Dak playing shrewd Money game

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The only possible way this makes sense is if Dak wants out of Dallas.

I think Dak wants to negotiate a contract in free agency. Kirk Cousins. I bet he'd be fine coming back here if Jerry was the top bidder in the NFL.

It's possible he's surly about the Cowboys, but it's hard to imagine why. Crying over Garrett leaving? That's hard to believe. And Moore was retained. His guy.

I'd think he'd be *much* happier with McCarthy. And Moore. That's a good sounding team to me. Zeke retained. Cooper retained. And they picked up Lamb too! Where is he supposed to get better offensive weapons and protection?

Since last year, it looks like the Kirk Cousins Plan. Which generally in the NFL, I'd consider a good plan, though in current circumstances, and relative to the Cowboys, it's not as attractive.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
They didn't "get tough" on Dak. They just didn't mortgage the franchise to make an offer to Dak.

There's no evidence Dak has any interest in signing with the Cowboys for anything but crazy money. Where's *his* counteroffer to them? I've never heard of him making one. He just declines their offers.
He did. It was 4 years and cowboys declined it because apparently they refuse to do 4 year deals. I know right, stubborn and stupid.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They didn't "get tough" on Dak. They just didn't mortgage the franchise to make an offer to Dak.

There's no evidence Dak has any interest in signing with the Cowboys for anything but crazy money. Where's *his* counteroffer to them? I've never heard of him making one. He just declines their offers.
Well it doesn’t matter now. There’s no more negotiations until at least January. And if they have any intentions it’s going to cost them much more then.

And why as I’d maintained all off season that no deal would imply no Dak moving forward. And that’s fine with me. I just need to be certain in our direction to know where to apply the pressure and hold accountable. I’m somewhat uncertain today.

But there will be some responsibility or accolades to pass out depending the results forthcoming .

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He did. It was 4 years and cowboys declined it because apparently they refuse to do 4 year deals. I know right, stubborn and stupid.

4 years isn't an offer, it's a limitation on the contract he was willing to take.

AFAIK, there was never a real counter offer from Dak's side.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only possible way this makes sense is if Dak wants out of Dallas.
That’s a possibility . Hard to imagine from everything he’s said. Maybe we haven’t made him feel welcome enough with less than a deal he couldn’t refuse.

And maybe he’s one of those guys who isn’t a team player. Simply wanting to go to the highest bidder.

Might have something to do with being a lower draft pick and making basically min wage for 4 years?

But something doesn’t add up . We aren’t getting the whole story.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Teams pay QBs a lot. They spend a lot of picks to get them. A team interested in offering more to Dak as their franchise QB may be happy to pick up Dak. Philly gave up everything to get Wentz, and he hadn't played an NFL snap.
And with that came some controllable years at least.

A team would have to be willing to pay what Jerry would not, which has got to be enormously in favor of the player, and part with something to entice Dallas to not have him for the one or two seasons.

Its not going to be multiple firsts, that's for sure.

It's not going to happen for this year no matter what, it's too late plus the uncertainty....and whichever team could just sign him for no picks after 2021 since its extremely doubtful they tag him a third time.

So, maybe someone gives up a first, maybe a second....but the comp pick is a third.

Really, if you're whoever and need a QB upgrade after 2020, are you dishing out draft picks for Dak Prescott, or just waiting until after one season and get him for just money?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Other than getting injured, this is the factor that might have the most potential to bite Dak in the butt. If this happens I'm not sure NFL salaries will increase over the 8-9 months the way they would have otherwise, and if the NFL takes a sizeable financial hit this season the salary cap might stagnate or fall, and teams may be tighter with the pocket book.

This is where the tag really helps out Dak.

Once he signed the tag, its totally guaranteed $31 million even if he doesn't take a single snap.

Next year, Dak is looking at two options...………..either a second tag at $37 million, totally guaranteed once signed, or unrestricted free agency.

This is in the new CBA, no way to change it unless the NFLPA signs off on the change and they already laughed in the face of the NFL when they proposed a 35 percent pay cut league wide.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is where the tag really helps out Dak.

Once he signed the tag, its totally guaranteed $31 million even if he doesn't take a single snap.

Next year, Dak is looking at two options...………..either a second tag at $37 million, totally guaranteed once signed, or unrestricted free agency.

This is in the new CBA, no way to change it unless the NFLPA signs off on the change and they already laughed in the face of the NFL when they proposed a 35 percent pay cut league wide.

But even with the new CBA, isn’t the salary cap still a % of revenue? If so, wouldn’t it shrink if revenue drops significantly because games aren’t played?

In any case, while $31 million guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at, it’s a lot less than $100+ million guaranteed, and a pay cut may not necessarily be the issue next year with Dak, teams could just be more conservative in committing to large contracts if the are hit hard financially this year. Then, of course, there is the risk of injury or an ordinary season, or the Cowboys finding an alternative and not offering him the tag.

Bottom line is while this could end up paying off big for Dak, there definitely is risk as well.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And with that came some controllable years at least.

A team would have to be willing to pay what Jerry would not, which has got to be enormously in favor of the player, and part with something to entice Dallas to not have him for the one or two seasons.

Its not going to be multiple firsts, that's for sure.

It's not going to happen for this year no matter what, it's too late plus the uncertainty....and whichever team could just sign him for no picks after 2021 since its extremely doubtful they tag him a third time.

So, maybe someone gives up a first, maybe a second....but the comp pick is a third.

Really, if you're whoever and need a QB upgrade after 2020, are you dishing out draft picks for Dak Prescott, or just waiting until after one season and get him for just money?

We got 31.4million enticements to trade Dak already. I don't need a lot more.

I'd be happy to get a 2nd. Maybe the Jets will take a trade for Adams. Or someone else will give us a trade of a quality player we want. Value for value.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
he played and lost. who's gonna want to what Dak and his agent thinks he's worth. If Dallas doesn't want to pay him, why would some other team?
legit questions.

3 2 1 waiting on the troll Rockport or blockhead to come in and call it a troll post. smh