Dak vs Rodgers Game Winning Drives

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems he’s not really clutch. And it’s not for lack of attempts either:

Rodgers has had 42 opportunities to stage a fourth-quarter comeback, and has found success in 12 of them, a 28.6 percent win rate, which ranks 54th out of 84 qualifying QBs. He’s far behind most of his peers: Andrew Luck has the highest such conversion percentage, at 52 percent, though Tom Brady’s 51.5 percent may be more impressive given his larger sample size. Peyton Manning sits at 48.9 percent, Tony Romo is at 47.1, and Ben Roethlisberger is at 42.6. Longtime fellow NFC North quarterbacks Matthew Stafford and Jay Cutler are at 40 percent and 41.8 percent, respectively. Even Jake Delhomme, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, and Tim freaking Couch crack 40 percent.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/11/17846226/aaron-rodgers-comebacks-green-bay-packers

Then there is this table:

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...ter_comebackgamewinning_drive/#ampf=undefined

And yup, you see he gets opportunities, but just can’t do it.

We’ve seen him be clutch against us. It’s frustrating, and not comforting at all to realize we make up a fraction of the times he has done it and its more of an aberration than anything, but it’s there. He’s just not clutch like one would think he is.

The Packers should have won way more games since Rodgers has been the QB is he is as great as many people claim.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Does he do all he can do for the whole game, or does he turn it on in the last quarter?

Though I agree with you about the "clutch" thing, I still don't see how him turning it up in the 4th Quarter is a bad thing. If he can still come back and win (and in many cases we do. If we lose, we are usually only down by a field goal or score), why does it matter when exactly he turns it up or turns "clutch"? There are 4 Q's for a reason. If Dak decides to throw 2 TD's to win the game in under 3 minutes, so be it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
at the current pace through his first three seasons, Dak Prescott is poised to pass Aaron Rodgers in career game winning drives at some point during next season(his fourth). Rodgers has been in the league since 2005.

The dog in your Avatar looks a lot like one of my dogs. It's funny because mine wears a hoodie 24/7.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Though I agree with you about the "clutch" thing, I still don't see how him turning it up in the 4th Quarter is a bad thing. If he can still come back and win (and in many cases we do. If we lose, we are usually only down by a field goal or score), why does it matter when exactly he turns it up or turns "clutch"? There are 4 Q's for a reason. If Dak decides to throw 2 TD's to win the game in under 3 minutes, so be it.
Like you said, there are four quarters for a reason. Turning it on in the fourth means it was off in the first three. That's not clutch.

If the defense allows the other team to score in those 3 quarters, then what?

I like Dak, and truly hope Kitna and Moore can help him find his mojo, but coming back at the end of the game, thanks to the defense not letting the game get away isn't what I call clutch.

To me, clutch is being in the whole game, no matter what the other team does. Even if they have a QB who tries to come back in the fourth.

The occasional game winning drive is one thing. Making that the norm is just not being good in the first three quarters.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So try using your brain and think about what that actually might mean about game winning drives.
Also try looking up what a game winning drive is, you and the majority of the Dak slobberers on this board don’t seem to understand what they are.
So what are the criteria?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dak is on pace with Rodgers with "game winning drives" against teams with losing records or don't make the playoffs.

Rodgers used to get a lot of praise for "comebacks", until the report came out that he's like 2-40 against teams with winning records when trailing by more than one in the 4th quarter.

Again, context matters. Dak outside of a game or two this season, was not very good against playoff teams.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Does he do all he can do for the whole game, or does he turn it on in the last quarter?

How many times do you think before the game, "We're not going to lose this game, no way...because we have Dak!"
Every game.

Insomniac

Reaction score
Largely agree.

It's only really worth noting when a QB plays/played on a team with a poor offensive line/weak defense.

Impressive stats from Romo as he mostly had to contend with both including one of the historically worst defenses to have ever played in the league.

Regarding Brady, well the style of coaching by Belichick has kept a lot of games close, perhaps trusting Brady to get it done on the last drive given his high level of efficiency.

Whereas Rodgers will have blown out teams and often been let down by a poor defense.

Since 2001 the Patriots have the fewest games decided by 8 or fewer points with the best win%. http://pfref.com/tiny/QW0Ye They also have the most wins by >8 points and the fewest losses.

Insomniac

Reaction score
I think we need a universal definition for "clutch".

To me, it means someone who doesn't get rattled and does all he can do for his part, to win a game. It means you can count on him to lead the team to victory, and you never feel like you're going to lose a game before it even starts.

It doesn't mean falling behind in the first half because he doesn't turn it on until the second half.

I'd don't believe that it's really possible to statistically define "clutch". It's something fans want to believe in because they think it shows superiority of character.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
So what are the criteria?
Simply put it is the drive that puts the winning team ahead for the last time, confined to the fourth quarter or overtime.
QB goes 8-8 on a drive ending with a 12 yard, game winning TD pass with 7 seconds left? Game winning drive.
QB hands off on the first play of the fourth quarter to the running back who runs for a 75 yard touchdown with 14:45 left that ends up being the final score of the game? Also a game winning drive.
In isolation the GWD says zero about the QBs performance. The QB can have everything, or nothing, to do with it.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I know I'm tilting at windmills here, but it's crazy how people can only talk about Dak in these bizarre extremes of either being equivalent to future Hall of Famers, or a like quadriplegic lobotomy patient that's just flopping around out there. It's just completely insane. The truth isn't always in the middle, but it sure isn't any of that crap either. It's like how Romo chat always at some point disintegrates into people wondering about his Hall of Fame chances vs. people who hate him more than Josef Mengele because of that one time he was a bad holder on a field goal attempt.

There just seems to be this bizarre thing in Cowboys fandom where there are only two kinds of quarterbacks, Hall of Famers and bums, and the quarterback decides everything that happens to the team. This is a completely psychotic way of looking at things. Not being Staubach doesn't make you Ryan Leaf.

JayFord

Reaction score
Yeaaahhhhh dak isn’t on that level just yet idc what the comeback numbers say

Aaron has had bigger game defining comebacks

JBS

Reaction score
It seems he’s not really clutch. And it’s not for lack of attempts either:

Rodgers has had 42 opportunities to stage a fourth-quarter comeback, and has found success in 12 of them, a 28.6 percent win rate, which ranks 54th out of 84 qualifying QBs. He’s far behind most of his peers: Andrew Luck has the highest such conversion percentage, at 52 percent, though Tom Brady’s 51.5 percent may be more impressive given his larger sample size. Peyton Manning sits at 48.9 percent, Tony Romo is at 47.1, and Ben Roethlisberger is at 42.6. Longtime fellow NFC North quarterbacks Matthew Stafford and Jay Cutler are at 40 percent and 41.8 percent, respectively. Even Jake Delhomme, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, and Tim freaking Couch crack 40 percent.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/11/17846226/aaron-rodgers-comebacks-green-bay-packers

Then there is this table:

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...ter_comebackgamewinning_drive/#ampf=undefined

And yup, you see he gets opportunities, but just can’t do it.

We’ve seen him be clutch against us. It’s frustrating, and not comforting at all to realize we make up a fraction of the times he has done it and its more of an aberration than anything, but it’s there. He’s just not clutch like one would think he is.

What's Daks comeback %?