Dak Prescott vs. Tony Romo

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Since the extremists seem to post more often than others, I just want to say, "There is no conflict in being a fan of BOTH Dak Prescott AND Tony Romo.

Watching Romo magic was the most enjoyable part of watching the Cowboys from 2006 - 2014. It is a shame the team was never as good as him. Watching old videos of him eluding tackles to get off a pass downfield never gets old, just like watching Emmitt Smith highlights never gets old. Tony only really had two opportunities in his career to get to the Super Bowl - 2007 and 2014. Unfortunately, the team came up short both times - in 2007 because of extraordinarily inept coaching by Wade Phillip's, and in 2014 because of a DeMarco Murray fumble, and a missed field goal.

Dak Prescott EXPLODED onto the NFL landscape with the single best rookie QB performance in the 100 year history of the league. It just doesn't get any better than Dak in 2016, as far as being a rookie. And like the gentleman he is, even Tony acknowledged that Dak EARNED the starting QB position. Even in defeat to the Packers, Dak's performance as a rookie in the playoffs was epic. But as with Tony in 2014, the defense in 2016 wasted a great QB performance. Dak has all the intangibles you look for in a QB. And he is still young and improving. He had a bad 16 game stretch in the second half of 2017, and the first half of 2018. But the last half of 2018 shows that his rookie year was no fluke. The Cowboys were 7-1 down the stretch last year, and Dak was a big reason why.

Tony proved that no QB can win a championship on his own. But the front office has done a better job this time surrounding their young QB with talent. The future is promising.

I am a huge fan of Tony Romo, AND a big fan of Dak Prescott. And I honestly believe that most Cowboys fans love both players, and are sick and tired of the verbal snipers who try to force us to choose one or the other. I choose BOTH. I refuse to be drawn into the argument of who is better. Tony's time was great for fans, and now it is Dak's time.

One last comment: More than any other NFL team, the Cowboys have enjoyed an extraordinary succession of talented starting quarterbacks. 1 year with poor talent as an expansion team --> Don Meredith --> Craig Morton --> Roger Staubach --> Danny White --> Troy Aikman --> 5 years in the desert --> Tony Romo --> Dak Prescott. In 60 seasons of play, the team has only suffered through 6 seasons of sub-par talent at the most important position on the field. Instead of griping and complaining, we should be thankful. No other team had enjoyed such a succession of talent.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am a fan of both. I am A Cowboys fan. I support and back all our players. I thought Romo was a great QB. He didn’t start out that way. I think Dak can be a great QB he had a huge start with that rookie year and will now be expected to get better than that every year.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Since the extremists seem to post more often than others, I just want to say, "There is no conflict in being a fan of BOTH Dak Prescott AND Tony Romo.

Watching Romo magic was the most enjoyable part of watching the Cowboys from 2006 - 2014. It is a shame the team was never as good as him. Watching old videos of him eluding tackles to get off a pass downfield never gets old, just like watching Emmitt Smith highlights never gets old. Tony only really had two opportunities in his career to get to the Super Bowl - 2007 and 2014. Unfortunately, the team came up short both times - in 2007 because of extraordinary inept coaching by Wade Phillip's, and in 2014 because of a DeMarco Murray fumble, and a missed field goal.

Dak Prescott EXPLODED onto the NFL landscape with the single best rookie QB performance in the 100 year history of the league. It just doesn't get any better than Dak in 2016, as far as being a rookie. And like the gentleman he is, even Tony acknowledged that Dak EARNED the starting QB position. Even in defeat to the Packers, Dak's performance as a rookie in the playoffs was epic. But as with Tony in 2014, the defense in 2016 wasted a great QB performance. Dak has all the intangibles you look for in a QB. And he is still young and improving. He had a bad 16 game stretch in the second half of 2017, and the first half of 2018. But the last half of 2018 shows that his rookie year was no fluke. The Cowboys were 7-1 down the stretch last year, and Dak was a big reason why.

Tony proved that no QB can win a championship on his own. But the front office has done a better job this time surrounding their young QB with talent. The future is promising.

I am a huge fan of Tony Romo, AND a big fan of Dak Prescott. And I honestly believe that most Cowboys fans love both players, and are sick and tired of the verbal snipers who try to force us to choose one or the other. I choose BOTH. I refuse to be drawn into the argument of who is better. Tony's time was great for fans, and now it is Dak's time.

One last comment: More than any other NFL team, the Cowboys have enjoyed an extraordinary succession of talented starting quarterbacks. 1 year with poor talent as an expansion team --> Don Meredith --> Craig Morton --> Roger Staubach --> Danny White --> Troy Aikman --> 5 years in the desert --> Tony Romo --> Dak Prescott. In 60 seasons of play, the team has only suffered through 6 seasons of sub-par talent at the most important position on the field. Instead of griping and complaining, we should be thankful. No other team had enjoyed such a succession of talent.

Dak is younger and Tony has a history of injuries. Give me Dak with a TKO of Tones Romes in the early 3rd round. Armbar if I had to guess

glimmerman

Reaction score
Thanks. I am just about fed-up with the people who think that supporting Dak has to mean bashing Romo. Give it a rest. It's a false dichotomy; a logical fallacy.
Yeah I never understood that. I mean there is some that when Romo was our QB never liked him just like there will be some that don’t like Dak the whole time he is here. Why do you have to hate one and not the other or like the other. Or what ever.. Lol. I like both. I wish Romo would come back and play for league minimum and be our back up just to stay in and around the game. Maybe go into coaching. But when your making that much money commentating why bother.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Watching Romo magic was the most enjoyable part of watching the Cowboys from 2006 - 2014. It is a shame the team was never as good as him. Watching old videos of him eluding tackles to get off a pass downfield never gets old, just like watching Emmitt Smith highlights never gets old. Tony only really had two opportunities in his career to get to the Super Bowl - 2007 and 2014. Unfortunately, the team came up short both times - in 2007 because of extraordinarily inept coaching by Wade Phillip's, and in 2014 because of a DeMarco Murray fumble, and a missed field goal.

Well it is true. The Browns might and I say might have their first franchise QB since Bernie Kosar. The Bears other than a couple years of Jim McMahon really haven't had a great QB since Sid Luckman. Cowboy fans have really been spoiled at QB. And although I may seem to get on Romo, my real gripe is with fans who want to trash our HOF QBs in order to make him look better. Tony was a good QB. He was an exciting QB. But I had as many ups as I did downs with him. I just wish he could have won a SB. The FO wasted him. I don't know about Dak yet. I like him. I was all in on him in year one. At the beginning of last year I moved away from him and toward the end I was moving back toward him. I just have to see more. One thing is certain though. He is not as bad as some claim he is ( also not as great as some say he is).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am a Cowboys fan, not a player fan. I go so far to sell myself on players like Sanders, Owens, Hardy, Bryant, Spellman, McClain, Pacman and the other assorted characters this team has had over the years. When it's all about the team and not the players, that gets easier.

I have accepted that Prescott will be the QB1 of the Cowboys and do believe it can get it done with the right help. That right help like a run game showed what that could do for Romo.

It will be with Prescott as it was with Romo, the right, the left and quite a few of us in the middle accepting the QB and his warts. But the war is just beginning and while a thread like this is good to highlight those of us in the middle, it will not stop the war. The main reason being they want to fight.

The one difference in Prescott is that his contract might bring about missing players, players that posters like, and he will be held up to a stronger magnifying glass because of that.

The main thing I do not like about Prescott is his mouth. He needs to shut up and let his agent do the talking. Romo was always quiet when business was being conducted and would have never made the stupid and asinine statement that everyone can get paid if he becomes the 2nd highest paid QB. That was the dumbest thing he's ever said. And no is laughing harder at that stupid statement than the guy in NE with all those rings.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I am a Cowboys fan, not a player fan. I go so far to sell myself on players like Sanders, Owens, Hardy, Bryant, Spellman, McClain, Pacman and the other assorted characters this team has had over the years. When it's all about the team and not the players, that gets easier.

I have accepted that Prescott will be the QB1 of the Cowboys and do believe it can get it done with the right help. That right help like a run game showed what that could do for Romo.

It will be with Prescott as it was with Romo, the right, the left and quite a few of us in the middle accepting the QB and his warts. But the war is just beginning and while a thread like this is good to highlight those of us in the middle, it will not stop the war. The main reason being they want to fight.

The one difference in Prescott is that his contract might bring about missing players, players that posters like, and he will be held up to a stronger magnifying glass because of that.

The main thing I do not like about Prescott is his mouth. He needs to shut up and let his agent do the talking. Romo was always quiet when business was being conducted and would have never made the stupid and asinine statement that everyone can get paid if he becomes the 2nd highest paid QB. That was the dumbest thing he's ever said. And no is laughing harder at that stupid statement than the guy in NE with all those rings.

Cut the kid some slack. He is still younger than Romo, Staubach, or Danny White were when they became starting QB's, and he has 3 years of experience under his belt. I interpret his answer to mean that he wants the best for him AND his teammates. That sentiment will HELP him in the locker room, and the Cowboys brass is smart enough to not take offense. Dak gets paid to play QB, not manager the salary CAP. That is Stephen Jones's job, and he's been doing pretty good for a while now.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I never understood that. I mean there is some that when Romo was our QB never liked him just like there will be some that don’t like Dak the whole time he is here. Why do you have to hate one and not the other or like the other. Or what ever.. Lol. I like both. I wish Romo would come back and play for league minimum and be our back up just to stay in and around the game. Maybe go into coaching. But when your making that much money commentating why bother.
Human nature. That was the original Dakster group, the Romorooters. They were overjoyed when Romo didn't get his job back, made that acceptance speech endorsing their guy and then left the team. They had blamed him for everything wrong with the team.

Now, the shoe is on the other foot and they find themselves in defense mode and playing that "can't we all get along" card. And I am not singling them out, both sides are guilty of taking it too far.

And somewhere in the middle of the melee is us. The ones that realize we do not choose the QB, he is chosen for us and all the offense or defense isn't going to change that. We either accept that guy and try to make the best of it because anything else is just a waste of time. Unless some just need something to argue about.

I wasn't here when he played but I know on DC.com ii got out of control. More posters getting time outs because they couldn't keep from getting into a personal cat fight over a millionaire QB. I am sure he appreciates all those that caught timeouts defending him. But I must admit, it sure was fun to watch them go at it. And, OK, I gotta come clean. Sometimes when I felt it was getting a little too quiet, I might place a time bomb and light the fuse.

And jumbo might have just done that here by taking the middle ground. Blessed are the peace keepers because both sides will turn on them like rabid dogs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have never seen such a collection of fans that hate so much on the team they say they love as on here.
Seems nothing makes any or some of them happy. I know some just to it to stir things up. Some like everything some hate everything.
Quite a few somewhere in the middle.

I liked Romo, but at times wanted him gone, then didn't want him gone.
I liked Dak, then was not so sure, but tried to understand the circumstances too, without Zeke and Smith at LT in 2017.
Last year the 1st half of the season was frustrating, but yet something was missing. At the time it was Dez, but when Cooper got here, then Dez was an afterthought. And then I like Dat again to a degree. Now I want to see his progress this season.

I think he can improve and pull for him to improve, mostly because he is our QB, and seems he will be for quite some time.

Romo was great but often injured, and still made some bone head plays at times, but all QB's do. Dak seems to be sturdy but still needs to improve in some areas. We will see, as it took Tony a good 3 to 4 years to improve on some things as well.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is a good wish to have as a fan but it is extremely unlikely Romo would share it. His desire was playing as the starter for this franchise. That option was erased by the decision makers. He did not wish to compete as the starter elsewhere. He had an enormous interest in broadcasting. He wanted to play more golf competitively. He made goals outside of football and accomplished them all.

As fans, we want what we believe would be best for the team but what would Romo see as best for himself if he made the decision to return? I think the question answers it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That is a good wish to have as a fan but it is extremely unlikely Romo would share it. His desire was playing as the starter for this franchise. That option was erased by the decision makers. He did not wish to compete as the starter elsewhere. He had an enormous interest in broadcasting. He wanted to play more golf competitively. He made goals outside of football and accomplished them all.

As fans, we want what we believe would be best for the team but what would Romo see as best for himself if he made the decision to return? I think the question answers it.
Oh yeah it’s totally a wish. Won’t happen and I don’t blame Romo at all. It would be kool though, I think Romo really helped Dak in his rookie year.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh yeah it’s totally a wish. Won’t happen and I don’t blame Romo at all. It would be kool though, I think Romo really helped Dak in his rookie year.
I believe that is true also. Certainly, Prescott was saying the same thing as so many other rookies have said in the past like "He's the veteran but he is teaching me a lot." I am certain those are not necessarily Prescott's exact words :p That is a matter of truth and respect between players who want to help each other. However, I think we could see visual signs of them working together from the stands or the couch when we saw them on the sidelines. And I think that working relationship made some positive impact on the field for Prescott.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cut the kid some slack. He is still younger than Romo, Staubach, or Danny White were when they became starting QB's, and he has 3 years of experience under his belt. I interpret his answer to mean that he wants the best for him AND his teammates. That sentiment will HELP him in the locker room, and the Cowboys brass is smart enough to not take offense. Dak gets paid to play QB, not manager the salary CAP. That is Stephen Jones's job, and he's been doing pretty good for a while now.
Better to say nothing or look like Flacco did after that stupid comment. They have agents to play the bad guy and better to let some believe he's the greed behind this and not the player. Flacco was a defending SB QB and the negative Q Factor research wasn't about him getting the 20M, it was the comment about not causing the team to lose players because of his contract. Only someone trying to excuse their greed would do that. He dug in for 20 and they had to make room for that. Few teams have the nerve to let a defending SB QB walk.

Don't get me wrong, I do not care about the money and it is his job to rake as much off the table as he can. Just remain silent and don't insult the fans' intelligence that a 34M QB will allow the team to sign everyone. He's trying to excuse his greed and it's not necessary. They're all greedy and could care less about the team.

If he gets that 33-34M contract and that does result in some players getting released, even down the road, the local media will tie that together and he better play at the level he's being paid or he's going to know what Don Meredith felt like and why he hung it up early.

He needs to talk to Rodriguez about the DFW media, they couldn't say or write his name without 252M or 25.2M attached to it and most of that would come when he wasn't doing well.

If it were me, I would look more at the big picture. I would make it known that I was taking less to enable my owner to keep more of my team together and be the anti-greed QB and make more on the endorsements than I lost on the contract. America's Team QB takes less than market value, without the rich wife, for his team. That's the American Way to more riches. He becomes the ultimate good guy in a sea of greed and what greedy CEO wouldn't want that guy endorsing their product?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
STOP

STOP IT! Leave this topic alone. Too many haters of Dak to even make this a fair comparison. Dak has just 3 seasons under his belt compared to Tony's entire career. There is no fair comparison to be made for either player.