Dak playing shrewd Money game

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He's playing for a home run against a stiff wind. What if the NFL season gets cancelled? The NFL still has no idea what damage player politics have done to the fan bases. So, sure Dak might get that 70 million over the next 2 years, but there is a lot of uncertainty and we haven't even factored injury risk.

If Dak can get a 100 million guarantee now, which the cowboys have apparently offered, he'd be a fool not to take it......
The tag is fullly guaranteed and he's already signed it.

pansophy

Reaction score
You hire an agent to get you the most money. You hire a publicist for you image.

Jerry Jones does not believe in Dak or he would give him a 4 year deal. Think about it. The Dumbo GM said that you would not believe the check he would write for another Super Bowl. Dak's agent knows this and will have him write big checks (if it were true). But, Jerry is thinking the face of the franchise and the franchise QB is around somewhere that is not Dak Prescott. Dumb butt move which is why the Deadskins is still looking for a name and a QB after letting Kurt Cousins walk to the Vikings and beat the Saints in a playoff game for the first time after 2 franchise tags. Dak 1-2 before his first franchise tag. So you are playing around with a young playoff experienced QB over 1 less year on a contract. B.S. He does not like the face of his franchise QB.

Cowboys have signed all the free agents the Cowboys are going to sign. Anymore players on defense would insure Dak Prescott's agent strategy (he has never had a losing season as a starting QB at any level).

Actually, Dak is going to get what he wants. A short term deal (2 franchise tags) with a better defense, and offense and then be free agent QB in 2023. The agent is doing his job.

"Do your Job!". Jerry the Dumbo GM Jones needs to do his job and keep his franchise QB and stop following the football brilliance of Dan Snyder.
I don’t think you can argue that Jerry doesn’t believe in Dak because he wants to sign him to a longer deal. Why would you tie yourself to someone longer if you didn’t think he was a winner.

It seems though that he isn’t willing to make him the highest paid player or put themselves in a position to have to pay him again right when TV contracts are redone.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think Dak is doing his best to maximize his earning potential.
By taking the Tag route, he is looking at making about $70 Million in the next 2 years.
Therefore, he will be able to sign a long term deal after that for well over $150 million given that he will be still young.
If he were to sign a 4-5 year deal now, he would be able to get about $150 plus. But, he would be well into his 30's at the end.
By going the Tag route, he can get the $70 plus another big contract afterward.
I think he could still make well over the $70 million even being in his early 30's but by going the Tag route, he almost insures that he will maximize his earnings whereas signing a 4-5 deal he cold potentially get injured in a way that prevents him from getting a big contract afterwards.
He seems to be gambling that he won't suffer a major injury on the Tags, but I guess it's a gamble he's willing to take.
And what if he gets injured while he's on the tag?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Damage of player politics? Riiiight. This was said some years ago and the NFL is still just as strong. Those people are full of hot air on social media on this boycott stuff. This will never come into play. NFL will always be king.

I agree with Dak's stance here. QB's salaries will continue to rise. Why lock in long term to a booming market? He'd be a fool to. Go the Cousins route. Play on the tag for a lot of money. Then sign a longer term deal. He will maximize his earning potential going this route. I know fans won't like this because they don't care about the players and only want to win while having the players make as little as possible. Good for him.

Yup. Drama queens I called them. And I was right. These are people whose principles will change with the shifting winds so actually following through with threats was never going to be in the cards. The NFL knew this. They sure let everyone know about their plan though, didn't they? Lol. Now, people are so sports-starved that the NFL would be the savior to organized sports. That's worth a whole lot of viewership if they can pull off the season. If mass gatherings are still restricted that means many more individual households will be carrying games on the TV, so that's even more ratings. Having an agenda limits this kind of critical thinking. Lol.

erod

Reaction score
Well said.

Dak is passing up the chance to become an extremely rich man to become a slightly more rich man, w/ the downside being a much less rich man. It does not make sense to me.
Yep, exactly right, and I'm so relieved.

He's going to play his way out of a big deal, and Dallas won't be left holding the bag.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He is not being shrewd - he is being stupid!

He isn't. He's just making people "uncomfortable" which is why he gets the slings and arrows. Zeke got them too but he wipes his tears with $20 bills. Dak might not get a long term deal today but has an alternate route to get what he wants money-wise. If the Cowboys decide to move on you just hope there's not another post-Aikman run of bad luck finding a QB. That's Dallas' risk to all this.

aikemirv

Reaction score
He isn't. He's just making people "uncomfortable" which is why he gets the slings and arrows. Zeke got them too but he wipes his tears with $20 bills. Dak might not get a long term deal today but has an alternate route to get what he wants money-wise. If the Cowboys decide to move on you just hope there's not another post-Aikman run of bad luck finding a QB. That's Dallas' risk to all this.
Well he is not making me uncomfortable - actually I am happy he did not take the deal - I hope he does not take one next year either

erod

Reaction score
Dak absolutely is playing the shrewd money game..anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong
Dak is now the highest paid player on the team and the 6th or 7th best player in the offense.

The honeymoon is over. Pressure and scrutiny are about to increase tenfold.

McCarthy has no history with him and could opt for Dalton any time.

Nobody tried to trade for him through all this.

He didn't play this well at all.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
No it's not. Only if games are played. The 31mil is broken down to 16 game checks.
If a season is accrued he will get paid as will everyone else. Whether they play games or not. The owners finally get to actually face the reality of "taking more risk".

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dak is now the highest paid player on the team and the 6th or 7th best player in the offense.

Has Dak played better than Dalton the last 4 years.

JBS

Reaction score

And after all of this he's still getting 31M this year and 37M next year at a minimum if Dallas wants to keep him

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think Dak is doing his best to maximize his earning potential.
By taking the Tag route, he is looking at making about $70 Million in the next 2 years.
Therefore, he will be able to sign a long term deal after that for well over $150 million given that he will be still young.
If he were to sign a 4-5 year deal now, he would be able to get about $150 plus. But, he would be well into his 30's at the end.
By going the Tag route, he can get the $70 plus another big contract afterward.
I think he could still make well over the $70 million even being in his early 30's but by going the Tag route, he almost insures that he will maximize his earnings whereas signing a 4-5 deal he cold potentially get injured in a way that prevents him from getting a big contract afterwards.
He seems to be gambling that he won't suffer a major injury on the Tags, but I guess it's a gamble he's willing to take.
I think he's playing the right game if what he cares about is maximizing his contract, but I'm not so sure playing hardball for every cent he can get is the way to maximize his career.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I don’t think you can argue that Jerry doesn’t believe in Dak because he wants to sign him to a longer deal. Why would you tie yourself to someone longer if you didn’t think he was a winner.

It seems though that he isn’t willing to make him the highest paid player or put themselves in a position to have to pay him again right when TV contracts are redone.
If you can tell me what 1 year extra can do for you on an NFL contract, I would agree with you. NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

However, I can tell you that Dak signed a 4 year deal in 2016. He wants a 4 year deal now. If Jerry loved him so much, why after the rookie year, he did not sign him to a 4 year extension? The answered is that it was only 1 year and there have been many 1 year wonders in the NFL. Dak has shown that he was not a 1 year wonder. So what is wrong with another 4 years when you know this is your franchise QB? So, why would any agent make his client sign a 5 year deal when your Dumbo GM used up 4 years without signing one impact free agent, let the entire secondary and +5 other defensive players leave in free agency (see KC defense 2019 and 2020), waited until the season was almost lost before trading for a no.1 WR after the Dumbo GM cut a no.1 WR and signed a bunch of no.3 and 4 receivers, and extended another lame duck year with Jason Garrett at head coach after proving for 8 years he was not a good Head Coach?

What is this saying to your team when you will not commit to the 4 year team captain, 4 year starting QB, 3 year Pro Bowl QB, 1-2 playoff experienced QB, and 2 time NFC East Championship QB? It says TEAM KILLER GM. So Dak's agent is doing his job to get the most money out of this situation of not being wanted. Jerry can now trade him, play Red Rifle, and draft or sign the franchise QB of his personal likes. I really hope Jerry Dumbo GM trades Dak Prescott. All of last year the team had to deal with lame duck QB team leader, this year lame duck QB team leader, and next year lame duck QB team leader. You can not win in that kind of environment with this strategy of tagging your QB...ask the Deadskins brilliant owner Dan Snyder.