Dak Prescott better than Newton/Winston?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dak was a turnover machine in 2017 when things got a little rough (oh no, instead of 3 all-Pro HOF caliber lineman, Dak, you’ll have to get by with 2 for a few games). It’s easy for a game manager to avoid interceptions, that’s their sole job. He’s also avoided touchdown passes as well unfortunately.
He couldn't possibly improve from 2 years ago.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Touchdown passes is a weird argument to bring up when debating Cam vs. Dak. Dak, who I agree has not been a prolific touchdown thrower, has 71 touchdown passes since coming into the league.

Cam has 65 touchdown passes during that same span.

BUT ... Cam is obviously a much bigger threat to get into the end zone with his legs. He's produced 15 touchdown runs since Dak was drafted.

Dak has 18 touchdown runs during that span.

So we can agree that Dak has been both a lower-volume interception thrower and a higher-volume touchdown producer?
You’re forgetting Dak’s fumbles, but sure. But that isn’t what I was saying. Outside of Newton’s fluke MVP season he really hasn’t been very special, which is why I referred to his peak. 35 TDs passing, 10 TD rushing, and the highest TD to pass attempts ratio in the NFL. Dak can’t touch that.
The problem with Dak is that when you remove his fluke season, he hasn’t been anything special either. Except he has no MVP. Cam > Dak

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Ability-wise, he's better than Winston for sure. Cam was a beast a few years ago, so I will wait to see how Dak continues to call that one.

Leadership: Dak smashes both of them. Cam is too emotionally driven, peaks and valleys. Dak is tremendously confident under stress and doesn't get rattled.

kskboys

Reaction score
Number of offensive Pro Bowlers Dak has played with in just 3 seasons: 13
Number of offensive Pro Bowlers Winston has played with in FOUR seasons: 4

Yeah, let’s pretend that if we would have dropped Dak into any situation that anybody would be talking about him until the XFL finally kicks off. I know Dak slobberers are unusually high this week because of Dak’s pitch and catch practice game against the Giants, but please stop setting yourself up for failure. Dak and Winston were in the same tier in rankings all offseason and they still are. And Dak is not in Cam’s tier.
Now check out their D's.

dckid

Reaction score
I've never thought Winston was better, or really all that good. I used to think highly of Cam, but I think injuries are starting to wear him down.

You hit it on the head. Cam just isnt the same player now that he was when he won MVP and even prior to that year. The throwing motion is off.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After last weeks impressive showings Dak Prescott and Lamar Jackson are the future Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers of the NFL......:omg:.......

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to compare QB's because of the situations being different. You couldn't equal the Cowboys OL taking players off both of those OL's and combining them and that LT was a reminder of Chaz Green.

What a bogus NFL game last night, a reminder of why I stopped watching TNF. The only thing worse than the game and officiating was Irvin looking like a blind iguana dressed him in a dark closet.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Is Dak Prescott better than Cam Newton/Jamis Winston ?

From watching Bucs/Panthers Thursday night game - and seeing two former No.1 overall in the draft QBs in Cam Newton and Jamis Winston struggle, (as they did last year as well) I am that much appreciative and grateful that we have a 4th rounder QB that has emerged as a performer that has surpassed both Newton and Winston as a better QB,imo.

Both QBs Newton and Winston are supposed to be in the hands of great offensive minded coaches in Norv Turner and Bruce Arians, but they still look pedestrian like and you could tell they still were not playing with much swagger and self- confidence.

But with Dak,... Kellen moore,.. the OL.. and the weapons Dak has around him, we could not be in a better situation, ..as compared to what we are seeing in the two once No.1 overall picks, Newton and Winston.

Yes, and easily Yes.

Newton has elite abilities, but intangibles are through the floor. Plus he is banged up big time at this point. I think he has a foot out the door toward retirement. Give me Dak and don't look back.

Winston... a turnover machine w/questionable character. I think Dak does everything better than Winston at this point regardless. Dak's will to win far superceded Jamis'.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cam truly was Superman in his prime, hes damaged goods and many think his shoulder is fused....he was a Baller though, back in the day
For one year.

However, he was never a great passer, and has been exposed. All you have to do to stop him is hit him. He makes it easy by wanting to run all the time. Maybe he's finally trying not to run all the time any more?

Even in his superman season of 2015, he only threw for 3,837 yds. That's OK at best in today's passing league. He consistently ran himself out of trouble instead of progressing as a passer.

kskboys

Reaction score
Same...never was a fan of either really...especially Winston. Cam has all-world talent, but something about him always rubbed me the wrong way. And now he’s just broken down. At least he’s taking the blame now...so he’s grown some in that regard.
I don't think he has all world talent. I believe that overall his passing skills are subpar. He's below average in reading D's and accuracy.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Number of offensive Pro Bowlers Dak has played with in just 3 seasons: 13
Number of offensive Pro Bowlers Winston has played with in FOUR seasons: 4

Yeah, let’s pretend that if we would have dropped Dak into any situation that anybody would be talking about him until the XFL finally kicks off. I know Dak slobberers are unusually high this week because of Dak’s pitch and catch practice game against the Giants, but please stop setting yourself up for failure. Dak and Winston were in the same tier in rankings all offseason and they still are. And Dak is not in Cam’s tier.
I don't think Dak has the arm that Cam has but Newton's running back style qb'ing has taken it's toll. Winston has his moments but he just doesn't have it.....no matter what OL/probowlers he has or doesn't have. Consistantly stupid decisions like Winston makes need to stop. He will be a good backup next year somewhere else unless he changes.

Your Dak hatred is clearly evident but he is the qb of the Dallas Cowboys. No matter how good he does, you will bust his kahones.

Dak has a good team around him. If Winston had the same team, he would still suck cause he cannot handle pressure. jmo

Silverz1972

Reaction score
Dak has a better OL and weapons.

Cam is still injured.

Neither cam or Winston has been offered a 30 million a year contract.

Is Dak Prescott better than Cam Newton/Jamis Winston ?

From watching Bucs/Panthers Thursday night game - and seeing two former No.1 overall in the draft QBs in Cam Newton and Jamis Winston struggle, (as they did last year as well) I am that much appreciative and grateful that we have a 4th rounder QB that has emerged as a performer that has surpassed both Newton and Winston as a better QB,imo.

Both QBs Newton and Winston are supposed to be in the hands of great offensive minded coaches in Norv Turner and Bruce Arians, but they still look pedestrian like and you could tell they still were not playing with much swagger and self- confidence.

But with Dak,... Kellen moore,.. the OL.. and the weapons Dak has around him, we could not be in a better situation, ..as compared to what we are seeing in the two once No.1 overall picks, Newton and Winston.

Blake

Reaction score
These guys are absolutely Hilarious!...... next week another thread will be is Dak better than Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold?.....or maybe Ryan Leaf and Quincy Carter?

Better to ask, "Who's better Dak or Brees, Brady, Mahomes Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlesberger"..... just stop listing bottom feeders that are over the hill

Funny how you inadvertently admit that Dak belongs in the same discussion of the aforementioned top QBs you just listed. Ya'll haters are so inconsistent it's hilarious, yet do a fine job of making the argument for Dak supporters that he is a good QB.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I didn’t say he’s currently better than Dak troll. Learn to read. Although now, I will say it... yes he’s better than Dak currently as well.
If Dak was drafted by a team that was bad enough to get the first overall pick like Winston or Cam he would be in the XFL right now.
Is this going to kick off another session where you start screaming at me in all caps again? I can never exactly figure out which posts are going to trigger you into a rampage.
Lol... I didn't say that (although I said exactly that), but I'm saying that.

That is pretty good.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
You’re forgetting Dak’s fumbles, but sure. But that isn’t what I was saying. Outside of Newton’s fluke MVP season he really hasn’t been very special, which is why I referred to his peak. 35 TDs passing, 10 TD rushing, and the highest TD to pass attempts ratio in the NFL. Dak can’t touch that.
The problem with Dak is that when you remove his fluke season, he hasn’t been anything special either. Except he has no MVP. Cam > Dak

We might be debating different things. I don't disagree Cam's career has been better. It absolutely has. But that 2015 MVP season is such a distant memory compared to Cam's current abilities that it has no realistic bearing in the discussion of who is better now.

It's no different than stating Adrian Peterson is superior to Saquon Barkley, Zeke, Melvin Gordon or anyone else. Career-wise, yes. Now? No way.

And by Dak's "fluke" season, do you mean the 2017 campaign where he was statistically worse than he's been at every other point of his career? Let's be honest, that 12-game stretch from 2017 is currently the outlier of Dak's career -- not the 2016 season.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Winston is too turnover prone. Dak has traditionally been very conscious of turning the ball over.
Cam is a shell of his former self, and Dak is smarter. What I mean is that Dak has forced himself to be a pocket passer. Sure, he can run and probably needs to run a lot more. But he doesn't want to rely on his feet. He's training himself to throw first, run second because that will benefit him as a quarterback and benefit his career.
Cam did it backwards. He thought he was indestructible. So, he ran first and passed second. Now his body is beat up from all that running. Now he can't pass.
I would say now Dak is better. I think he can be much better than both because I think Cam is entering Andrew Luck territory and Jameis will likely regress because I just don't think he has the serious mentality to change long term. I've talked to some of his teachers in school, and they say his mentality today is the same mentality he had when he was in middle and high school.

Nav22

Reaction score
Since 2016:

Dak: 89 total TD, 25 INT, 25 fumbles... 97.4 passer rating, 33-16 record

Cam: 80 total TD, 44 INT, 20 fumbles... 82.6 passer rating, 23-23 record

Don’t hurt yourself trying to do an honest comparison.

Shrug your shoulders and stick with idiotic blanket statements like, “Neither of them have been special, so therefore Cam’s MVP that he won 4 seasons ago makes him the better QB currently!”

Attaboy! That’s a good boy!! Keep the laughs comin’!
:lmao2: