Dak vs Top 10 Defenses - What really happened

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
So he's the king of garbage time because in two out of 16 games played he was behind big?
Stay on topic please. This thread is talking about Dak vs Top-10 defenses

One can also argue he was king of garbage time vs the Packers as well

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
When Dak faced a top 10 defense:
4 of 5 times he equaled or exceeded that defenses season average for Passer Rating allowed.
4 of 5 times he equaled or exceeded that defenses season average for TDs allowed.
5 of 5 times he exceeded that defenses season average for passing yards allowed.

Dak's passing yards vs top 10 defenses season averages allowed:
195.2 Avg Allowed Buffalo Bills
355 Dak vs Buffalo Bills

222.1 Avg Allowed Chicago Bears
334 Dak vs Chicago Bears

232.6 Avg Allowed Green Bay Packers
463 Dak vs Green Bay Packers

233.6 Avg Allowed Minnesota Vikings
397 Dak vs Minnesota Vikings

180.4 Avg Allowed New England Patriots
212 Dak vs New England Patriots

Scores by Opponent Offenses of team's with a Top 10 Defense.
BUF 26
CHI 31
GNB 34
MIN 28
NWE 13

The Cowboy and the opponent were within 1 score except the Green Bay game.
- Green Bay scored 34 points which was their 2nd highest points scored for the season.

Summary: The Cowboys offense choked vs the New England Patriots. Dak was good in all other games.
Scratching my head and pondering.

Your posts always have an unsaid topic.

Let me ask this..

Given your info is valid..

Dak exceeded these defenses average whatever allowed..

the bottom line is wasn't Dak generally behind in these games?

Did we lose or win these games?

How much that the other team was leading and trying to kill clock..does that count?

How much of DAKs production occurred early in games and then later in the games..when the game was essentially over?

I do not want you to spend alot of time copy/pasting answers but a quick overstatement works for me.

Thanx.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
4 of 5 times he equaled or exceeded that defenses season average for Passer Rating allowed.
4 of 5 times he equaled or exceeded that defenses season average for TDs allowed.
5 of 5 times he exceeded that defenses season average for passing yards allowed.

355 Dak vs Buffalo Bills

334 Dak vs Chicago Bears

BUF 26
CHI 31
GNB 34
MIN 28
NWE 13

- Green Bay scored 34 points which was their 2nd highest points scored for the season.

Summary: The Cowboys offense choked vs the New England Patriots. Dak was good in all other games.

Two things...……………..New England game was on the road against the #1 defense in football in cold and windy rain. Nobody is going into that game and throwing the ball around or scoring big. THAT was a PERFECT game to unleash the #1 running back in all of football and smash mouth with the big stud, 15 million dollar work horse.

Zeke had 21 rushes for 80 yards and ZERO TD's. He also didn't have a run longer than 12 yards. I dont consider the NE game a choke for the offense.

2. The big choke game for the offense was the 2nd Philly game. It was the ENTIRE offense that choked.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Stay on topic please. This thread is talking about Dak vs Top-10 defenses

One can also argue he was king of garbage time vs the Packers as well

You mean when the Cowboys are down big and they finally stop feeding the ineffective Zeke, Dak balls out?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well to the masses who think he was woefully below average in this category, it’s a step at a time. If we can get people to see that in comparison to the league Dak is not a bottom feeder vs top 10 defenses, we can begin to take a step forward collectively.

If we can get people to see that in comparison to the league, dak is a not an elite feeder versus top 10 defenses......we can begin to take a step forward collectively.

When we collectively acknowledge he's very average and we have won nothing....we can take a step forward.

You will ask why did we pay Zeke and tank...and my answer is I don't know..."pets" maybe. Pets get favor. The teacher can only have so many pets.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean when the Cowboys are down big and they finally stop feeding the ineffective Zeke, Dak balls out?

Um....you mean we when they stop feeding zeke too soon?

Since you claim it...give us the stats of Zeke being ineffective "when the cowboys are down big" (When the elite QB is supposed to step up and pass the team into a chance to win)/

This should be good.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If we can get people to see that in comparison to the league, dak is a not an elite feeder versus top 10 defenses......we can begin to take a step forward collectively.

When we collectively acknowledge he's very average and we have won nothing....we can take a step forward.

You will ask why did we pay Zeke and tank...and my answer is I don't know..."pets" maybe. Pets get favor. The teacher can only have so many pets.
Tank and Zeke.

Essential workers like with the pandemic.

Dak..not so much.

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

Dak will always shine better with his pieces of armor around him.

Stripped of even some is enough to keep him at Bay.

I have yet to see Dak win anything when not playing with elite prime position players.

Dez in 2016, Witten, Zeke, All Pro OL, etc.

When Zeke was suspended..flatline.

Logic has to be clear to the fans where Dak stands.

He is definitely on the short end of the stick.

irishline

Reaction score

Actually we ran down the field on the first drive against the Bears and scored. Zeke has 7 carries for 31 yards and the TD. We were up 7-0. The rest of the first half the we ran the ball 4 times and threw it 8. We were down 17-7 at the end of that half.

Against the Bills we scored on the first drive. Zeke had 5 carries and 1 reception for 33 yards. He had 3 carries the rest of the half. Dak threw the ball 18 times that half. He threw an interception, had an interception called back because of a penalty away from the ball, was sacked and lost a fumble. The next time Zeke carried the ball we were down 2 scores.

Here's a fun fact, in the two games above (against top 10 defenses) Zeke ran the ball 31 times for 152 yards (4.9 ypc) and 2 TDs. He also had 9 receptions for 78 yards. If anything we should have been giving him the ball more.

Not blaming Dak because it is a team game. But people want to say Zeke was ineffective when most of the time it was because we stopped giving him the ball and went too pass happy. We are better balanced. See the Commander and Rams games.

You want to blame someone look at coaching. Neither player was effective enough (one because we stopped giving him the ball, and the other because we put too much on his shoulders when we stopped running) and it really wasn't on either of them.

Last edited:

Bigdog

Reaction score
Why are we comparing Dak to average? I'm a dak supporter, but comparing him to average doesn't seem like the best way to analyse this
I would say Dak has average physical skill set but his leadership skills and other intangibles are in the elite category.

adamknite

Reaction score

355 Dak vs Buffalo Bills

334 Dak vs Chicago Bears

BUF 26
CHI 31
GNB 34
MIN 28
NWE 13

I haven't read the rest of the thread but I feel like you're going to get or have received a lot of statements about those being garbage time stats...

conner01

Reaction score
Why are we comparing Dak to average? I'm a dak supporter, but comparing him to average doesn't seem like the best way to analyse this
It’s not against average players but the avg of what they did against other teams
You could look at their schedule and see the teams they played

JBS

Reaction score
It’s not against average players but the avg of what they did against other teams
You could look at their schedule and see the teams they played

That's correct. The point remains the same. Why are we comparing Dak to the average of those teams..he should be held to a much higher standard

conner01

Reaction score
That's correct. The point remains the same. Why are we comparing Dak to the average of those teams..he should be held to a much higher standard
It’s appears in all but one of them he was much higher

conner01

Reaction score
It's how the avarage qb played vs top 10 defenses..that's comparing him to average
It’s comparing how the teams they played did against those teams some were good teams and some were bad

JBS

Reaction score
It’s comparing how the teams they played did against those teams some were good teams and some were bad

I understand this. The point is still the same. The standard for a guy who is about to be paid amongst the highest in the NFL, needs to be much higher than this..it should be how dak fared vs the very best against these top 10 defenses..not against the average performance against them