Dak Prescott working on deep ball

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Love Dac but should a pro qb be working on this in his 3rd year? Been said before I know, but this still bugs me.

All QB's are constantly working to get better. Tony Romo was tweaking his mechanics right up until the end of his career. There are throws Dak makes very well and those he still needs to work on.

This is nothing new and nothing to be concerned over. Don't be bugged by it. Dak's good. He's got this. We're 32 games into his career.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't see a problem with Dak's deep pass, never have. I have seen him hit several of them in his time here. The problem has always been somebody getting deep to throw to. I've seen him hit Dez on multiple occasions. Unless Zeke is taking off upfield out of the backfield, who the hell else did we have to go deep? We have had a possession pass run offense. So yeah, that's a problem deep.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
its the analytics of the nfl. instead of layups and threes it's bombs and zeke.

It could work. Defenses will load the box to stop Zeke and single cover our receivers. The Cowboys have a bunch of fast guys now and those bombs could lead to a simplistic but very effective offense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
its the analytics of the nfl. instead of layups and threes it's bombs and zeke.

Sadly, the deep ball is really a part of any offense and should be. Of course here in Dallas the dopes dont seem to do a lot of what other offenses do. Rub routes, pick plays, deep balls. Remember how it took Garrett like 6 years just to start using play action passes? LOL

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Seems like Dallas is working on exactly what fans have been (rightly) critical about.

With their running game and the way pass interference is called in the NFL it has been a joke that they haven't taken more shots down the field.

Gotta take advantage of those 1 on 1 situations.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'm hoping he's working on pocket awareness and pressure. Any QB can throw without pressure. Pressure is one of his weak points.

Consistent pressure throughout the whole game, yes. It is a weak point.

Occasional pressure? Not so much an issue.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak can make the deep sideline throws, so if teams are going to stack the box with a single high safety, then absolutely use this to the fullest.

Run both wide receivers deep and throw to the opposite site of where the safety shades.

What I really want to see is deep middle and seam routes. That's where Dak lacks confidence.

He may be able to make these throws in practice but he didn't last year in games. The middle of the field is where defenses played him last year. Way too many teams were able to effectively eliminate the middle and force him into those sideline areas where he is less accurate. The outside throws is where he lacks confidence. He picked teams apart over the middle in 2016.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
It's cute how we're so enamored with the deep ball when we went 13-3 without much of it. Scoring and winning are the keys to success. Who cares how you get there?
You make a great point. I think the main thing as far as throwing deep, is not really slinging it deep every play but being a real threat downfield when you do.
This team finally has enough speed that can burn defenses if they don't respect it, and Dak can make the deep throws well enough, I believe, to open up the underneath stuff where he will gladly take those short passes that move the chains.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
You make a great point. I think the main thing as far as throwing deep, is not really slinging it deep every play but being a real threat downfield when you do.
This team finally has enough speed that can burn defenses if they don't respect it, and Dak can make the deep throws well enough, I believe, to open up the underneath stuff where he will gladly take those short passes that move the chains.

Well I didn't really like the point he made, since I still see 13-3 as being before defenses figured out how to stop us. It happens all the time in the NFL, somebody tries something new and wins, until a counter is developed. As for throwing the deep ball, the reason why we would do it is to keep defenses honest. We want the defense to play all of the field not just 2/3 of it or so.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's cute how we're so enamored with the deep ball when we went 13-3 without much of it. Scoring and winning are the keys to success. Who cares how you get there?
I find it funny we throw it deep about the same rate now as we did in the decade we had Romo, but only became such a hot message board topic since Dak took over.