Dak Prescott working on deep ball

waving monkey

Reaction score
Dak can make the deep sideline throws, so if teams are going to stack the box with a single high safety, then absolutely use this to the fullest.

Run both wide receivers deep and throw to the opposite site of where the safety shades.

What I really want to see is deep middle and seam routes. That's where Dak lacks confidence.
He'll work on those also

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm hoping he's working on pocket awareness and pressure. Any QB can throw without pressure. Pressure is one of his weak points.

Quite to the contrary Dak Prescott has been one of the best in the NFL under pressure. Looks like you missed that article eh?

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Here is the article from BTB earlier in the week. Dak is working on one of his weaknesses since his accuracy is lower on deep routes. Dallas is wanting him to improve on the deep ball. Glad they are doing this as this will help the running game.

A lot in this recap. Worth the read:

Rough day for the tight ends, Dorance Armstrong continues to make plays, DT Antwaun Woods giving Travis Frederick trouble, and much more.
By One.Cool.Customer@OCC44 Aug 14, 2018, 6:30am CDT

Dak Prescott working on accuracy, deep ball - Clarence Hill, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Scott Linehan said part of the focus for the rest of camp is on improving quarterback Dak Prescott’s accuracy and the deep ball, and Hill looks at how the Cowboys are trying to do that.

The Cowboys are placing an increased focus on the deep ball and getting Prescott on the same page with his revamped receivers corps.

There were struggles early in camp because of a lack of chemistry. The Cowboys have more speed at receiver than they have had in years and the quarterbacks were underthrowing them.

“They have gotten better,” Linehan said. “That is why we are practicing them. We are practicing more the timing of our route tree. We got new players, young players. Dak has got to get that extra work with those guys. The whole idea with the deep ball is we want to stretch and get it down the field. That is the way the whole 9 ball concept works. It is not always the bull’s-eye shot or the back shoulder throw. Those are changeups or things you do when people defend and stay on top of receivers.

Dak is working on his deep ball chemistry with his new receivers and new routes. Hes not practicing his deep ball because he is bad at it. LOL

Pretty funny listening to the haters get it all wrong.

In fact, this proves the haters wrong once again. The deep ball was NOT a big part of the passing attack previously. IT wasnt a big part of the scheme and didnt have the receivers for it. NOW we do and its more of a focus for the offense.

Dallas NOT having a lot of deep ball success had nothing to do with Dak as many had claimed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well I didn't really like the point he made, since I still see 13-3 as being before defenses figured out how to stop us. It happens all the time in the NFL, somebody tries something new and wins, until a counter is developed. As for throwing the deep ball, the reason why we would do it is to keep defenses honest. We want the defense to play all of the field not just 2/3 of it or so.
Teams didn't figure out how to stop us until Zeke and Tyson we weren't ther e.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
This is great to hear. This way no one will have excuses for him.

Exactly. Tired of hearing him say “go back to work and work on it. Getting better everyday. Take it one play ata time. Growing. Etc”

Learning and growing time is over son. Play ball or let’s move on

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Exactly. Tired of hearing him say “go back to work and work on it. Getting better everyday. Take it one play ata time. Growing. Etc”

Learning and growing time is over son. Play ball or let’s move on
If you want to be real, then let's do.....
Romo was still "learning and growing" in his 3rd year. If Dak stops learning and growing, you'll be complaining about that. That's being real.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Yep, the deep ball is important to throw once in awhile to keep defenses from cheating if nothing else. Still, the GOAT has made a living with the short to medium range throws and RAC's and won a few SB's doing it. I'll take clock chewing drives that end in a TD any day over the big chunk play. Still, if it's there then QB Dak had better be able to see it and throw it.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Romo was still "learning and growing" in his 3rd year. If Dak stops learning and growing, you'll be complaining about that. That's being real.

Buzz, some guys are just PO'ed that they invested 10 years in you know with nothing to show for it. Dang if Dako wins three playoff games over 10 years that will be one more then you know who. Truth? The same guys who are saying "gotta prove it" after 3 years, gave you know who 7 more after that.

Scotman

Reaction score
Good stuff! Anything they can do to help build a chemistry between Dak and the new receivers is good. I'm still 100% convinced that the drop off last year was due to losing 40% of our offensive line from the year before...and 30% of the young RB's season.

Working on the deep ball not only gives the QB and receivers time to build that chemistry, it's a completely different blocking scheme for the o-line and RB. That chemistry needs to build, too.

As long as Chas Green isn't the one responsible for protecting Dak's backside, I feel good about the deep passes.

blueblood70

Reaction score
ive always wondered is it the QB or the scheme or a product of one effecting the other .. are we not calling more Vertical plays because we 1. dont have the WR and TE that can run those 2. A QB that can throw to them if they got open 3. Scheme just doesnt have a lot of vertical patterns in them??? even with Romo I didnt see a lot of downfield throws the over the top over the shoulder on the run catches..it seem all timing based routes that stop and turn and wait for ball more then just letting it fly..i think its the scheme and weve all been curious on what was the cause, even slants quick off the line stuff while targets are moving, I believe dez should have ran 10 slants agame and some games I might have seen 1 if that, yet he could win 70-80% of those but we seemed to refuse to throw them, why?

Ive got to point to offense itself, ive never liked this old timing hook curl and quick throws to the flats WR screen bs, everyone is always stopping and starting..I believe athletes can create plays in motion and on the fly, hard to catch and tackle moving objects...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Here is the article from BTB earlier in the week. Dak is working on one of his weaknesses since his accuracy is lower on deep routes. Dallas is wanting him to improve on the deep ball. Glad they are doing this as this will help the running game.

A lot in this recap. Worth the read:

Rough day for the tight ends, Dorance Armstrong continues to make plays, DT Antwaun Woods giving Travis Frederick trouble, and much more.
By One.Cool.Customer@OCC44 Aug 14, 2018, 6:30am CDT

Dak Prescott working on accuracy, deep ball - Clarence Hill, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Scott Linehan said part of the focus for the rest of camp is on improving quarterback Dak Prescott’s accuracy and the deep ball, and Hill looks at how the Cowboys are trying to do that.

The Cowboys are placing an increased focus on the deep ball and getting Prescott on the same page with his revamped receivers corps.

There were struggles early in camp because of a lack of chemistry. The Cowboys have more speed at receiver than they have had in years and the quarterbacks were underthrowing them.

“They have gotten better,” Linehan said. “That is why we are practicing them. We are practicing more the timing of our route tree. We got new players, young players. Dak has got to get that extra work with those guys. The whole idea with the deep ball is we want to stretch and get it down the field. That is the way the whole 9 ball concept works. It is not always the bull’s-eye shot or the back shoulder throw. Those are changeups or things you do when people defend and stay on top of receivers.

Again, you dont seem to be able to or want to understand it. Accuracy was not so great because the chemistry was off. Needs to get used to New receivers with more speed. But no doubt you will see it another way.

So now his accuracy on deep balls is great? Soooooo...........it took him two weeks to be an accurate deep ball thrower?

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Dak can throw the deep ball but I noticed that he likes to throw to Dez and Butler when it comes to long passes.

Hopefully he can create some chemistry with Williams because Williams does have the ability to catch deep passes in one on one situations during the Romo era.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score

I wasn’t comparing him to Romo. Never mentioned Romo. All I’m saying is I’m tired of hearing him tell the media what they want to hear.
I agree that the dude is a great guy. A good leader and all that but if he isn’t talented enough, let’s find out. We have the best o-line in the league. The best running back. The receivers he wanted. And finally invested in the defense the last couple years. So no more excuses for the guy. He needs to play better. Everything has been upgraded since he has been here besides the qb.

The first year with him was great. Everybody played back off our receivers so we just pounded the ball on them. And last year defenses used a little common sense and said we better sell out to stop the run and we looked pretty bad. 3 of the weeks were the worst offensive wks in the history of the cowboys. That’s not good.

Now he has all the toys he wants. Still has the best O-Line and RB in the league. Got some talent on D I’m not saying the D is great but it shouldn’t have to be if our offense is any good.

I also say that this season I’m not as worried about the deep ball as I was last year. I don’t think you have to let it fly all that often out of the spread. But you better be accurate and hit guys on the money, in stride. We’ll see.

Personally, I think we will look good some wks and pretty bad other wks. Not consistent. If we go 9-7 or worse, I’d draft another qb and fire the coach and let the new coach decide who plays qb. Mike white and cooper rush aren’t providing any competition. That’s for sure

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I wasn’t comparing him to Romo. Never mentioned Romo. All I’m saying is I’m tired of hearing him tell the media what they want to hear.
I agree that the dude is a great guy. A good leader and all that but if he isn’t talented enough, let’s find out. We have the best o-line in the league. The best running back. The receivers he wanted. And finally invested in the defense the last couple years. So no more excuses for the guy. He needs to play better. Everything has been upgraded since he has been here besides the qb.

The first year with him was great. Everybody played back off our receivers so we just pounded the ball on them. And last year defenses used a little common sense and said we better sell out to stop the run and we looked pretty bad. 3 of the weeks were the worst offensive wks in the history of the cowboys. That’s not good.

Now he has all the toys he wants. Still has the best O-Line and RB in the league. Got some talent on D I’m not saying the D is great but it shouldn’t have to be if our offense is any good.

I also say that this season I’m not as worried about the deep ball as I was last year. I don’t think you have to let it fly all that often out of the spread. But you better be accurate and hit guys on the money, in stride. We’ll see.

Personally, I think we will look good some wks and pretty bad other wks. Not consistent. If we go 9-7 or worse, I’d draft another qb and fire the coach and let the new coach decide who plays qb. Mike white and cooper rush aren’t providing any competition. That’s for sure
I'm not comparing the two QBs, Romo was simply a good example that good QBs keep trying to improve by learning and growing. Anyone who was watching the Cowboys when Romo assumed starting status knows that every year, Romo worked on various things like footwork, etc. trying to improve his game.
If Dak stays long enough, he'll continue working on things just like other QBs. They don't quit working on things by year number 3.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
I'm not comparing the two QBs, Romo was simply a good example that good QBs keep trying to improve by learning and growing. Anyone who was watching the Cowboys when Romo assumed starting status knows that every year, Romo worked on various things like footwork, etc. trying to improve his game.
If Dak stays long enough, he'll continue working on things just like other QBs. They don't quit working on things by year number 3.

He’s gonna have to improve at all that stuff or he’ll be out of the league. Buying time right now. It’s all good to babysit the qbwhen he makes $600k a year but........The real problem lies where we have to pay him $20million a year and with the agent he hired it’s clear he wants some cash. I’d trade dak and next years first round pick for Baker mayfield right now if it was an option but Cleveland isn’t that stupid.

Remember we pay the best o-line to be the best o-line. And they are. And you see what Gurley got. So Zeke is def getting more than that here or he’ll hit the road (which I wouldn’t blame him if we pay the qb more than him) and go somewhere else. So, Dak better step it up is all I’m saying. Ain’t enough cash to go around for everybody.

No excuses. It’s time to figure it out. Take off the dak glasses and put on the cowboy glasses.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
He’s gonna have to improve at all that stuff or he’ll be out of the league. Buying time right now. It’s all good to babysit the qbwhen he makes $600k a year but........The real problem lies where we have to pay him $20million a year and with the agent he hired it’s clear he wants some cash. I’d trade dak and next years first round pick for Baker mayfield right now if it was an option but Cleveland isn’t that stupid.

Remember we pay the best o-line to be the best o-line. And they are. And you see what Gurley got. So Zeke is def getting more than that here or he’ll hit the road (which I wouldn’t blame him if we pay the qb more than him) and go somewhere else. So, Dak better step it up is all I’m saying. Ain’t enough cash to go around for everybody.

No excuses. It’s time to figure it out. Take off the dak glasses and put on the cowboy glasses.

If you're so worried about what the Cowboys pay their QB and what kind of return they get for their money, how much did they pay Romo to win a mere 2 playoff games and never advance beyond the divisional round in 11 years?
As for crying about excuses, Dak doesn't need excuses. If he's got what it takes, he'll be here for a long time, despite his impatient and unreasonable critics. If he doesn't have it, that'll become evident in due time, and you won't have to worry about monster contracts and 11 years to pay for 2 playoff W's again.
SJ isn't going to hand a huge contract to a QB that can't get us there.

Last edited: