Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys are at an impasse over nothing

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is an immeasurably stupid approach by Prescott's camp.

"If he continues to perform as he has, he stands to earn considerably more..."

I don't know about that. First, the cap needs to continue to grow, which is likely but still.

Secondly, if his performance is of status quo...building stats against weaker teams and when down several scores...sure, someone may want to pay him...BUT...that also implies he still hasn't gotten deep into the playoffs, and that's the key.

Playoff success isnt fully in Prescotts hands, and if he doesnt achieve it, and being that much older...I'm not so sure it's not the best move to grab as much as you can right now.

How many NFL players have become wealthy on a THIRD NFL contract as opposed to a second?

What about injury preventing him from him getting that third contract?

Maybe they cash in, but it sounds like pure greed to me, because Prescott and his next several generations can be financially set with what Jones is offering now....and they are balking.

I just dont see greed working out, because that's really all it is, and not smart business.

Reality is that its very very smart of Dak's camp.

Swagger

Reaction score
Elevate his play? You mean like throw for 6000 yards instead for 5000? I dont think anyone has done that. You want him to have 40 TD's instead of 33? He already led the #1 offense in football last year averageing 27 points per game. With little help from a bad defense.
As in individually play well against good teams.

8 TDs and 8 Interceptions just isn't acceptable I'm afraid

Swagger

Reaction score
Cherry picking
Yes but from the games that actually matter. Someone like Brian Hoyer would ball out in this offense against bad teams.

That's the crux of what many people highlight regarding Prescott - his individual performances against good teams just haven't been up to what's required.

Wood

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are not far apart on the terms of a new deal.
They apparently haven’t been far for a while now. The market is essentially dictating the price to both parties so the average annual compensation and guaranteed cash are basically spelled out.

So contrary to popular belief, it’s not Dak’s outrageous demands or selfishness or greed that’s holding this up. It’s the length of the deal. Rather than asking for more Dak’s actually asking for less. Try that on for size, Dak haters.

Now before we throw him a parade and add him to the Christmas card list, let’s be clear: this isn’t about sacrifice or altruism. This is good business from Dak Prescott’s camp. A short-term deal may offer less overall dollars, but if Dak continues to perform as he’s been, he stands to make considerably more overall getting to the free agent market again as quickly as possible.

That’s where the two parties are at the impasse.

Dak has on the table, we believe, a $35M APY offer with $106M+ g'teed. With an argument about 4 v 5 years. So, @Boys_Vox 's right – there's no 'disrespect' in that. https://t.co/voVx1G9rFk

— fishsports (@fishsports) May 3, 2020

Multiple reliable sources have indicated, for quite a while now, the Dallas Cowboys want to sign Dak to a 5-year deal while Dak wants a 4-year deal. Each day that goes by Dak seems to get a little more leverage so it seems wise to explore what that extra year is worth on the market, right?

https://sportdfw.com/2020/05/04/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-impasse-over-nothing/

APY of $35 million is taking less??? Give me a break. Thats big over-pay because it puts him over Wentz & Rogers and same at Wilson. He is not even remotely close to talent of those three. The more this goes on the more I really hope he just signs franchise tag for this year and both parties move on next year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes but from the games that actually matter. Someone like Brian Hoyer would ball out in this offense against bad teams.

That's the crux of what many people highlight regarding Prescott - his individual performances against good teams just haven't been up to what's required.

Dak is the #1 in the NFL in last drive wins since he has entered the league.

Dak has a 43% winning percentage against winning teams. That ranks him among the best.

Cherry picking is what biased trolls do because they cant make a credible argument otherwise.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
APY of $35 million is taking less??? Give me a break. Thats big over-pay because it puts him over Wentz & Rogers and same at Wilson. He is not even remotely close to talent of those three. The more this goes on the more I really hope he just signs franchise tag for this year and both parties move on next year.

Oh WOW!!!! Big overpay!!! 2 million overpay!!!! :lmao::lmao2::lmao2:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Brian Hoyer? :lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2:

The QB guru no doubt.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

?
4 x 35=140
5 35= 175
My calculation says that is 35 mill less he could have made.

After 4 years and his contract is over his pay will then be based on the production or lack of production in those 4 years. If he fails then that next year he could be looking at backup QB money no where close to 35 mill

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The incumbent here is the same player as the one you’re trying to dismiss so we should pay him all this money because? At the same point in their careers they had similar stats winning wise (didn’t look it up either other stats people said so) so like ive been saying they along with Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith are the same players some of y’all are just blind or worse to Dak because of emotions.
I didn't say pay him all the money, as far as the reports that are out there, with people are actually connected to people in NFL offices, its the length of the contract that's being negotiated.....

one is clearly on the upswing of his career...the other just got dumped and on the downside of his career....as for stat wise, Dak is by far better than Dalton.....

I am not emotional...prior to the season, I was against signing dak to a contract....the talk was about a 28-30M contract, but I thought we need to see more and see if he improves and correctrs some of his issues, by far he did that during the season and showed...my argument was I would rather over pay by a few million, but be sure, than pay 26-28 and him not being good and the impact to the cap.... the argument is not about the 35 million...in reality its about 5 million difference, given prior to the season people would have been happy with a 30M contract...

jjktkk

Reaction score
Ya, I guarantee if this was Aikman or Romo instead of Dak, you would say different.
Aikman was proven winner, so that is a horrible comparison. As far as Romo I personally think he was a better QB than Dak, but like Dak, has never won big in the playoffs, plus Tony couldn't stay healthy. You might also speculate that Jerry and friends, seeing the Goff, Wentz, and Cousins contracts, might be a little leery of handing out huge contracts to good, but not elite QBs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If our Football Idiot and Son have drawn a line in the sand it must be a ridiculous or greedy demand from our QB because our Dynamic Dumbutts overpay everyone eventually we retain.

csirl

Reaction score
Any Bucs fans looking at CZ will get a sense of deja vue. Dak = Josh Freeman. Will sink down the football ranks into obscurity once he leaves the Cowboys.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The reality is that neither Dak nor Andy will lead you to the promised land. The difference is that with Andy you only lose one year and 7 million at most. With Dak you lose 4-5 years and over 100 million. Dak lost a lot of leverage with the Dalton signing. Dalton is arguably the best back-up in the league. With this talent and coaching around him, which he never had in Cincy, he has the talent and experience to perform at Dak’s average level for 2 years. And without the financial burden.
we know for sure Dalton won't. the book on him is clear...he is 0-5 and has been dismal when it counted....the book on Dak hasn't been done yet, he has only improved year to year, having his best season last year.....

with Dalton, you might as well throw your money into a garbage disposal...7 mill, 1 mill or 20K...its money wasted....guaranteed. given history of how he performed....funny you mention losing 7 mill as if that should make one feel better...

dak has an upside that Dalton has never been able to achieve....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dalton is capable of winning, he has done so before. Got his teams to the playoffs at least. And more often than Dak.
he is 0-5 in the playoffs...he has been dismal in post season...regular season doesn't matter..... in post season he has folded like an old rusty chair...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Same thing. You dont think Mahomes has great talent around him?
he does. he absolutely does. the argument I have always made, is what do you do when you have that kind of talent around you. how do you perform. how do you use those talents. every QB who has won has had talent on the team. they all talk about Brady, but Brady has had some talent on the offensive side. he also has had the benefit of bilicheck as a coach. Brees has some talent around him, with Kamara, Thomas, etc. over the years....last year, Dak led the team to the #1 offense, despite garrett and a rookie OC...

Wood

Reaction score
?
4 x 35=140
5 35= 175
My calculation says that is 35 mill less he could have made.

After 4 years and his contract is over his pay will then be based on the production or lack of production in those 4 years. If he fails then that next year he could be looking at backup QB money no where close to 35 mill

I don't care about total money. I look at avg per year money. He is not in any circumstance a $35 mill year QB. That's reserved for guys who actually win playoff games and SB (Wilson, Mahomes).