Dak just made a huge mistake

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Not harder than I think at all. I'm well aware of how hard it is to draft a good quarterback, but I'm also aware that it can be done. I'm for Jones having a backbone when he's right and when he's giving the team the chance to have a championship. That's the case here. It's because overpaying Dak is a guarantee to return to the garbage years. Overplaying Dak would be like going with Mark Rypien (who was quite capable, btw.) playing for the 1987 Broncos. That team couldn't win the Super Bowl with a great quarterback in John Elway. There's no way they could have won with just a good quarterback in Mark Rypien. That's what Dak is asking us to do. He's good. He's Mark Rypien-level good, not John Elway or Joe Montana-level elite. If this were a straight-up market, we might get away with paying Dak what he wants, but it's not. It's a salary-capped market, meaning we have exactly the same money that each other team has to spend. It's artificial, but it's what the league chose. If it were straight economics, the Cowboys are the most successful team in the league financially and so Jerry could just outbid everyone else for the players he wants. But he can't. He has to leave money under the cap to pay for highly skilled players on both our lines, our wide receivers, running backs, and especially our defense. Overpay, and you'll end up with a level of players from scrubs to average. And that's a guarantee that no quarterback, no matter how good, is good enough for a championship. No, thank you. If you hated the mediocre years, sit back and enjoy because that's what you'll get more of.

So, yes, it's very hard to draft the right quarterback, but with Dak having pushed Jerry to the point he has, Jerry has no choice. We can't get a championship with Dak+scrubs and average guys, so he'll have to have his scouts do the best job possible sizing up college quarterbacks and maybe trade up for the best one possible. Is it a guarantee of success? No, of course not. There isn't any move that is full-proof guaranteed. But it's what you have to do when your above-average quarterback puts you in the position Dak has put Jerry in. So, good for Jerry for having a backbone. When he's right, a backbone is a great thing, and doesn't compare to his blunder getting rid of Jimmy. It's compares to his backbone with DeMarco Murry. Murray wasn't worth what he was demanding. Dak isn't worth what he's demanding. So let him go. It's better for the team.
We dont know if Jerry is right or wrong with this decision. We only know he was wrong back then is because we havent won anything since.

Dak with "scrubs and average guys" some how managed to be top 3 offense last year. Dak isnt pushing Jerry anywhere, "fans" just want to say he signed to for a steal, IF he wins a SB.

Nobody would ever put Dak in the top tier with Montana, but if you dont think he's good... then idk what to tell you except facts.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
You make it sound like they were winning Super Bowls? The team just went 8-8 with that same QB all while having a shot at the division and a playoff spot. Recover from what exactly? See how he plays under McCarthy and take it from there.
We didnt suck either. We had the lowest ranked Sp. Teams, a average Defense, and a below average coach. 8-8 isnt all on Dak.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t see it as a bad move for Dak, as fans it’s annoying, but for him I think it’s fine.

31 million is enough to live on that’s for damn sure. Plus, there’s no way we won’t franchise him again next year if we don’t agree to a long term deal next year. ( we can all huff and puff that next year they won’t tag him, but they will)

He’s got the leverage to get what he wants in this extension unless we somehow stumble upon another QB that’s better then he is.
Depends on his performance next year, and his health.

conner01

Reaction score
Can't believe it.

Lost a lot of respect for him.

He clearly is putting himself before the team when a fair offer was given to him.

I have a feeling this situation will not work out in his favor.

Disappointed in Prescott.
I doubt he cares if you lost respect for him
And time will tell if it’s a mistake
Cousins had people say he was making a mistake but in hindsight he made a ton more money and ended up in a better place

J12B

Reaction score
I doubt he cares if you lost respect for him
And time will tell if it’s a mistake
Cousins had people say he was making a mistake but in hindsight he made a ton more money and ended up in a better place

Yeah, Im sure you're right.

He only cares about himself.

Losing fans is not a good thing to do as a player.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Can't believe it.

Lost a lot of respect for him.

He clearly is putting himself before the team when a fair offer was given to him.

I have a feeling this situation will not work out in his favor.

Disappointed in Prescott.

Dak made a mistake? I guess it depends on who you ask.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
We dont know if Jerry is right or wrong with this decision. We only know he was wrong back then is because we havent won anything since.

Dak with "scrubs and average guys" some how managed to be top 3 offense last year. Dak isnt pushing Jerry anywhere, "fans" just want to say he signed to for a steal, IF he wins a SB.

Nobody would ever put Dak in the top tier with Montana, but if you dont think he's good... then idk what to tell you except facts.

Absurd and ridiculous hyperbole. Now you're not even arguing. You're just making up nonsense. We don't have scrubs and averages now. That's what we'll end up with if we get salary cap hamstrung. You should bother to write about what I actually said and not make up ridiculous straw men. Wanna keep Amari Cooper on the team? Wanna keep a quality O-line? Wanna acquire a high-quality safety? If you want that, you can't allow yourself to be salary-cap-hamstrung. I'm sick and tired of the bogus "what the market will bear" bull****. It's not a normal market, as I explained. It's salary capped. That limits what a team can do. You can't throw elite money at a pretty good quarterback and expect to build a championship team.

And enough of your "haven't won anything since" argument. The team was mismanaged for years, but then realized it had to invest in a quality O-line, not just skilled players. The result was one of the best O-lines in football, and NFC East championship, and one bogus call away from the NFC Championship. That year was 2014, and it was the best we've done (tied with 2016) toward getting that Lombardi. It's because Jerry realized he has to build a whole team, not blow all his cap money on the skill positions.

Money has to be available for great lines. Not pretty good ones. Great ones, and we've been close to that with the O one, not as close with the D one, but money must be left for them both. Or no championship, and you can squawk "no championship since" [babble, babble, babble].

So now you can go back to finding your next straw man and distorting what people write instead actually responding to it.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
France won the day. Dak is a step closer to free agency. The agents job is to get Dak the most money he can possibly get. If Dak plays well this season the Cowboys will have to pay him more money next season or let him test free agency. The reality is Dak should play better next season because of the talent and coaches around him. It will be interesting to see what happens because the young man wants to be a Cowboy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lets all band together and our only goal being the glory of the STAR!!!
Let's start winning some games and making some good championship strides in the playoffs!!!!!.
Go, BOYS!!!!
Even if it's Dak under center? :omg:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
2018 was a down year? Dak doesn't play run defense. As fans we have our opinions. But Jerry is the GM and has to have some foresight. He does this every year and it's his job. He could have signed him back then for 28-30 mil and still had one year left on his rookie deal to dump bonus money. That would make his entire contract team friendly. But he's backed himself into a corner now.

2018 - 17th in QBR with a rating of 55.2. (Even Dalton had better figures).

The problem is (I assume) Dak (or agent) werent happy to sign as they'd see any contract reflecting that down year.....you want to sign your contract on the back of success.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Maybe DAK is not a believer in the Cowboys and wants to move on to another team..... seems like something been blocking the negotiations the whole time.....DAK
umm we own him, so what we tag him again do the same dance, IMO we should do TT or NE TAG and shop trades next off season..but dak doesnt control this situation.. paying 31 this season and say 36-38 next is still only what 34.5 for two years under the tag..? its not hurting the cowboys at all and dak gets paid. Its 2022 we would have to let him walk..

this maybe good for both, no more excuses with garett etc .. loaded offensive weapons, improved ST and Defense.. if Dak doesnt elevate the team and his play, maybe it a blessing this happened..