Dak or Zeke better win MVP

perrykemp

Reaction score
Having said all that, I still think Rodgers wins it. He basically is carrying the Packers into the playoffs.

I don't see Rodgers winning. Over a 15-16 game period starting the middle of last year and going into mid-season this year his stats compared roughly to Blain Gabbert's over that same of time.

Something was clearly wrong with him -- maybe related to all of his odd family issues.

He's gotten his mojo back and has been incredible for the past 6-7 games, however, there is no denying that he kinda sucked for a good portion of the season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't see Rodgers winning. Over a 15-16 game period starting the middle of last year and going into mid-season this year his stats compared roughly to Blain Gabbert's over that same of time.

Something was clearly wrong with him -- maybe related to all of his odd family issues.

He's gotten his mojo back and has been incredible for the past 6-7 games, however, there is no denying that he kinda sucked for a good portion of the season.

Rodgers is getting all the credit for what Ty Montgomery is doing.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
vs. top 10 pass defenses
Brady 87 of 132 1193 yd 7 td 1 int 109.1
Rodgers 109 of 172 1274 yd 12 td 3 int 101.7
Brees 137 of 192 1405 yd 10 td 5 int 98.5
Ryan 86 of 138 1172 yd 6 td 3 int 94.8
Prescott 72 of 124 758 yd 3 td 2 int 77.3

late & close
Brady 135.9
Brees 108.1
Ryan 102.5
Prescott 100.3
Rodgers 93.9

Red zone
Brady 111.2
Rodgers 109.6
Brees 109.3
Ryan 107.2
Prescott 105.5

Red Zone conversions (pass or QB run)
Prescott 44.9% (31 of 69)
Brady 39.4% (28 of 71)
Rodgers 38.9% (49 of 126)
Brees 38.5% (45 of 117)
Ryan 33.7% (33 of 98)

3rd down conversions (pass or QB run)
Brady 48.6% (67 of 138)
Brees 47.7% (84 of 176)
Rodgers 47.6% (88 of 185)
Ryan 41.7% (63 of 151)
Prescott 41.1% (60 of 146)

perrykemp

Reaction score
vs. top 10 pass defenses
Brady 87 of 132 1193 yd 7 td 1 int 109.1
Rodgers 109 of 172 1274 yd 12 td 3 int 101.7
Brees 137 of 192 1405 yd 10 td 5 int 98.5
Ryan 86 of 138 1172 yd 6 td 3 int 94.8
Prescott 72 of 124 758 yd 3 td 2 int 77.3

Surprising and just a teeny bit disturbing.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I'm not sure what last year has to do with this year?

He's thrown for 4,100+ yards, 36 TDs to just 7 INTs (with one game to play) with a WR playing running back for them.

I'm not saying he wins it, but he's certainly a worthy candidate.

TheHerd

Reaction score
To be clear, MVP is an Associated Press award voted on by sports writers. There are no real criteria for how they vote, it's just what the collected dopes like Peter King et. al. feel like. So don't expect a lot of deep thought to go into it.

Dak and Zeke are going to split the Cowboys player vote and neither one will get it. That's what's actually going to happen. A team with 2 serious candidates really has 0.

There is also rookie bias against them - no rookie has won MVP in like 30+ years or something I think.

My uneducated guess is that Brady wins. I don't think he should, but it's my gut feeling. There are only 3 elite teams, and their QBs are the most likely candidates for MVP. Carr is out due to injury. Dak is is a rookie (strike one) who is going to split the vote with another rookie on his own team (strike two). That leaves Brady. Rodgers and Ryan have too many bad losses this year, plus nobody trusts Ryan or the Falcons in the postseason - that shouldn't matter, but nobody wants to vote in a guy for MVP who then puts on a huge playoff choke job like Peyton Manning did in his MVP seasons. Stafford's team is flaming out, Brees is piling up garbage time yards on a trash team, and no WR or RB is having a 2,000 yard season or something to jump ahead of any QBs.

Dak and Zeke will split rookie of the year/offensive rookie of the year between them, Zeke will probably be 1st team All-Pro too.

Amen. I always throw out MVP awards in all sports after hearing about the 1947 baseball award, also given by writers. In that year, Ted Williams won the triple crown and led the league is almost every significant batting category. Yet Williams was not well liked by the press. He lost the MVP to Joe D by one vote, and one NY writer supposedly left Ted completely off the ballot, not even ranking him in the top 10.

MVP is basically the NFL version of junior high class president.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
For me, if you want QBs it is Ryan vs Dak

For RBs it is DJohnson vs Zeke

And the winner is ...............EElliott

perrykemp

Reaction score
You do know who votes for this award? Of course Brady is one of the favorites.

I don't know if I buy the East coast bias conspiracy theory.

45% of all the MVPs over the past 2 decades have been awarded to either Green Bay quarterbacks (Favre 3 times, Rodgers 2) or Peyton Manning (3 times as a Colt, once as a Bronco).

Unless you count Indianapolis and Green Bay as East Coast I don't see it.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I don't know if I buy the East coast bias conspiracy theory.

45% of all the MVPs over the past 2 decades have been awarded to either Green Bay quarterbacks (Favre 3 times, Rodgers 2) or Peyton Manning (3 times as a Colt, once as a Bronco).

Unless you count Indianapolis and Green Bay as East Coast I don't see it.
Not east coast, just popularity.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
That's basically the Giants game bringing down his stats, no?
I think it's basically inexperience.

vs (#2) NYG 25 of 45 227 yd 0 td 0 int
vs (#10) Cin 18 of 24 247 yd 1 td 0 int
at (#6) Min 12 of 18 139 yd 1 td 0 int
at (#2) NYG 17 of 37 165 yd 1 td 2 int

T-RO

Reaction score
Matt Ryan has lost 5 games this year.

Here we go again.

You are pinning all a team's wins and losses on a quarterback...but then you turn right around and you don't think a quarterback should win MVP? Follow your own logic bro.

Dak or Ryan should be MVP--both would be very legit. I'd probably put Rogers and Brady over Zeke. It's a quarterback's league.

Let's keep it real: Falcons have a horrible defense but Ryan has that team flying high.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Here we go again.

You are pinning all a team's wins and losses on a quarterback...but then you turn right around and you don't think a quarterback should win MVP? Follow your own logic bro.

Dak or Ryan should be MVP--both would be very legit. I'd probably put Rogers and Brady over Zeke. It's a quarterback's league.

Let's keep it real: Falcons have a horrible defense but Ryan has that team flying high.

No I'm saying you have to be on a team that's doing something special..

You lose 5 games then you don't deserve MVP.

He's got stats but so does Zeke and Zeke did it on the best team in the NFC.

T-RO

Reaction score

So the award is "MVP of teams 12-4 or better?

Ryan is the quarterback of the best offense in the NFL. And it's the best offense by far...top ten in league history on scoring.

Falcons 502 points
Dallas 408 points

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So the award is "MVP of teams 12-4 or better?

Ryan is the quarterback of the best offense in the NFL. And it's the best offense by far...one of the best in league history.

Yes.. You have to be on one of the best teams.

As good as Ryan has been he's lost 5 times and he hasn't had nearly the impact on his team, fans, organization, and even the media like Zeke has.

This year has been about Dak and Zeke.

Matt Ryan is just an excuse to not give the award to a rookie.

T-RO

Reaction score
Yes.. You have to be on one of the best teams.

As good as Ryan has been he's lost 5 times and he hasn't had nearly the impact on his team, fans, organization, and even the media like Zeke has.

This year has been about Dak and Zeke.

Matt Ryan is just an excuse to not give the award to a rookie.

OK...let's summarize your rules:
Team you play on must be 12-4 or better. It doesn't matter how much value your bring your team otherwise.
Team you play on must be high profile. If you play in Buffalo or Atlanta or Tampa Bay...too bad for you.

I say the award is this:
Who brings the most value to his team.

It's either Ryan or Dak.

The Natural

Reaction score

Absolutely..MVP hasn't gone to a QB of a sub 12 win team since 2002, I think that is saying something. There's a standard that should go with the award as a QB and 11 wins isnt it.