Dak playing shrewd Money game

eastsideboy

Reaction score
If a season is accrued he will get paid as will everyone else. Whether they play games or not. The owners finally get to actually face the reality of "taking more risk".
ROFL you must be nuts who told you this. #fakenewsallert

cern

Reaction score
He's turned down 30+ million and 100 million in guaranteed money two years in a row. Worse yet, the first year he wasn't even tagged, instead playing for next to nothing. I don't think that's the definition of shrewd.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He's turned down 30+ million and 100 million in guaranteed money two years in a row. Worse yet, the first year he wasn't even tagged, instead playing for next to nothing. I don't think that's the definition of shrewd.
If he signed last year it would have been an extension and he wouldn't have made any additional salary last season unless the team worked the contract that way. Its about being paid what your market dictates and in relation to your peers. The front office is to blame for trying to low ball him from the jump

Grenic

Reaction score
He is DUMB! what if they don't play this year? What if he blows out his knee and never plays again. His greed got the best of him and at this point he can leave I could care less

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He is DUMB! what if they don't play this year? What if he blows out his knee and never plays again. His greed got the best of him and at this point he can leave I could care less

Dudes don't understand how NFL contract extensions work and think "I could care less" means they don't care.

Soldier on, Rowdy!

cern

Reaction score
If he signed last year it would have been an extension and he wouldn't have made any additional salary last season unless the team worked the contract that way. Its about being paid what your market dictates and in relation to your peers. The front office is to blame for trying to low ball him from the jump
He would have received a huge signing bonus. Dak has only himself to blame for the deal not getting done.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Dak is doing his best to maximize his earning potential.
By taking the Tag route, he is looking at making about $70 Million in the next 2 years.
Therefore, he will be able to sign a long term deal after that for well over $150 million given that he will be still young.
If he were to sign a 4-5 year deal now, he would be able to get about $150 plus. But, he would be well into his 30's at the end.
By going the Tag route, he can get the $70 plus another big contract afterward.
I think he could still make well over the $70 million even being in his early 30's but by going the Tag route, he almost insures that he will maximize his earnings whereas signing a 4-5 deal he cold potentially get injured in a way that prevents him from getting a big contract afterwards.
He seems to be gambling that he won't suffer a major injury on the Tags, but I guess it's a gamble he's willing to take.

Dak is playing the stupid money game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Could have made 50 million dollar signing bonus + his pay for the year. Idiot. 120 in 2 years. Lmao. FIRE THAT AGENT!!!

Cmon, the Cowboys were willing to give him 35 million for 5 years and guarantee the first 3 years?

You don't take that then your an @#$%#$$#%$$.

Trade him to Jets and let him rot there. And he can take Zeke with him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think Dak is doing his best to maximize his earning potential.

I said the Kirk Cousins route maximizes Dak's potential *contract* last year, but probably not his maximum financial benefit.

Being the Cowboys QB brings a low tax locale, largest NFL QB marketing opportunity, best post career opportunities, and close to the best offensive supporting cast in the league.

And with Voldemort hitting the world, the risks of going Kirk Cousins went up, with the benefits likely down. A world of higher downside risk ups the relative value of locking in money now.

If the downside hits, Dak will have cost himself lots. Simply having to uproot his family is a cost.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Man, I'm fighting that feeling myself.

Illustrating one of the many costs Dak will bear this year by choosing the Kirk Cousins route; the loyalty and identification of Cowboy fans with Dak inevitably drops a lot this year. A personal and financial loss.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Quick dumb question. Said 70 million in 2 years. Was it 35 per year for 2 years and 50 million signing bonus. Or 50 signing bonus and 10 million for the next 2 years for a total of 70. Either way it’s a good deal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Furthermore, if he doesnt win here in the next two years, he won't be able to say he didnt have weapons, or blocking.
Dak may not get the chance to win here this year, let alone next year.

I see little upside to letting Dak play here as a short timer, particularly when we have an NFL starting QB sitting on the bench.

If we're just looking at *this* year, is
Dalton + 30mil > Dak?

Probably yes.

The problem with Jerry's negotiating, IMO, is he never established any deterrence. If "Dak's our guy, no matter what", why should he do anything but ask for more More MORE? Without Jerry showing the will to move on from Dak, the downside to Dak's refusing to sign stays invisible.

We *could* trade Dak to some cellar dweller and roll with Dalton. Whether you like that plan or not, it's a credible plan.

All the benefits of being the Cowboys' QB could swirl down the drain for Dak.

And looking at the messages, I think that outcome has a lot of appeal to a lot of Cowboy fans.

kskboys

Reaction score
Illustrating one of the many costs Dak will bear this year by choosing the Kirk Cousins route; the loyalty and identification of Cowboy fans with Dak inevitably drops a lot this year. A personal and financial loss.
I thought very highly of the kid on a personal level before this contract blackmail attempt.

Grenic

Reaction score
I would if I could trade his so fast his head would spin and trade him to somewhere horrible please

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys have either totally mismanaged their franchise QB by not reaching an agreement or they are prepared to move on next year.

If not it’s going to cost them much more next year to resign him.

Ultimately the cost of starting over searching for and breaking in a new QB will be much more costly.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He is betting very largely on the Dallas Cowboys is what he is doing.

If he plays on both tags and continues to come up small in big spots...

The major mistake in most analyses of this is assuming Dak gets the chance to play here the next couple of years.

Totally credible that we move on this year, trade Dak while we can get something for him, and roll with Dalton.