Dak said it best regarding Austin

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Sydla

Reaction score
What would you expect the starting QB of the Cowboys to say about his new WR?

"You know what, I like Austin, but he's probably nothing more than a 4th WR type and gadget type player.............."

He's been in the league for 5 years, never once showing anything that would closely resemble the type of player he was projected to be. He's had two different offensive schemes with the Rams, including the last one which by most accounts is a very good system run by a bright young offensive mind.

At this point, it's show me status for Austin for me. Prove it.

Nothing would make me happier and make this team better than if Austin turned into that Top 10 WR that he was projected to be 5 years ago.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...tavon-austin-becomes-a-complete-receiver/amp/

He is not just a gadget player.

I honestly don't believe the rams gave Austin a fair chance to be the complete player he is and I believe they will regret letting him come to Dallas.

Everyone has always been enamoured by his potential. And I am sure he looks great in shorts and in practice where they arent tackling. Lets see how he does when guys are trying to take his head off and hammering him over the middle all game. Fumbling has been an issue. Staying healthy has been an issue. He would have to change his fortunes there.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

"You know what, I like Austin, but he's probably nothing more than a 4th WR type and gadget type player.............."

The Hater alarm has sound loudly. I knew you would climb from under one of your many rock lying around.

Like a mosquito drawn to light!

Doomsday101

Reaction score

He's been in the league for 5 years, never once showing anything that would closely resemble the type of player he was projected to be. He's had two different offensive schemes with the Rams, including the last one which by most accounts is a very good system run by a bright young offensive mind.

At this point, it's show me status for Austin for me. Prove it.

Nothing would make me happier and make this team better than if Austin turned into that Top 10 WR that he was projected to be 5 years ago.

I have high hopes for Austin but sure he has to prove himself, even the organization is taking that stand, after all he is a FA after this season. His deal with the Cowboys is a team friendly deal and Austin will have to prove himself if he hopes to get a longer term deal with Dallas

Sydla

Reaction score
The Hater alarm has sound loudly. I knew you would climb from under one of your many rock lying around.

Like a mosquito drawn to light!

The lame response is always the "you are a hater". It takes little intellect to use that dumb line as a rebuttal.

It's not hate. It's reality. He's done pretty much nothing in 5 years, certainly never living up to the hype. The odds are that he will never become the player he was envisioned to be when taken in the Top 10. Does it mean he can't? Of course not. Anything is possible. But should one just expect he's now going to turn into a stud because he's now in Dallas? Of course not.

The proper way to view Austin is simply just hope he's a productive player that makes a couple of big plays for us this year. For what we got him for, that's would be a big win. I don't need him to be a superstar WR for us. I just need him to be a good one and productive.

If he turns out to be a surprise and be even better than good, but actually a great WR for us? That would be downright awesome.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have high hopes for Austin but sure he has to prove himself, even the organization is taking that stand, after all he is a FA after this season. His deal with the Cowboys is a team friendly deal and Austin will have to prove himself if he hopes to get a longer term deal with Dallas

There's no downside here. I was on board with getting him when it was rumored he was possibly on the outs the with Rams.

All I am saying is this chatter that WR isn't a problem because Austin is a stud freed from the shackles of the Rams ready to blossom in Dallas is a bit premature at this point.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I hope Scott Linehan sees it that way too. We have a chance to be very explosive if we keep the powder dry, and Scott is in charge of climate control.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There's no downside here. I was on board with getting him when it was rumored he was possibly on the outs the with Rams.

All I am saying is this chatter that WR isn't a problem because Austin is a stud freed from the shackles of the Rams ready to blossom in Dallas is a bit premature at this point.

I know Austin himself has been critical of how the Rams and Jeff Fisher used him. In the end for me all I care about is what he does in Dallas. I think the guy has the desired speed and big play ability but I think he has to show he is more than a gadget player. I do expect to see him lined up at times in the back field to force mismatches with LB's but I also expect him to lineup on the outside at times and he will need to show consistent play

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The rams treating him more of a RB was one of the dumbest things they could have done when it comes to someone his size.

He is not built to take that kind of a pounding. I believe that contributed some.

Yeah possibly Soup. I mean the big guys get hurt too but there just aren't that many Edemans in the NFL and I assume there is a reason for that. Yah, he wouldn't last long as a RB at that size. He's been in the NFL 5 years and as of yet has showed little. Do I think he'd gonna be the 3'rd WR in a package with Hurns and Gallup, no. That's Bease. Do I think he'll get more meaningful and plays called for him than Switzer, yes. I'm not buying the Austin cheese just yet tho

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I view Austin much like Mo Claiborne.
Both guys who were overdrafted and needed fresh starts but undoubtedly have NFL skillsets.
The fact Austin is NOT expected to be Wr1 or Wr2 here frees him up.
Less snaps, more explosive plays and less injury chance.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
The lame response is always the "you are a hater". It takes little intellect to use that dumb line as a rebuttal.

It's not hate. It's reality. He's done pretty much nothing in 5 years, certainly never living up to the hype. The odds are that he will never become the player he was envisioned to be when taken in the Top 10. Does it mean he can't? Of course not. Anything is possible. But should one just expect he's now going to turn into a stud because he's now in Dallas? Of course not.

The proper way to view Austin is simply just hope he's a productive player that makes a couple of big plays for us this year. For what we got him for, that's would be a big win. I don't need him to be a superstar WR for us. I just need him to be a good one and productive.

If he turns out to be a surprise and be even better than good, but actually a great WR for us? That would be downright awesome.

I use hater when I see hater things! And what you are doing now in this thread is a hater thing.

You don't need Austin to be a superstar because it would make you look the opposite of smart.

I love the fact that you will always lose your cool when you see a thread related to a player you dispise deep down.

I will not go back and forth with you like last time because I know your purpose in threads like this.

You can't stay away from such temptation even when you know you are supposed to!!!

Enjoy the article

Sydla

Reaction score
I use hater when I see hater things! And what you are doing now in this thread is a hater thing.

You don't need Austin to be a superstar because it would make you look the opposite of smart.

I love the fact that you will always lose your cool when you see a thread related to a player you dispise deep down.

I will not go back and forth with you like last time because I know your purpose in threads like this.

You can't stay away from such temptation even when you know you are supposed to!!!

Enjoy the article

Nah you use "hater" when you realize you can't actually debate the merits. So then people resort to calling people haters or big meanies.

LOL, now I despise Austin?

You are on another planet. It's hilarious.

What's also funny is that I am more likely to be content with what he does in Dallas because I've set a lower bar for him to clear in order for him to productive for us. You've basically set the bar at, "he's gonna be a stud!"

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Yeah possibly Soup. I mean the big guys get hurt too but there just aren't that many Edemans in the NFL and I assume there is a reason for that. Yah, he wouldn't last long as a RB at that size. He's been in the NFL 5 years and as of yet has showed little. Do I think he'd gonna be the 3'rd WR in a package with Hurns and Gallup, no. That's Bease. Do I think he'll get more meaningful and plays called for him than Switzer, yes. I'm not buying the Austin cheese just yet tho

Well if the cowboys use less of the TE this year then Austin may get those snaps too. TE not looking so great right now.

We couldn't tell a stickup guy who was the most complete if he had a gun to our head lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The kid has a fixation. It's "All Tavon All the Time". The guy is a Pro Bowl caliber weapon and a complete stud that's been held back his entire career. Undermined by the shackles of inept coaching, even from the best offensive coordinator in the game and the guy that took the Rams offense from worst to first.

That's all somebody wants to hear. Any questioning of that agenda is "hating". As I've mentioned before - irrational.

We all hope the guy does a great job and produces more than he ever has. But it's no crime to be skeptical after 5-plus years of evidence showing otherwise.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know Austin himself has been critical of how the Rams and Jeff Fisher used him. In the end for me all I care about is what he does in Dallas. I think the guy has the desired speed and big play ability but I think he has to show he is more than a gadget player. I do expect to see him lined up at times in the back field to force mismatches with LB's but I also expect him to lineup on the outside at times and he will need to show consistent play

Better watch out! You'll get name-called as a "hater"!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Better watch out! You'll get name-called as a "hater"!

Been called worst things. At this sight I have been called a homer, kool aid drinker, hater a joker, a smoker a midnight toker. Makes no difference to me. I like Dallas getting Austin on this 1 year deal and if the Cowboys can get him playing to the level many felt he was capable of then he has a chance to get a good deal next year. Ball is in his court and I'm pulling for him