Dak Prescott QB rating under pressure

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Better than Romo holding and then throwing an int which people here forget.
and here we go, the inevitable Romo comparisons.......Romo has been gone for over 2 years....find somebody else to compare to....this is not about Romo, its about Das compared to the rest of the league

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nothing will change the minds of the anti-Dak group.

No statistic, no number of wins, no number of fourth quarter comebacks, nothing. They have a predetermined opinion of him, and a predetermined idea of what a franchise quarterback should look like and should play like. To them, Dak is a Tim Tebow-ish schlub that can't throw a football.

I doubt even a Super Bowl victory would change people's minds, and it's unfortunate. The 2000-2005 seasons are still fresh in my memory bank. We should be thanking the football gods for Dak given the way Romo's body broke down on him so quickly. This team could have gone through several seasons of never-will-bes like Anthony Wright, Quincy Carter, and Chad Hutchinson or has-beens like Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe all over again.

Maybe if we take the time to appreciate what Dak is- and that's a winner- instead of trying to pit him in an accuracy contest with Drew Brees all the time it might help.

But, again, I cannot change the anti-Dak agenda. I'm totally staying out of it once the Cowboys give him a new deal.
nothing will change the minds of Das lovers group.

no statistics, no amount of times he has put the team in losing position, no average passer, nothing. they have a pre-determined opinion of him and a predetermined idea of what a franchise QB he is and how he plays in their minds. to them, Das is Brady, Rogerish guru that can lift mountains by himself

I doubt if continued years of averageness would change these people's mind and its unfortunate. To them all failures are somebody else's fault or responsibility and all victories are because of Dak.

Make if we take the time to really evaluate Dak and really see that he is nothing but an average passer and middle of the pack QB, then we may actually understand what we have to do to truly succeed.

but, again, I can't change the Das lovers' agenda. I am totally staying out of it once they give him a new deal, as that would spell another few years of mediocrity and excuses. just get ready

perrykemp

Reaction score
In 2018 Dak ranked 18th (58.6) in the NFL in QBR Minimum 200 passes) and 14th (96.9) in the NFL for QB rating. Football Outsiders has him ranked 25th ranked by DYAR -- I don't pretend to understand FO's stats much although I know many people respect them

The fact that Dak Prescott is dead average in those two leading indicators of QB performance AND the fact that his rating is so high under pressure tells me the other parts of his game must be well below average?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Meh. 26 QBs had an overall QB rating greater than 88.2

Pretty obvious that being "under pressure" is either:
  • A) A small percentage of passes
  • B) Dependent on QB mobility
  • C) Dependent on QB ability
Most likely, it's combination of all 3.

Ryan is probably the least mobile QB list. Brees isn't on the list and it's probably because he can read a defense better/quicker than most so he doesn't face "pressure".

Mobile QBs will face more "pressure" than immobile QBs simply because they can extend a play. Less skilled QBs will also face more "pressure" simply because they are less skilled. All QBs, in general, face "pressure" on a limited basis.

It's not a measure of excellence, it's just a measure of happenstance.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I mean, Dak is somewhat mobile and can make a play if he escapes and sacks are not factored into passer rating. There is a reason only one QB of that group is not mobile.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have no idea if this is true or not. But I would imagine that Matt Ryan Having the best jump ball WR in the league to throw to, helps him in this area. But that’s just me making an educated guess.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I mean, Dak is somewhat mobile and can make a play if he escapes and sacks are not factored into passer rating. There is a reason only one QB of that group is not mobile.

Just realized this is PFF here. Is it their rating (next to useless for anything) or passer rating they're showing? If the latter, then what I said before applies (though I imagine it's a huge factor in PFF grades as well - which are still next to useless).

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Just realized this is PFF here. Is it their rating (next to useless for anything) or passer rating they're showing?
It's just passer rating. PFF's role in this is limited to putting the attempts in one of two boxes: "pressured" or "kept clean."

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Brees isn't on the list and it's probably because he can read a defense better/quicker than most so he doesn't face "pressure".
Brees is 8th on the list, despite only ranking 23rd in number of pressured attempts.

Manning, Rodgers, and Keenum are 19th, 21st, and 26th on the list, despite all ranking in the top 10 in number of pressured attempts.