Dak vs. Romo - Deep passing

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The first three I listed did not fit the bill of just “one down year” as you claimed.

Peyton Manning’s completion percentages:
57%
62%
62%
62%

Then a jump to 66-67% where he stayed for many years.

Matt stafford:
53%
59%
63%
59%
58%

Etc.

But now the last 3 years his completion percentage has increased to 65% or above for the past 3 season.

Matt Ryan:

61%
58%
62%
61%
68%
67%
66%

Another QB whose % jumped several points after his 4th year in the league.... again like I said. And In no way does he fall under the category of “one down year”

All of the first 3 QB’s I listed saw a jump of 3-4% points in their completion percentages after several years in the league.

Someone still doesn't understand the difference between data and anecdotes.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
2016 @NYG and most of the games when he was missing Tyron this year. Falcons (understandable), Eagles first game, Chargers...
I don't consider a QB who is under significant pressure as "panicking." It's unrealistic to assume. And just claiming that he did in all these games isn't giving examples.

Gator88

Reaction score
I don't consider a QB who is under significant pressure as "panicking." It's unrealistic to assume. And just claiming that he did in all these games isn't giving examples.
I don't have specific examples, but he underperforms compared to other quarterbacks in games where he is under a lot of pressure even when there isn't pressure on plays. I don't know a better way to describe it, other than panicking.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't have specific examples, but he underperforms compared to other quarterbacks in games where he is under a lot of pressure even when there isn't pressure on plays. I don't know a better way to describe it, other than panicking.

Nearly every player who comes into the NFL says they have to get used to the "speed of the pro game". The longer it takes him to recognize coverages and blitzes, e.g. the less time he has to act on what he sees.

Le'ts say it is panic. Doesn't mean he can't get out of that stage, and I think he will...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So you don't have any specific and factual examples or evidence. Got it.
Look, I'm fine with being critical, but you aren't being fair.
For example, arguably the greatest QB in the NFL struggles under pressure. I would try to base it on facts. Which you just said you have none of. Seems like you just want to bash Dak.

HungryLion

Reaction score
People keep sticking their heads in the sand on logical analyses. Dak's accuracy wains when his footwork goes south. He is accurate enough when his mechanics are good.

It's not that Dak needs to learn accuracy, it's that he needs to stop doing the things that make his accuracy go south. Huge difference between having accuracy issues and simply being inaccurate. Dak is the former.

I agree.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Someone still doesn't understand the difference between data and anecdotes.

We are fans talking on a message board. We aren’t scientists, nor are we professionals hired by the team to track data on players when evaluating them. All any of us have are anecdotes.

Somebody seems to have a complex about making themselves feel superior to others.

I also noticed how you ignored the part showing your initial retort about the 3 QB’s listed was inaccurate.

Gator88

Reaction score
So you don't have any specific and factual examples or evidence. Got it.
Look, I'm fine with being critical, but you aren't being fair.
For example, arguably the greatest QB in the NFL struggles under pressure. I would try to base it on facts. Which you just said you have none of. Seems like you just want to bash Dak.
It's not that he struggles when pressured because you are right, every single QB struggles when pressured. Percy posted the stats of how Dak struggles without pressure as long as the rest of the game has enough pressure, which lines up with my eye test of struggling when everything isn't perfect around him. The oline will hopefully be good enough for most of the games, but that just isn't going to happen against the really good defenses which combined with the coaches not adjusting is why the Cowboys have struggled so mightily in those games.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
he just "glitches" out. Has little to no pocket presence, and has awful footwork. So why hasn't every bad QB that has come into the league paid to have a QB "guru" fix their problems. Heck why wasn't they fixed in HS, or college. just wondering if fixing these issue are easy.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I'm not talking about highlight and low light reels either. I'm talking about samples of a hundred or more throws.

It doesn't matter how many clips there are, it's still just a highlight or lowlight reel. There's absolutely no context of comparison, unlike statistical metrics.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
It appears Cowboys fans have become fascinated with deep passing since Dak took over as QB. I have compiled the career totals for Dak and Romo using data obtained on ESPN under "Splits" for each QB. It will list the passing stats based upon distance thrown. Here is what the breakdown looks like for the 2 QBs showing the % of total passes thrown for each distance followed by the completion % at each distance.

Romo
Behind LOS - 15.5% of total passes; 79.2% completion percentage
1-10 yards - 51.8% of total passes; 71.5% completion percentage
11-20 yards - 22% of total passes; 54.8% completion percentage
21-30 yards - 6.6% of total passes; 39.6% completion percentage
31-40 yards - 2.9% of total passes; 36% completion percentage
41+ yards - 1.1% of total passes; 28.6% completion percentage

Dak
Behind LOS - 14.2% of total passes; 84.5% completion percentage
1-10 yards - 54.8% of total passes; 70.7% completion percentage
11-20 yards - 22.2% of total passes; 53.0% completion percentage
21-30 yards - 5.6% of total passes; 37.3% completion percentage
31-40 yards - 2.5% of total passes; 34.8% completion percentage
41+ yards - 0.8% of total passes; 28.6% completion percentage

Dak's numbers are not too far off from what Romo's were for his career. It's not like our offense has been a deep pass juggernaut that stopped when Dak became the QB.

Nice post i appreciate the work that went into it thank you another interesting look -

I would be interested to see Romo Vs Dak after the same amount of years 2 to see where they compared !