Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys are at an impasse over nothing

Scotman

Reaction score
Did you not read your own quote I was responding to? This part below was most of your post after saying he Dak should sign now:

You're talking about Dak being greedy handing his PERSONAL business in light of potential out of work fans getting some "signal" sent to them in his so doing. My response is, so what? What in Hades does one have to do with the other?

I still can't find anything about children in my comment. I think Dak is making a financial mistake and spelled out why. What children are you even talking about? It's not in my comment anywhere. I'll have to go back and see if I called him "greedy." I try to not call anyone names, but perhaps I misspoke. I talk about his contract, you know, because we are all talking about his contract. We talk about contracts all the time...every year. It is his money, but the contract impacts our team. I think it's short-sighted to go after a huge contract when the overall difference appears to be minimal to me. As far as what in Hades one has to do with the other? I thought I explained it. I didn't do a good enough job, obviously. Dak make a large amount of money from being a spokesman. Advertisers have flocked to him because he presents a very likable persona. A lengthy contract negotiation has the ability to tarnish that persona. If he is less likable, fewer advertisers will seek his services. It's not rocket science.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I still can't find anything about children in my comment. I think Dak is making a financial mistake and spelled out why. What children are you even talking about? It's not in my comment anywhere. I'll have to go back and see if I called him "greedy." I try to not call anyone names, but perhaps I misspoke. I talk about his contract, you know, because we are all talking about his contract. We talk about contracts all the time...every year. It is his money, but the contract impacts our team. I think it's short-sighted to go after a huge contract when the overall difference appears to be minimal to me. As far as what in Hades one has to do with the other? I thought I explained it. I didn't do a good enough job, obviously. Dak make a large amount of money from being a spokesman. Advertisers have flocked to him because he presents a very likable persona. A lengthy contract negotiation has the ability to tarnish that persona. If he is less likable, fewer advertisers will seek his services. It's not rocket science.

Okay. Dodging for a second time does it. Maybe you didn't get the "children" reference but that's immaterial anyways. Have a good day sir.

fansince68

Reaction score
What happened to the days of a player out performing their contract. FO awards the player with a new contract paying more money regardless of the number of years left on the contract. In other words, Dak signs, meets and exceeds certain levels of performance and conduct. If Dak can perform like Mahomes and get us to the superbowl, lets pay him like Mahomes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Another poster who has reliable sources....:banghead:
Well, it's either the TAG if it's not rescinded or NADA.
All this talk about Dak getting a new deal is hogwash and the signing of Dalton proves it!
2 Years we've been hearing here comes Dak's new deal and the fat lady has yet to ring the cash register!:muttley:

No it will not be rescind, only people talking that crap are those like yourself who do not care for Dak. That is fine you believe as you choose and I will continue to chat with those who deal in reality not some emotional hang up. Dalton coming to Dallas provides a vet backup and had it not been Dalton Dallas would have looked at other vet QB who were willing to come here on a cheap deal. Dallas was not going into the season with virtually nothing at backup at one of the most important positions. That is why Dalton is here. Cowboys have a franchise tag on Dak and he has until July 15th to sign it.

One thing I have learned about you is anytime I see your name on a post it has to do with your personal agenda towards Dak. You offer nothing more on any other topic. So pretty much a waste of my time.

Plankton

Reaction score
If the length of the contract, and the ability to get back to the market once things reset is the issue for Prescott, then there's a real easy solution. Sign and play under the tag. He'll be back in the market in a year once Mahomes and Watson redo their deals.

Scotman

Reaction score
Okay. Dodging for a second time does it. Maybe you didn't get the "children" reference but that's immaterial anyways. Have a good day sir.

Dodging? What in the world am I dodging? I tried to respond to each point. I'm legitimately having a difficult time trying to follow your argument.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If the length of the contract, and the ability to get back to the market once things reset is the issue for Prescott, then there's a real easy solution. Sign and play under the tag. He'll be back in the market in a year once Mahomes and Watson redo their deals.

Sounds good but the second he signs that tender, he becomes tradeable. As unlikely as it might be that they would look to trade him or that they even could, he likely doesn't want to give them that option and take the risk of not being the QB in Dallas moving forward.

Plankton

Reaction score
Sounds good but the second he signs that tender, he becomes tradeable. As unlikely as it might be that they would look to trade him or that they even could, he likely doesn't want to give them that option and take the risk of not being the QB in Dallas moving forward.

Then if he wants to eliminate that, sign the deal that's being offered. One year difference isn't much, and it certainly isn't for the dollars being discussed. Besides, if he outplays his deal, do you really think that the team wouldn't negotiate to extend him on the back end of it? And do so prior to the contract expiring?

Like I said, if his true concern is being able to hit the market early, the easiest solution is to play under the tag. Except, what Prescott wants is to have his cake and eat it too - he wants top of the market money for a QB, and short term deal to boot. The Cowboys completely screwed this negotiation up by being public with it, and also by putting the exclusive tag on him. The transition tag isn't a good move, because yes, you let other teams determine his value, but, if the Cowboys decide that Prescott isn't worth what he's being offered, they let him go for zero compensation. The proper move would have been the non-exclusive franchise tag, due to it being less money against the cap for one year, and it affords them compensation if he gets a deal elsewhere that the Cowboys aren't willing to give him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In ways I think Dak is taking a major chance on a 4 year deal. Look if it plays out the way he envisions it in terms of his level of play and the fortunes of this team winning a championship he would have a chance at another big contract at the end of 4 years. However he also risk that he does not elevate his play and the team continues to come up short, his value will be, well the same as Dalton is now. At the end of 4 years he will be 30 and have QB this team for 8 years and if there is nothing to show for it then he likely will be looking for a backup QB elsewhere. So it is a gamble on the part of Dak more so than by the Cowboys.

Elevate his play? You mean like throw for 6000 yards instead for 5000? I dont think anyone has done that. You want him to have 40 TD's instead of 33? He already led the #1 offense in football last year averageing 27 points per game. With little help from a bad defense.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I fail to see how Dak is gaining leverage especially since the Cowboys now have a proven option backing him up. It seems like neither party is willing to budge. I see Dak likely playing out this year on the tag and then probably going somewhere else next year. I really hope Jerry doesn't cave like he did with Zeke.

Dalton is a backup and that's it. He would lead us nowhere if he had to play a full season here. Dak and his camp knows this. Dallas knows this. He might be one of the best backups to have as he has a lot of experience and playoff experience but having him does not mean Dak lost any leverage. Dallas wants to win now. Dalton does not do that for us.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Let him play out the year under the tag. Revisit the situation one year later. If he plays poorly, sign him for much, much less or get rid of him. If he plays well, he has the better hand and can demand more. However, the Cowboys can shop around and compare what he wants, what he brings to the table, and compare it with what is available in the draft and via free agents.

Works for me. I am in no hurry to sign someone long term, especially when there may not even be a season.

Teams are winning with young QBs recently drafted. I believe that is the result of the college game being so much better today than decades ago. Game ready QBs are available in the draft these days as long as you surround him with a solid core. The Cowboys have a very solid core which will most likely allow any QB to succeed.

glimmerman

Reaction score
There is no hurry for the next month. It’s just the fact that it hasn’t been signed yet is driving us nuts. I would rather see them ink it now and see what kind of cap they can have by moving money around on the deal. The signing bonus and things like that.

I am actually glad to hear Dak wants a 4 year deal. I was wondering if it was something strange like 2 or 3 years. Most QB getting signed right now are getting 4 year deals. I think both wentz and goff went 4 years. I think the second deal will be where Dak will want long term security. He better continue to improve or 4 will be it. Lol.

JJ must be wanting 5-7 years. Either way the money was already there. Glad to hear he wasn’t trying 40 a year, although it wouldn’t surprise me if his agent didn’t ask real quick.. Lol..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What difference does it make? 35M a year for this QB is something I think they will regret, better to be out of that in 4 than stuck for 5.

That's Wilson and Rodgers money and both have proven what this QB has not, they can win with average support players. How long are the Cowboys going to have that offense together for Prescott to execute and that's what he is, he is a game manager, a good one, but that is all he is other than making the occasional play with his legs which if you think that's going to continue for 4 or 5 years, think again.

Have those so enamored with Prescott forgotten how he looked with average support and his RB out?

And before anyone goes off on the Dakater angle, I was a fan of this kid's at Miss St and watched every televised game and every Cowboys game since and my opinion has not changed. He gets every bit of mileage out of his talent he can, which is admirable, but he is not at the talent level of a Wilson, Rodgers or Ryan and never will be.

I try to remain objective and the player and their talent level does not change because of the uniform they wear. There's no better example of that than the Prescott-Wentz debate, that debate is marred with team colors.

Who gives a damn about 4 or 5 years? The unknown about that overshadows it. I do know this team's best chances are right now and in front of it for a couple of years but they will be riding the offense so I am in favor of keeping the band together.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The reality is that neither Dak nor Andy will lead you to the promised land. The difference is that with Andy you only lose one year and 7 million at most. With Dak you lose 4-5 years and over 100 million. Dak lost a lot of leverage with the Dalton signing. Dalton is arguably the best back-up in the league. With this talent and coaching around him, which he never had in Cincy, he has the talent and experience to perform at Dak’s average level for 2 years. And without the financial burden.

Reality is that you are going to have to keep crying about Dak because he isnt going anywhere.

Javier

Reaction score
Dak's leverage is many things.
1. He is the offense and you want him in all meetings and workouts. This is a newly tweaked offense.
2. Pat Mahomes is currently also pushing for a 4 year deal. One that will shatter the ceiling on salaries.
3. You just drafted a WR in round 1 that has never caught a pass from Dak, you want them working together ASAP.
4. You have 31.4m tied up in his franchise tag that could be cut in half EASILY and possibly free up 20M. --With 20m you could sign Everson Griffin AND Jadeveon Clowney if you so desired. They won't but could.
5. You have Super Bowl aspirations. Getting Dak signed now both enhances that possibility but also frees you from having to pay him coming off a Super Bowl.
6. If Dak plays out the season he is GTD 39M next year on a 2nd franchise tag thus all discussions get moved north by 5-6M per year if he just repeats the statistical season he had in 2019!!

Dak is not the offense