Dak on what to expect from Moore's offense

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Pretty much what some here have already said.......he's likely taking the same plays and running them several different ways. I assume the idea is to keep defensive coors guessing play to play, week to week, game to game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they're presenting it in a new way, why in the hell is his hat on backwards? Is he unaware of the curse? Next thing we know, his butt will start growing and he will be fat. Next stop? Cabo

Posters here spend more time on players' weight than the critics at fashion shows.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed, maybe I should also have mentioned more motion, to help the QB read man vs. zone coverage. That, along with powerball is my dream :)

I think you're definitely going to get your wish for more motion. They're watching film of the Rams offense as we speak!
:laugh:

I don't expect a complete overhaul, but I do expect motion added, plays run out of different looks, and overall an infusion of creativity, specifically in the routes being called. If they can do that, and the offensive line gets back to their past standards, they will be tough to deal with.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fully expect to see Dallas running a balanced offense and Dak has said running different things out of the same formation. I expect this offense to go out and produce.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st play...bomb to Gallup ... TD...OMG this offense is fantastic, Dak is the man, worth every penny...16-0
Zeke gets a 0 yard gain...this offense sucks, same old JG crap, Moore sucks...0-16

1st incomplete pass...Dak sucks, I told you he is not worth all that money....0-16
Zeke breaks a 79 yard TD run...this offense is great, OL is back, 16-0

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Relax, we will have a top 3 offense. Providing we have balanced play calling. Can't wait.

Sydla

Reaction score
It will be interesting for sure. "Running the same plays" doesn't mean a whole lot to me because NFL teams all run similar plays. The real edge comes in how you try to hide what you are doing.

That being said, I hope the passing concepts change a bit. The all four receivers running curls play on 3rd and 7 needs to get flushed down the toilet. Or once we get inside the red zone, we start throwing back shoulder throws and fades.

I am hoping there is more creativity in the passing game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Pretty much what some here have already said.......he's likely taking the same plays and running them several different ways. I assume the idea is to keep defensive coors guessing play to play, week to week, game to game.

We will mostly see the same things we saw when Garrett was offensive coordinator and when Linehan was offensive coordinator. This is Garrett's scheme. There will be a few twists allowed for Moore, but it's mainly going just simply be about which play-call he picks from the existing playbook instead of us suddenly adding things like rub routes, more screens, trick plays, etc.

Kage

Reaction score
Maybe its just me, but I don't seem any benefit in telling teams "Yeah we are still running the same plays, but they will look different at the start".

So basically defenses can just focus on the same plays, and not worry about pre snap formations and motion?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea - so Moore is still running JG's trash offense.

JGs doesn't have a playbook full of plays no other team runs. Far and away most are plays every team runs. A post pattern is a post pattern, and an off tackle run is an off tackle run, and the difference is only in the pre snap look the team gives. The statue of Liberty and the Annexation of Puerto Rico are not standards for other teams.

I remember reading after the Rams game that far and away most of the plays the Rams offense ran were plays the Cowboys run, except that the Rams disguised them better with some shifts and motion. I suspect that's what Moore is looking to do - make it harder for defenses to read.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It will be interesting for sure. "Running the same plays" doesn't mean a whole lot to me because NFL teams all run similar plays. The real edge comes in how you try to hide what you are doing.

That being said, I hope the passing concepts change a bit. The all four receivers running curls play on 3rd and 7 needs to get flushed down the toilet. Or once we get inside the red zone, we start throwing back shoulder throws and fades.

I am hoping there is more creativity in the passing game.

I'm not sure that's allowed. The playbook will have a set range of plays to choose from in that situation, and that will still be one of the options. He's not going to change route concepts/designs IMO. He'll only change the look of the formations those plays are run out of.

Now, we might throw more on first down to mix up the play-calling better, but we're not really introducing new concepts from what I read.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Maybe its just me, but I don't seem any benefit in telling teams "Yeah we are still running the same plays, but they will look different at the start".

So basically defenses can just focus on the same plays, and not worry about pre snap formations and motion?

They still have to be able to read the formation to understand what's coming. You can fool them to think a play is a run when it is actually a pass with those pre-snap reads.

Doing this is better than doing nothing. We're going from vanilla to probably vanilla with a little swirl.

gimmesix

Reaction score
JGs doesn't have a playbook full of plays no other team runs. Far and away most are plays every team runs. A post pattern is a post pattern, and an off tackle run is an off tackle run, and the difference is only in the pre snap look the team gives. The statue of Liberty and the Annexation of Puerto Rico are not standards for other teams.

I remember reading after the Rams game that far and away most of the plays the Rams offense ran were plays the Cowboys run, except that the Rams disguised them better with some shifts and motion. I suspect that's what Moore is looking to do - make it harder for defenses to read.

There's some truth to this, but there are also things you can do to scheme players open. We hardly ever bunch our receivers to make it harder to bump them. We don't use very many rub routes. We don't really take advantage of rules that favor the offense, instead running our plays in a way that's similar to the 1990s teams. The rules have changed a lot since the '90s.