Dak Prescott Predictions

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if he is, it still proves that other QBs need help from the talent around them as well. The fact you just dismissed that indicates you aren't really interested in fair discussion.

Okay, and depending on the QB you are talking about they have usually been able to achieve what they needed to achieve with varying degrees of help. Trent Dilfer for instance needed one of the best defenses the league ever saw to win a SB. Tom Brady for most of his career made do with average receivers yet still managed to win SB's. The difference is that Dak is closer to his needs being in line with Trent Dilfer than he is Tom Brady. When you need that much help demanding elite money is a sure fire way to ensure that the team is going nowhere.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, Aikman won nothing without Emmitt and Emmitt won nothing without Aikman and neither of them won anything without Michael or the offensive line and were barely good enough to win without Jimmy.

Now, given that I have just stated this explain how Dak Prescott demanding elite money that will surely wreck the cap and affect the team that is placed around him. Let us not forget that Prescott is no Aikman and does not have a team that is anywhere close to being as stacked as that 90's team oh and the real rub in all this - WE HAVE A SALARY CAP that did not hinder that 90's team - certainly not when it was put together.

uh, there was no salary cap before '94. .

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
uh, there was no salary cap before '96. Dallas has not won a super bowl in the capped era.

I agree. So even comparing Aikman's situation where there was no onerous restrictions placed on the caliber of talent you could get because of cap restrictions is crazy,

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. So even comparing Aikman's situation where there was no onerous restrictions placed on the caliber of talent you could get because of cap restrictions is crazy,

Well, every team plays by the same rules of the era. The Cowboys were masters of that pre-cap era mostly b/c they were lead by great coaches who drafted and developed talent. There are not many recent examples of teams with top 5 paid QBs in a super bowl. Brady excluded. Most recent examples have rookie contracts at QB and built a team around them in free agency. Thats how Philly, LA, and Seattle won the NFC. KC backloaded Mahomes deal to make a 2 year run......then they will have to pay the piper and dismantle.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Prescott WILL be tagged. The question is, exclusive or non exclusive?

Dallas SHOULD use the non exclusive tag and let the league set the market.

With the injury the price for a new contract will be reasonable. If some team gets crazy with the price Dallas reaps the two #1s and starts the process for the next QB.

That's how I believe the situation should be resolved.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, and depending on the QB you are talking about they have usually been able to achieve what they needed to achieve with varying degrees of help. Trent Dilfer for instance needed one of the best defenses the league ever saw to win a SB. Tom Brady for most of his career made do with average receivers yet still managed to win SB's. The difference is that Dak is closer to his needs being in line with Trent Dilfer than he is Tom Brady. When you need that much help demanding elite money is a sure fire way to ensure that the team is going nowhere.
Sure, I would agree that some need less help than others, but realistically many QBs, including HOFers, have had a lot of help.

Aikman was mentioned, and while I agree Dak is not that level, realistically Aikman had an incredible running game and an incredible O-Line supporting him, along with a strong defense. The point is simply that every QB needs quality talent around him, so dismissing Dak because he needs quality talent around him isn't fair as a stand alone argument. There are a lot of factors that go into it.

I would say guys like Mahomes, Rodgers and Brady need less help, but realistically it's not easy to just run out an pick up a QB at that level. Even among those guys, one was drafted over 20 years ago, and another over 15 years ago, so those guys are pretty rare.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

With the injury the price for a new contract will be reasonable. If some team gets crazy with the price Dallas reaps the two #1s and starts the process for the next QB.

Tagging Dak would just be a ploy to extend negotiations. We cannot go into the 2021 season taking a 37M cap hit from Dak.

erod

Reaction score

I'm beginning to wonder.

If they tag him, this will be his final year in Dallas. Dallas won't give him a $55 million tag n 2022 and he won't miss out on the opportunity at full free agency, a la Kirk Cousins. That seems to be his goal.

Does Jerry really want a lame-duck season with his QB hanging over everything? Or would he rather get on to the future right now.

I think Dak either signs soon, or he may very well be gone.

Section446

Reaction score
He isn't the answer at the price tag he is demanding. If someone else wants to be dumb enough to pay Prescott's demands then have at it. It will be another Kurt Cousins situation where you have an overpaid QB who is good enough to beat up on the minnows of the league but forget about him showing up when placed in competition against the better teams.
My thoughts exactly, he's not good enough to be a top-5 paid QB.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
You don't think Dak even qualifies as a "good" QB? That belief pretty much kills any chance at reasonable discussion.

If you want to say he isn't "elite" in the mold of Mahomes, Brady or Rodgers, then you have a basis for discussion, but even then the notion that a team can just go out and get that level of QB just by deciding it wants one is pretty misguided. It's so rare, in fact, that out of those QBs you have to go back over years to find when one was drafted, and over years to find when another was drafted. They don't grow in trees.
Not good enough.

Paradox

Reaction score
1. What will the Cowboys do with Dak and how will it work out?
Franchise tag. He won't be the same QB because of the injury. He walks in 2022.

2. What should the Cowboys do and what would likely happen if they did?
Sign Garrett Gilbert on the cheap and buy greatness at safety. At that point we could afford several key FAs to bolster the D, but also a couple of O-line vets and a TE. Then draft all D. We would be in the NFC championship game for years to come.

My3Sons

Reaction score

JJ & Son will fold and overpay Dak. I am guessing $40 mil per year. This, along with the contracts of Zeke, Lawerence, Smith, etc will keep the team in mediocrity for the rest of Jerry's life.

2. What should the Cowboys do and what would likely happen if they did?.

Tell Dak his offer is $30 million per for 5 in Dallas. When he says no, tell him he can seek a sign and trade from other teams. He should fetch a 1st and a 3rd minimum.
Draft Trey Lance and defense. Bring back Gilbert at QB on the cheap for a few years. Try to build an entire team with no clown contracts that hold the team back in FA.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not good enough.
What QBs would be good enough? If you are talking about Mahomes, Rodgers and Brady, then how do you propose getting a QB like that?

I also have to wonder if guys like Joe Flacco and Eli Manniing were good enough, or if they were part of an overall team that was good enough.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Questions:

The Cowboys will franchise tag Dak. There will be no trade interest. He will still have lingering after effects of his injury when training camp opens. He'll go on IR or PUP for the start of the season and concentrate on getting back to 100% rather than playing poorly with the after effects. He'll enter free agency without having had to play much and fresh without a seasons wear and tear. Will sign a 2-3 year contract with another team, but will never excel and drift out of the league after a while.

2. What should the Cowboys do and what would likely happen if they did?

Not sign Dak and allow him to leave. Draft a first round QB plus sign a veteran temporary starter. Cowboys would win at least 1 x SB during MMs current tenure with the young QB. Meanwhile Dak will sign a short term deal elsewhere, not play well and drift out of the league after 2-3 years.

Dak will continue to make trolls like you look dumb.

trolls like you will continue to cry like babies hoping for the cowboys to fail.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Tagging Dak would just be a ploy to extend negotiations. We cannot go into the 2021 season taking a 37M cap hit from Dak.

Tag is the best option imo. No idea what he's going to look like after that injury. I don't think he'll even be ready to play until like October November.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tag is the best option imo. No idea what he's going to look like after that injury. I don't think he'll even be ready to play until like October November.
That doesn't seem to be the timetable we are hearing. I haven't found a strict timetable, but I've never seen anything that suggests he won't be ready to start the season.

Big_C_KU

Reaction score
1. Dak will be tagged. Jerry will cave and Dak will be signed to a 4 yr 45 mil contract. Dallas will be stuck in mediocrity with a good but not a great QB and nothing else around him. Just when QB contracts surpass Dak and the salary cap goes up Dak will be coming off his contract ready either to move on in free agency or for an even bigger pay day.

2. Should tag Dak and attempt to find a trade partner even if it involves no 1st and just mid-round picks. Worse case let Dak walk next offseason. He’ll sign somewhere else and be another Cousins especially if he signs somewhere with few weapons. Dallas draft a QB in rounds 2-3 to try and find QB of the future in 2021 draft.

In the end the situation is a no win situation for Dallas and it’s mostly their fault it’s reached this point. Have to think for it to get to this point that Dak is wanting to get out of Dallas after being shunned by the front office the last 2 years. Best for everyone to move either this offseason or next.