Dak playing shrewd Money game

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I thought very highly of the kid on a personal level before this contract blackmail attempt.
Blackmail . Really. Lol

Do we even know how far apart they were?

Pro sports isn’t just about making an offer and expecting them to accept.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The major mistake in most analyses of this is assuming Dak gets the chance to play here the next couple of years.

Totally credible that we move on this year, trade Dak while we can get something for him, and roll with Dalton.
All over what. A year on the contract or a couple million?

Dak certainly isn’t getting much respect . Beginning to sound like there’s a mentality going on here much deeper .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak absolutely is playing the shrewd money game..anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong
It’s business . The part of the game fans hate.

31 ,32 , 35 million. 4 or 5 years. Most fans forget the deal they’ve signed in a year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Blackmail . Really. Lol

Do we even know how far apart they were?

Pro sports isn’t just about making an offer and expecting them to accept.
Yes, blackmail. Dak was completely unwilling to play for anything but the richest contract in history.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was THE reason. Before Mahomes's contract, KC was going to have to release Jones. Pat's contract allowed them to keep him.
Maybe Dak saw how we puckered up for Zeke, Cooper and Dlaw and simply wanted his.

Maybe cause we caved on the others is why we can’t handle a couple more million a year for him.

All of a sudden we’re pounding our chest cause we got tough on this deal.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Let's see how well he plays when the pressure is on. So far his performances against the better teams, some of which you have to beat in order to make the playoffs, and beyond.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's what Francis did.
Dak is responsible for his agents action.

What gets me is I never heard a counter offer back from us. We made initial offer. And never budged. I’m not sure how sound of bargaining that is.

We never even attempted to make a deal he couldn’t refuse.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
He isn't. He's just making people "uncomfortable" which is why he gets the slings and arrows. Zeke got them too but he wipes his tears with $20 bills. Dak might not get a long term deal today but has an alternate route to get what he wants money-wise. If the Cowboys decide to move on you just hope there's not another post-Aikman run of bad luck finding a QB. That's Dallas' risk to all this.

There are a more people saying Dak is dumb for betting on himself and playing for $31 million than there was a year ago when he was only playing for $2 million.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe Dak saw how we puckered up for Zeke, Cooper and Dlaw and simply wanted his.

Maybe cause we caved on the others is why we can’t handle a couple more million a year for him.

All of a sudden we’re pounding our chest cause we got tough on this deal.
We caved. He still refused.

cern

Reaction score
All over what. A year on the contract or a couple million?

Dak certainly isn’t getting much respect . Beginning to sound like there’s a mentality going on here much deeper .
You still don't get it. it was all about a pie. Dak wanted more of the pie than what was left. Ergo, no pie.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak is responsible for his agents action.

What gets me is I never heard a counter offer back from us. We made initial offer. And never budged. I’m not sure how sound of bargaining that is.

We never even attempted to make a deal he couldn’t refuse.
We offered him a fair contract. Why should we budge?

kskboys

Reaction score
I certainly never saw the “ cave” counter offer.
We started this negotiation w/ a fair offer last year, around 28 I believe. Dak's lastest offer was between 33-35 mil w/ over 100 mil guaranteed.

There's simply no room to go up if we want to compete for super bowls.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I thought very highly of the kid on a personal level before this contract blackmail attempt.

Dak has been all above board. He just wants more than they're willing to give. I don't think any worse of Dak. Bidness is bidness. I have increasing doubts he's playing bidness right, but I can see why he'd think he's doing right.

I didn't blame Zeke either. The league is designed to screw elite RBs on their rookie contracts. They *shouldn't* get a huge 2nd contract because their elite performance is *extremely* unlikely to last through their 2nd contract, so I wouldn't have paid Zeke one. In that case, RBs should hold out to preserve wear and tear available to their 2nd contract.

Compare to Dlaw gaming his shoulder last year. That was hardball. A show of bad faith. I wouldn't have signed Dlaw even if healthy, but it was just bad bidness for Jerry to sign DLaw after that.

I don't hold it against Dak. But naturally, if it doesn't look like Dak is the future of the franchise, solidarity with Dak dips. We're cheering for uniforms. He won't be in a Cowboy uniform soon enough. Now that fans see that coming down the pike, solidarity drops even without any negative feelings about Dak's negotiating tactics.

Even though intellectually I don't expect players to have that same solidarity with the uniform at all, to *see* that lack of solidarity in action *feels* different. The suspension of disbelief about players being part of a team goes out the window. He's an entertainer cashing a check, and without that suspension of disbelief about The Team, he's just less entertaining. So is the team as a whole.

I wonder if PT Barnum understands this. I expect so. He's the marketing master.

I wonder if all the "Dak's our guy" was just marketing talk to keep that suspension of disbelief going. Maybe he said different things to Dak and agency in private. He should have.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We started this negotiation w/ a fair offer last year, around 28 I believe. Dak's lastest offer was between 33-35 mil w/ over 100 mil guaranteed.

There's simply no room to go up if we want to compete for super bowls.

I thought you recently said last year's offer was 33mil?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We offered him a fair contract. Why should we budge?
Thats not negotiating or making them an offer you can’t refuse .

We budge because we want to lock him up. Only if you don’t want to start over do you stand pat willing to let them walk.

So what is our plan b after Dak leaves next year. How far does it set us back hoping to find another QB. How many years do we waste with the investments we’ve already made surrounding Dak. All for what. Cause we save 3 or 4 million a year on our QB.