Dak, Time to Release, and Air Yards

Dre11

Reaction score
Funny how when the stats show Dak in a positive light, it's "proof to the haters", but when they don't, it's "bashing".

Another hater on the prowl, guess what , that throwing jump thrower is up for an award this week...lol

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
In general, I agree.

But if I'm nitpicking, QBs who get rid of the ball quickly get rid of the variables. Drew Brees is great not because of his arm talent, but because he knows where he is going with the football before the snap. Because of that, there are no post-snap variables that make him hold the football, and he knows when a play is lost quickly. Same thing Brady and Peyton always did. Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and Romo were similar, but had the mindset to keep a play going after it was "lost," which can result in sacks and turnovers. That's why Brees struggled against Dallas when WRs couldn't win against man, and guys like Mariota can torch this defense.
The Saints passing game is based on the short pass, not dump offs but planned short passes. It was important to stuff those short passes and not allow YAC and force him into longer down/distance that allows our pass rush to affect him. Their system is very dependent on players getting YAC. It's like an extension of their run game. If they can establish that then he can pick and choose when he wants to take deeper shots. Like most other QBs, especially pocket QBs, when you force them have to try to make deeper throws they make mistakes or bad throws.

Vandyr

Reaction score
I didn't quote anything you posted, so I'm not sure what you're ranting about. If you had any sort of clue, you would also know I'm not sensitive at all. And, you missed my point I was making.
Maybe next time read the entire conversation before jumping in thinking you're some badass.

You know exactly what you said and what I responded to :rolleyes:

But to expound on it a bit:

I'm one that thinks Dak has potential, more so after his fourth quarter performance against the Eagles. But no one is allowed to criticize Dak here, and I have become somewhat more of a "hater" due to being called one every time I say something critical of Dak. Homers are much worse than anyone else here, and the constant need for positive reinforcement here is a little baffling. It shouldn't be required.

Dre11

Reaction score
I think it’s fair to say that Dak is still developing.

The truth is. Dak was a major project QB coming out of college. Many thought that for him to have a chance, he needed years of development.

His rookie season changed expectations. But Dak has a lot of aspects of his game that need growth and maturation.

That’s the biggest disconnect between Dak detractors and Dak believers I think.

Dak detractors think that his shortcomings are things that cannot be improved or won’t be improved.

I actually think his weaknesses are things that can be improved with hard work and experience. Although there’s never a guarantee how much they will improve for any given player.

This in a nutshell

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Another hater on the prowl, guess what , that throwing jump thrower is up for an award this week...lol
There you go, calling me a hater, when I'm not. Someone who sees the good and bad isn't a hater. Someone who only sees the good is delusional.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You know exactly what you said and what I responded to :rolleyes:

But to expound on it a bit:

I'm one that thinks Dak has potential, more so after his fourth quarter performance against the Eagles. But no one is allowed to criticize Dak here, and I have become somewhat more of a "hater" due to being called one every time I say something critical of Dak. Homers are much worse than anyone else here, and the constant need for positive reinforcement here is a little baffling. It shouldn't be required.
You don't even get that you don't get it. If you were paying any sort of attention you wouldn't have even responded. You took my post out of context, and you still are.
The funny thing is you're whining about your assumption of someone whining, lmao.

Dre11

Reaction score
There you go, calling me a hater, when I'm not. Someone who sees the good and bad isn't a hater. Someone who only sees the good is delusional.

You are, and I'm not the only one who sees it, you're in every thread that bashes Dak, defending the basher....lol

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is exactly the issue I have. I've been called a homer and the most colorful, Dak slobberer if I post things positive. So it's the opposite for you, but it's the same level of ignorant.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
15 QBs With Longest Time to Release and Average Intended Air Yards (AIAY):

J. Allen - 3.28, 11.1
D. Watson - 3.03, 8.7
R. Wilson - 3.0, 9.2
J Goff - 2.97, 8.9
A. Rodgers - 2.93, 8.8
P. Mahomes - 2.9, 9.2
S. Darnold - 2.88, 8.8
D. Prescott - 2.87, 7.6
B. Mayfield - 2.83, 9.0
B. Bortles - 2.79, 6.9
A. Smith - 2.78, 8.1
B. Osweiler - 2.78, 7.7
J. Rosen - 2.76, 8.3
J. Winston - 2.75, 10.8
J. Flacco - 2.71, 8.4

This is greatly indicative of how fast quarterbacks are able to decipher and throw the ball down the field. Some is a bit skewed by scrambling due to OL. Of those who hold the ball a long time, Dak's closest peers are Blake Bortles and Brock Osweiler.

10 QBs closest to Dak AIAY:

A. Smith - 2.78, 8.1
P. Rivers - 2.64, 7.9
C. Wentz - 2.66, 7.8
B. Osweiler - 2.78, 7.7
M. Mariota - 2.65, 7.7
D. Prescott - 2.87, 7.6
T. Brady - 2.58, 7.5
C Keenum - 2.68, 7.5
B. Roethlisberger - 2.54, 7.5
A. Luck - 2.63, 7.4
C. Newton - 2.63, 7.4

Of his peers who throw the ball downfield at the same rate, Dak is, by far, the slowest to release the ball. He doesn't even have any peers in his group.

This is why so many of the stats comparing Dak's passing to, really anybody, are disingenuous. A pass of the same distance is not the same if it takes .25 seconds longer to get there. That is an eternity in the NFL.

There are a whole bunch of trends to come from this type of data set, but at the end of the day, it's a pretty clear representation that Dak struggles to progress through his reads quickly and deliver the ball down the field. It is also why Cooper is the absolutely perfect receiver for Dak...in single-high, he just has to start at Amari until he's open.
Stick to intramurals....lol

Dre11

Reaction score
This is exactly the issue I have. I've been called a homer and the most colorful, Dak slobberer if I post things positive. So it's the opposite for you, but it's the same level of ignorant.

Except the haters are over the top.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
"I think maybe I'll install a footer that states: I support the current roster, Including Prescott. He needs to improve, but I like how he plays and his evolution. If he doesn't get better we need to look to get a better option, but I'm patient enough to see if he develops."

Unfortunately, that's not even enough.

InTheZone

Reaction score
15 QBs With Longest Time to Release and Average Intended Air Yards (AIAY):

J. Allen - 3.28, 11.1
D. Watson - 3.03, 8.7
R. Wilson - 3.0, 9.2
J Goff - 2.97, 8.9
A. Rodgers - 2.93, 8.8
P. Mahomes - 2.9, 9.2
S. Darnold - 2.88, 8.8
D. Prescott - 2.87, 7.6
B. Mayfield - 2.83, 9.0
B. Bortles - 2.79, 6.9
A. Smith - 2.78, 8.1
B. Osweiler - 2.78, 7.7
J. Rosen - 2.76, 8.3
J. Winston - 2.75, 10.8
J. Flacco - 2.71, 8.4

This is greatly indicative of how fast quarterbacks are able to decipher and throw the ball down the field. Some is a bit skewed by scrambling due to OL. Of those who hold the ball a long time, Dak's closest peers are Blake Bortles and Brock Osweiler.

10 QBs closest to Dak AIAY:

A. Smith - 2.78, 8.1
P. Rivers - 2.64, 7.9
C. Wentz - 2.66, 7.8
B. Osweiler - 2.78, 7.7
M. Mariota - 2.65, 7.7
D. Prescott - 2.87, 7.6
T. Brady - 2.58, 7.5
C Keenum - 2.68, 7.5
B. Roethlisberger - 2.54, 7.5
A. Luck - 2.63, 7.4
C. Newton - 2.63, 7.4

Of his peers who throw the ball downfield at the same rate, Dak is, by far, the slowest to release the ball. He doesn't even have any peers in his group.

This is why so many of the stats comparing Dak's passing to, really anybody, are disingenuous. A pass of the same distance is not the same if it takes .25 seconds longer to get there. That is an eternity in the NFL.

There are a whole bunch of trends to come from this type of data set, but at the end of the day, it's a pretty clear representation that Dak struggles to progress through his reads quickly and deliver the ball down the field. It is also why Cooper is the absolutely perfect receiver for Dak...in single-high, he just has to start at Amari until he's open.
should have a like from everyone that liked those other Prop Up Dak Threads

Vandyr

Reaction score
You don't even get that you don't get it. If you were paying any sort of attention you wouldn't have even responded. You took my post out of context, and you still are.
The funny thing is you're whining about your assumption of someone whining, lmao.

How ironic.