Dak just made a huge mistake

Bigdog

Reaction score
I don’t see it as a bad move for Dak, as fans it’s annoying, but for him I think it’s fine.

31 million is enough to live on that’s for damn sure. Plus, there’s no way we won’t franchise him again next year if we don’t agree to a long term deal next year. ( we can all huff and puff that next year they won’t tag him, but they will)

He’s got the leverage to get what he wants in this extension unless we somehow stumble upon another QB that’s better then he is.
It’s a bad move if he sucks it up or gets injured. He does have insurance on him. I do applaud him for betting on himself but if reports are correct that he was guaranteed 110 million than I think it was foolish of him not to take it. If he wins endorsements will be coming in. If he doesn’t bye bye Dak. This is a cruel business. Take the money when you can especially since it was fair market value for what he is which was more than Wentz and Goff.

shabazz

Reaction score
Give good old Dak a break guys!
He gave it a scouts try but failed!
First and foremost he is very simple-minded(slow to react and poor under pressure) and he tried his best to hit the target here but to no avail.
He used every PR song and dance from his mother's unfortunate passing to giving the Cops 1 million (He will regret this move one day) to achieve what his talent level couldn't...a mega-deal.
Dak is toast now as its only a matter of time when Dalton comes in and Dak's shortcomings become a reality even to his most dedicated fans.
He rolled the dice with his hot new agent and got a Pity Tag rental for one year.
Jerry for many reasons figured it was the righteous price to pay(TAG) for his mistake back in 2016 not giving Romo his job back and jumping the gun on 4th round Prescott.
The Dak era is over and here's hoping our new QB can better utilize the weapons at his disposal.

...........yeah but he commanded the huddle and is such a better leader than Romo ever was.......

Bigdog

Reaction score
McCarthy’s hand is on this. I am sure a deal got done if Big Mike asked for it. It might actually be Dak’s last season in Dallas.

Who needs a QB next season - NE, Jax, Oakland, LAC, Washington, Chicago and Carolina. Have to assume Lawrence and Fields land in Jacksonville, Washington or Carolina. Las Vegas??? Not bad, maybe. NE clearly not bad. Chicago? Who the hell wants to play there. LAC is a dumpster fire. It’s pretty slim pickings for Dak.
LAC drafted a qb this year. The kid from Oregon. Forgot his name.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I don’t agree that it was a big risk at all. We’ve been told over and over again that he is a top 5 talent at the Qb position and that the market is preset and we have no choice but to sign him at that preset number.

Elite talent like Dakota will surely have no problem getting that contract from some team next year.
Most have him at top ten, not top five. I hope you're right though, we'll get a better trade package if he is top 5!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
lol im in the wrong racket lol

Me too. Would that I could get paid 100 million for something, granted football is a perishable skill, but if you could get 100 million guaranteed, all you need is a bare modicum of investing skill to be set for life. Ain't no one offering me that kind of money. If I got that for 5 years of work, I would make my proper safe investments and buy a houseboat in a nice area and retire. Play guitar, write some books. Have fun.

At one point, I considered a contract to teach English in Saudi Arabia for a big pile of money (not anywhere near 100 mil, but good money), but I turned it down. It was Saudi Arabia, so you might be able to figure out why. I won't explain it because I don't want the thread to turn political. I would have had a nice pile of bucks upon return to the US, though not NFL-style money. If they had offered me 100 million and iron-clad safety guarantees, I would have said yes.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the part that bothers me the most is the fact that it was was about his "next/next" contract before he has ever won really anything. The Jones's obviously have to worry about the cap and how to fit him in, so of course they would want that extra year. They have to fit a team around Dak and the cap hit a franchise QB takes up. To have it locked in for the longest possible - so you can maneuver the cap as needed.
Dak having to have only 4 years, so he gets to a bigger pay day quicker is the greed part.

If you sign the contract that Dallas was said to be offering - play your butt off for the next 4-5 years, win something, your still in your prime - then worry about your next deal. All while earning a top QB money, while doing so.
If the worst happens and you get injured - your still set for life with deal you signed.

You have a time in the country where so many are struggling - this isn't going to play well for Dak. Your play slips just a little - the fans are going to be quick to pounce on you.
If the season doesn't happen or is limited like the other leagues are doing - if there is limited fans or fans at all - the cap is going to go down. Dak, you might wanna start worrying about your current situation and than worry about that huge pay day you have your mind made up you deserve in 4 years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
LMAO WAS IT AN "HONEST OFFER" STEVIE?
iu

shabazz

Reaction score
We all watched his invaluable leadership skills in last year's game in Philly!!!:banghead:

Yeah but he had a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum in that game........which apparently totally healed completely in just 6 days afterward........for the next game against another scrub team to pad the stats in the March to a bloated contract......that never came

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
It's a simple equation really. If he stays healthy the next two seasons, he makes $68mm, and hits free agency for a MASSIVE payday in line when new TV deals are coming into play (this is of course assuming the Cowboys don't franchise him a third time, but that seems unlikely given the $50mm price tag and their cap situation that year). If he stays healthy, it was a phenomenal decision. If he doesn't stay healthy, it's all sorts of question marks. Clearly he feels his track record of staying healthy will continue. Me, personally, I feel like that's a big risk to run and regression to the mean (injury-wise) is more likely.

But, man, I like his confidence in betting on himself. He certainly seems confident at least. These things can only be judged by how they look in hindsight, can't be judged from where we sit today. And in my mind it will come down almost exclusively if he stays healthy, because I believe it'll be hard for him to go wrong in this new offense with the weapons he has at his disposal.

The problem with this is that the cap is either going down or staying the same next year more than likely. That means if he is franchised again he will take up 37 million dollars worth of cap space. Is already the number one quarterback in cap space taken up this year and with the cap not going up I don't think Dallas can afford to up that. I truly believe he's here this year and we can't afford him next year.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think the part that bothers me the most is the fact that it was was about his "next/next" contract before he has ever won really anything. The Jones's obviously have to worry about the cap and how to fit him in, so of course they would want that extra year. They have to fit a team around Dak and the cap hit a franchise QB takes up. To have it locked in for the longest possible - so you can maneuver the cap as needed.
Dak having to have only 4 years, so he gets to a bigger pay day quicker is the greed part.

If you sign the contract that Dallas was said to be offering - play your butt off for the next 4-5 years, win something, your still in your prime - then worry about your next deal. All while earning a top QB money, while doing so.
If the worst happens and you get injured - your still set for life with deal you signed.

You have a time in the country where so many are struggling - this isn't going to play well for Dak. Your play slips just a little - the fans are going to be quick to pounce on you.
If the season doesn't happen or is limited like the other leagues are doing - if there is limited fans or fans at all - the cap is going to go down. Dak, you might wanna start worrying about your current situation and that huge pay day you have your mind made up you deserve in 4 years.

The honeymoon is over. If his play does slip, there will be no wiggle room on his next deal. I think him and his agent overvalued his worth at this point. I get trying to maximize your earnings, but this was pure greed and a terrible decision on his part.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Dak becomes the highest paid single season Cowboy in the team’s history. And yes, both sides can renew their conversations at the completion of the 2020 NFL season.

Or both sides can end up plodding down this path again next spring, with Dak ending up with yet another franchise tag and another guaranteed salary, the next time at $37.7 million for the 2021 season. o_O

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Can't believe it.

Lost a lot of respect for him.

He clearly is putting himself before the team when a fair offer was given to him.

I have a feeling this situation will not work out in his favor.

Disappointed in Prescott.

He didn't do a deal last year when he was only making 2mil.
Why do one this year when he's making 31mil gtd?
Moreover, why do one *next* year when he's making 38mil?

Looked like doing the Kirk Cousins was baked into the cake since last year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rayman chill my brother I mean what are you going to miss all those Field Goals or the 3 and outs?
new coach, new mentality, new energy. We are throwing out the baby with the bathwater here. Only gonna have 1 year with MM and we will never know what could have been. UNLESS MM secretly wanted it this way,which I doubt.

Rayman70

Reaction score
MAYBE I should look at it like this, we are living in an uncertain world right now, with the virus and such, could it be, THAT played a role in this today? On either side?Food for thought. MAYBE this is Dallas' way of playing it safe,dipping their toe in the water and not commiting longterm to a guy that might cost them dead money if we have no season?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
new coach, new mentality, new energy. We are throwing out the baby with the bathwater here. Only gonna have 1 year with MM and we will never know what could have been. UNLESS MM secretly wanted it this way,which I doubt.

Lets all band together and our only goal being the glory of the STAR!!!
Let's start winning some games and making some good championship strides in the playoffs!!!!!.
Go, BOYS!!!!

Big_D

Reaction score
MAYBE I should look at it like this, we are living in an uncertain world right now, with the virus and such, could it be, THAT played a role in this today? On either side?Food for thought. MAYBE this is Dallas' way of playing it safe,dipping their toe in the water and not commiting longterm to a guy that might cost them dead money if we have no season?

I definitely think the possibility of no 2020 season played a role in this.