Dak Prescott Predictions

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I predict this will be yet another in a long line of Dak related threads that go nowhere but the Pro Dak and Anti Dak re-signing camps arguing over it when none of us have any control of the result.
It is what it is my friend.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a starter, let us stay within the realm of reality first and foremost.
Dak is a stud or better said was a stud in Jerry Jones's mind and with some of our fan base. For the rest of the NFL, the GM's has him a Tier 3 QB at best.
Add to the above his massive injury and Dak is toast.
Expect him to be released as there is very little if no trade interest esp with the price-tag Prescott wants.
Cowboys will re-sign Dalton (This will be the first news of Prescott's impending fate) and move up in the Draft for a Rook QB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think what the FO will do is franchise Dak for now, and they will examine the progression of his leg as we get closer to the draft. If his leg is healing to where we need his ankle to be, then he will be extended. If not, I suspect that he will remain on the tag, but the Cowboys will probably draft a QB or sign a veteran such as Cam Newton who can potentially play a similar style until Dak is ready or take over for Dak. In fact, I sort of suspect the Cowboys may just sign a QB like Cam anyway as insurance who can be the backup if Dak is ready.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dallas will franchise Dak because he is unable to prove he is fine. Training camp will roll around and he wont be the same same player and as everyone waits for him to get better he never will. His ankle is not flexible and he has to run flat footed and cant get that push off he needs to for throwing.
Dallas should let him walk. Forget investing with a franchise tag because even if he ends up being fine he wont sign with Dallas after the second franchise tag.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
1. Dak and his agent hold firm on a 4 year contract; Jerry tags Dak for the non exclusive tag. Dak and his agent gets to see his worth.
2. Dak will get an offer from a team desperate for a QB and yes after seeing what teams are giving up he will sign a deal. Jerry will take his picks and move on.
#1 ain’t happening. Either part of it.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Jerry signs Dak to a 10 year 499 mil contract that includes 150 mil signing bonus and the first 5 years guaranteed.

Jerry trades or releases Martin, Ty Smith, Gallop, Jaylon, Tank and LVE to fit Dak under the cap.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i think if the franchise him and they dont sign a long term deal by july dead line he plays some and then next year moves on

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well I read all the comments, and only a few did as op asked ! lol
Only a few real predictions.

Me I have no idea, as it is hard to predict what insane people will do, and the jones boys are clearly insane !
As proof just look at the ewok and jaylon extensions, pure insanity.

I do think jones has doubts about dak, so I will predict another tag year, probably exclusive. This is so they can test run dak and see if he
can still play the same with the ankle.

What should they do? Well alot of things they wont do, so predicting what they should do with dak is kinda trivial.
But to play along, just tag him with non exclusive tag, and either take the 2 # 1's and move on, and at least find out if any team wants him, which
would help negotiate later on.
I would take the 2 # 1's if someone offered them, and use those for defensive players, and then sign bridgewater, heneke, play gilbert, for this next season.
The team doesnt need a great qb , if you have a great defense.
But jones boys are insane, and they love the offense, so would never do any of this, and will never have a great defense, so it doesnt matter who
our qb is.

Hadenough

Reaction score
For a starter, let us stay within the realm of reality first and foremost.
Dak is a stud or better said was a stud in Jerry Jones's mind and with some of our fan base. For the rest of the NFL, the GM's has him a Tier 3 QB at best.
Add to the above his massive injury and Dak is toast.
Expect him to be released as there is very little if no trade interest esp with the price-tag Prescott wants.
Cowboys will re-sign Dalton (This will be the first news of Prescott's impending fate) and move up in the Draft for a Rook QB.
I totally agree that he is done. He already struggled a lot with his mechanics and has a weak arm. He needs to get his power from his legs and without the ability to explode and push off I suspect his balls will all be landing short. Not only will his throwing motion be altered but he wont be as fast running and his ability to run was his strongest asset along with being durable. Any GM that gives him a 4-5 year contract without watching him play in seasonal games will need their head examined.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Questions:

1. What will the Cowboys do with Dak and how will it work out?

They will not be able to come to a long term agreement, principally because of concerns that the injury is lingering. If Jerry wanted Dak signed, the deal would be done by now.

Dak will be franchised, which will be a painful exercise because it will require restructuring contracts that the team does not want to restructure. For example, they’ll restructure Cooper, thus sealing the fate of Michael Gallup.

Then they will shock the world by trading up and drafting a quarterback in the NFL draft. That trade up will involve their first two picks plus Gallup.

The saga comes to an end in June when Dak agrees to sign his franchise tag in order to trade him to the Bears. If he won’t sign the tag, I could see a scenario where they rescind it entirely, as reported by the FAN’s Mike Bacsik.

2. What should the Cowboys do and what would likely happen if they did?

Tough to fault Jerry because he made several fair offers. Todd France isn’t negotiating for Dak - he’s negotiating for his own reputation and future clients. It’s unfortunate that he chose Dak as the poster child, and that Dak isn’t willing to step in and say “Enough!”.

Michael Irvin had a great take on this on the latest episode of his podcast. If you like podcasts and you love the Cowboys, this podcast is a “must listen”.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-michael-irvin-podcast/id1531738990

Anyway, I didn’t answer the question because there are no good answers when you’re up against someone like France. Do you overpay and set a precedent? Do you let your franchise quarterback walk?

My answer is: they should have used the non-exclusive franchise tag last year. It would have meant a number under $30M (which would mean a lower number this year) and would have shown France that the market isn’t what he thinks it is for his QB.

That was Jerry trying to do the right thing in good faith, an olive branch that got him nowhere.

Now the only answer is to find a trading partner and start over.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Is it even possible for you to offer a counter post without hurling personal insults or playground name calling?

This. Why are posters calling out the OP and labeling this as a Dak hate thread? He’s just asking for opinions. You read the title and not only opened the thread but commented.

Let’s discuss. What else is there to talk about in February anyway?

Frankly, the Dak slobberers are just as bad as the Dak haters. You know, it’s possible to love this team and have doubts about your quarterback, especially after a season ending injury that required a second surgery and an agent who is negotiating for his own reputation rather than the good of the player that he represents.

Again, Michael Irvin nailed it in the latest episode of his podcast. Dak received several very good offers and as the quarterback of America’s team he will make money outside the game that he won’t sniff anywhere else. That’s not taking a side, that’s just the truth.

Good thread, @csirl .. I’m curious as to how this soap opera plays out and I enjoy reading opinions from fans. Let’s see who gets it right.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry doesn't have the balls to start over at QB. He has every intention of signing Dak and it will be an albatross around this teams neck for the foreseeable future. Dak will break all the franchise passing records and never see an NFC title game......just like his predecessor. Expect, big passing numbers in a pass happy league built for QBs to pile on the yards.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fully expect Dallas to sign Dak to a 4 to 5 year deal

They will restructure some contracts to get some other players signed both in house and outside FA

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
He'll get another tag, he has no trade value and the Cowboys know he isn't the answer.

He isn't the answer at the price tag he is demanding. If someone else wants to be dumb enough to pay Prescott's demands then have at it. It will be another Kurt Cousins situation where you have an overpaid QB who is good enough to beat up on the minnows of the league but forget about him showing up when placed in competition against the better teams.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
Why don’t the people who manage this team become more critical about player performance? What I’m saying is that Cowboys get stuck on mediocre performing players because the management can’t seem to evaluate performance. Dak is likable but average. Get rid of him. Get rid of Dalton for the same reason. Find a good QB.