Mahomes and the SB 'wipeout' I agree that Dak needs more protection as he struggles with mobility in the pocket.....it's like all of us, we need more support the older we get.

CCBoy

Reaction score
After their near-annual restructuring, Prescott’s cap hit goes from just under $27 million in 2023, to $59.5 million in 2024. Gallup is on the books for just under $6.8 million in 2023, but it jumps to $13.85 million in 2024. Cooks counts $6 million against the cap in 2023 and $10 million against the cap in 2024 (all numbers per OTC). Playing on Year 4 of his rookie deal, Lamb is just under $4.5 million against the cap in 2023 but his picked up fifth-year option will run almost $18 million in 2024. Most will agree, his new deal will almost certainly give him a top-5 salary.

As if all that isn’t enough, WR DeAndre Hopkins recently came available and Dallas appears a possibility for his services. This begs the question: How much money should the Cowboys dedicate to the passing offense? Passing efficiency (offensive and defensive) explains 55%-64% of the win-loss record variance. Rushing efficiency explains 5%-12%, while special teams (both kickoffs and punts) explains less than 2% of the win-loss variance.

Invest in the passing offense. Even if the Cowboys want to have a balanced attack in 2023, passing efficiency is arguably the most important part of today’s game. Passing efficiency also has a higher correlation to winning than any other aspect of the game. Winning teams are usually the ones who win the passing battles (both sides of the ball). Furthermore, passing offenses remain one of the most stable entities year-to-year, so it’s a safe way to allocate future funds.

The passing offense is the most impactful and it’s stable year-to-year. In other words, it has the highest yield while remaining the safest investment. The good news for Dallas is they have their contracts tapered strategically. Lamb is about to command top-of-the market prices but Gallup and Cooks are about to fall off the books (2025). Prescott’s enormous cap charge in 2024 is sure to be dealt with between now and then (via an extension) so his number will be far more palatable when the three WRs jump up in price (2024). Unbalanced rosters aren’t ideal but if a team is going to overload one facet of the game, it’s wise to make it the passing offense.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-cap-breakdown-passing-offense/

CCBoy

Reaction score

Brady is the GOAT, but what happened to him against the Giants pass Rush in the Superbowl when his offensive line couldn't block them, and they weren't even blitzing..... the GOAT loss, that's what happened. Why didn't the GOAT put that undefeated team on his shoulders despite his offensive line failing to contain the Giants pass rush?? He's the GOAT right???

Again, I have no disagreement with the entire post, but you can't name me one quarterback in history to have put a team on his shoulders without the help of solid offensive line play, a solid running game and receivers who couldn't get open.

One last thing you left off of your list is weak coaching and team management. What offensive coordinator or coach has Dak had that's on the same level or better than the top quarterbacks in the NFL? Coaching and team development is important to the development in a quarterback's career, correct??
Dallas has two consecutive years with 12 wins, and last year's with a 'weak' receiver group and injuries all over it's offensive line. Add in statistics of a backup quarterback and Prescott hardly is the goat of last season's deficiencies.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I don't see Dak driving the bus past 1 or 2 playoff wins. At some point the QB has to make plays under pressure. We watch good teams battle it out with both offenses making plays and it's against good defenses too. Josh Allen and Mahomes played on of the most epic playoff games a few years ago. We saw Hurts duel it out with Mahomes in the SB last year. Dak just never shows a great performance unless it's against a crap team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what Prescott does in the regular season. He could be the MVP. It doesn't matter. The only games that Prescott will be judged on are in January.

If Dallas loses in the playoffs because the offense couldn't score. Dallas will be looking for a new QB.

That's it in a nutshell.
Naw, blame goes back to why he doesn't have the top shelf players all aimed at the passing offense.

This season, go get him that last and top level receiver - Hopkins, and just watch where his passing led game goes!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Here's hoping MM finds a way to glean all of the success out of Dak humanly possible.

This should well be Dak's prove-it year to get it all together. He truly needs to improve.

The era of saying all of the right things to recover his "mojo" need to give way to proof.

Last edited: