Dak said it best regarding Austin

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry I don't recall that, I recall anytime this team has produced we have many who will give credit to Rowdy over Garrett and Linehan. Rams got Gurley back and they produced add to that the defense produced turnover which gives offense more possession to have success.

Defense doesn't take an offense from worst to best.

Austin felt he was not used to his full potential and I guess we will soon find out if he was right or just sour grapes on his part

I'm not saying it's sour grapes, and we all hope he's right. I just know that it's stupid to blame his 5 years of shortcomings on McVay.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
When you hold one to a higher standard and sit there drooling over the other is comes off as a joke.
"Watching the Real Sports segment on Sean McVay really made me angry about our coaching situation. Theyve got a genius. We got clapper and a 90 year old."

So where was the adjustment being made by McVay? His offense could only generate 13 points? Had that happened in Dallas you guys would be going bat **** crazy hollering about how our coaches do not know how to adjust well hold the same fire under McVay after all a genius should be able to muster up more than 13 points

What are you talking about?

Hold one what to a higher standard? Drooling over the other what? Can you please stick to the topic of the posts and not go off on some crazy tangents?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Defense doesn't take an offense from worst to best.

I'm not saying it's sour grapes, and we all hope he's right. I just know that it's stupid to blame his 5 years of shortcomings on McVay.

Defense putting the ball in the ands of the offense does a lot in terms of offensive production.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because a coach leans on a players talents to get by doesn't make them a genius.

Utilizing your players to maximum success does. And nothing illustrates that genius better than taking an offense from the worst to the best in one year. That productivity speaks for itself. As does Austin's 5 years.

And the rams leaned heavily on Gurley running and passing wise. It funny how Garrett never received the same praise while zeke carried the offense on his back but McVay is just the offensive mastermind.

in fact I believe McVay would be average at best without a great RB.

Of course you do. Because his success shoots an undeniable hole in your claim that McVay somehow "held Austin back".

Sydla

Reaction score
Putting aside the Austin thing.

If you had a choice between McVay and Garrett, right now, to lead your team............ the decision would seem to be pretty obvious.

But we'll see how it plays out this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Defense putting the ball in the ands of the offense does a lot in terms of offensive production.

Not best to worst it doesn't. You know it and I know it.

Why is it so hard for you to give McVay credit where it's clearly due?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no issue with McVay, He has a great talent in Gurley and used him that was the center piece of their offense, passing game consisted with a lot of dink and dunk passes sound familiar? Here that offensive approach is mocked yet with LA it is cheered?

Sydla

Reaction score
Not best to worst it doesn't. You know it and I know it.

Why is it so hard for you to give McVay credit where it's clearly due?

It seems to be a common theme for those that are still digging in on Garrett. They can no longer base their arguments on the merits of Garrett's tenure as more seasons unfold with limited success. So now, they have to undercut the successful coaches to try to put Garrett on par with those guys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It seems to be a common theme for those that are still digging in on Garrett. They can no longer base their arguments on the merits of Garrett's tenure as more seasons unfold with limited success. So now, they have to undercut the successful coaches to try to put Garrett on par with those guys.

What exactly as McVay won? If Dallas fires Garrett tomorrow I will not lose any sleep over it I do find it entertaining how the same offensive approach can be lauded on one hand and despised on the other. Garrett has had offenses as well that were raked with in the top 5 in the NFL

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They can try, but the only people their obvious attempts are fooling are themselves.

It reminds me of a child who can't stand to see another child get any attention or credit.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have no issue with McVay, He has a great talent in Gurley and used him that was the center piece of their offense, passing game consisted with a lot of dink and dunk passes sound familiar? Here that offensive approach is mocked yet with LA it is cheered?

This dink and dunk criticism doesn't seem to necessarily hold up against stats.

For example, the Rams were 7th in the league in yards per pass attempt. And Goff finished around middle of the pack in air yards per attempt (Prescott finished 3 spots higher than him). Neither would indicate dink or dunk.

_sturt_

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...tavon-austin-becomes-a-complete-receiver/amp/

He is not just a gadget player.

I honestly don't believe the rams gave Austin a fair chance to be the complete player he is and I believe they will regret letting him come to Dallas.

He's got to cure the fumble-itis blues if he's going to be the complete player we want him to be.

And if anything, I'd say there will be even less patience here if he continues to be that player than there was with the Rams.

I mean, truly, he could fumble 3x in preseason games, and I think he could still in that event find himself on the bubble if Thompson steps up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They can try, but the only people their obvious attempts are fooling are themselves.

It reminds me of a child who can't stand to see another child get any attention or credit.

Yeah that is what it is. lol

Sydla

Reaction score
What exactly as McVay won? If Dallas fires Garrett tomorrow I will not lose any sleep over it I do find it entertaining how the same offensive approach can be lauded on one hand and despised on the other. Garrett has had offenses as well that were raked with in the top 5 in the NFL

McVay turned an entire franchise around in a year. Pederson won a SB in his second year in Philly after Kelly pretty much tried to run them aground with bizarre decision making.

And to say the Rams and Cowboys offensive philosophies are similar is just wrong as well.

stash is right......... you seem to struggle with admitting that McVay did a fantastic job in LA.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This dink and dunk criticism doesn't seem to necessarily hold up against stats.

For example, the Rams were 7th in the league in yards per pass attempt. And Goff finished around middle of the pack in air yards per attempt (Prescott finished 3 spots higher than him). Neither would indicate dink or dunk.

no WR with a thousand yards and leading receiver in terms of catches is the RB and under 4,000 yards passing which I believe has been used as a knock on Dak. Would not call that air Coryell style of offense.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
My understanding is that Austin was hurt all the way through the first training camp with McVay’s new offense, missing the entire preseason install.

Then McVay, like just about any other coach, pretty much went with the guys who had practiced all PS long in his scheme. Guys who miss all of training camp usually don’t play much, although I’m sure there are examples.

When the offense started running so well... there was no reason to change anything up.

If that’s the case (and I could be wrong about that) then it’s no surprise that Austin kind of became the forgotten man in that system.

Now I agree that Tayvon hasn’t lived up to his draft slot in the NFL, and I’m not saying anything as rash as that he’s going to light it up in Dallas... but to me, saying that McVay couldn’t find a way to use him seems a little disingenuous.

Maybe that McVay didn’t need him is more accurate.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My understanding is that Austin was hurt all the way through the first training camp with McVay’s new offense, missing the entire preseason install.

Then McVay, like just about any other coach, pretty much went with the guys who had practiced all PS long in his scheme. Guys who miss all of training camp usually don’t play much, although I’m sure there are examples.

When the offense started running so well... there was no reason to change anything up.

If that’s the case (and I could be wrong about that) then it’s no surprise that Austin kind of became the forgotten man in that system.

Now I agree that Tayvon hasn’t lived up to his draft slot in the NFL, and I’m not saying anything as rash as that he’s going to light it up in Dallas... but to me, saying that McVay couldn’t find a way to use him seems a little disingenuous.

Maybe that McVay didn’t need him is more accurate.

Better watch out giving these rational takes, they'll come for you!
:omg:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
McVay turned an entire franchise around in a year. Pederson won a SB in his second year in Philly after Kelly pretty much tried to run them aground with bizarre decision making.

And to say the Rams and Cowboys offensive philosophies are similar is just wrong as well.

stash is right......... you seem to struggle with admitting that McVay did a fantastic job in LA.

Have no issue with it at all, Linehan came to Dallas in 2014 Romo best season and a trip to post season but we lost just as the Rams lost. I don't see you saying how McVay did a crappy job of adjusting his offense vs Alt in post season and looked like crap in that game. I'm sorry if being critical is hard for you to handle but you don't seem to have an issue being as critical with this team. It is pretty funny watching people defend other teams failures had Dallas done that again there would be no excuse no mercy.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
The rams treating him more of a RB was one of the dumbest things they could have done when it comes to someone his size.

He is not built to take that kind of a pounding. I believe that contributed some.

They only did that after he failed as a WR. They were trying things desperate not to admit they drafted a bust.