Dak vs Top 10 Defenses - What really happened

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's how the avarage qb played vs top 10 defenses..that's comparing him to average
No, it is not.
It is comparing the average the defenses gave up and has zero to do with other QBs because whom the teams faced isn't defined.

Swagger

Reaction score
It's weird to look at passing yards as the best metric here. Passer rating correlates far more closely with winning and, whatever its flaws, is surely superior to passing yardage as a measure of overall QB performance.

Dak doesn't compare as favourably to the average when looking at passer rating:

Dak's passer rating vs top 10 defenses compared to their season average passer rating allowed:

80.7 Avg Allowed Buffalo Bills (86.2 on the road, as they were against Dallas)
91.8 vs Buffalo Bills

85.2 Avg Allowed Chicago Bears (89.4 at home, as they were against Dallas)
83.2 Dak vs Chicago Bears

82.8 Avg Allowed Green Bay Packers (80.1 on the road, as they were against Dallas)
83.8 Dak vs Green Bay Packers

86.4 Avg Allowed Minnesota Vikings (93.2 on the road, as they were against Dallas)
101.4 Dak vs Minnesota Vikings

62.8 Avg Allowed New England Patriots (72.6 at home, as they were against Dallas)
64.2 Dak vs New England Patriots

So basically Dak performed right around the average, maybe slightly above average (though not by much, especially if you start looking at home/away splits), against the Top 10 defenses he faced. Looking at the yardage totals gives the false impression that he performed well above average. Based on this analysis, we have an average to slightly above average QB who wants
The way you guys hold on to that Eagles game is so laughable. Romo lost numerous games to end our season yet you guys never bring them up. Talk about a agenda.

People will claim the Colts game was Prescott's worst performance as the offense somehow put up zero points but I regard the Eagles game as his worst for the Cowboys.

Some seem to think that the Eagles had their full team out and we were playing our reserves but the reality was that we pretty much had all of our boys in that game. The Eagles didn't have a recognised receiver, their RB1 was injured, pretty sure Ertz got injured, Lane Johnson was out, from memory Peters may have got injured as well - he seemed to go down in most games down the stretch last season! Again from memory I'm pretty sure Pederson made some poor decisions as well during the game which backfired and arguably cost points. So whilst he is a better coach than Garrett, he didn't exactly outshine him massively in this particular game. People blamed Garrett for not using Zeke more than he did but the Eagles sold out to shut down the running game. Their secondary was there for the taking, as it was down the stretch, and I think it was reasonable for the coaching staff to take what was offered but Prescott missed countless throws and the receivers dropped several balls. The Defense only gave up 17 points. Realistically couldn't expect more than that. The offense lost us this game - there were so many plays butchered by poor throwing and sloppy catching. Prescott genuinely looked like a back up QB in this game.

The Eagles were simply there for the taking. Prescott only had to make a couple of the throws he missed for us to win. I remember the biggest play he made mid way to Gallop was massively underthrown yet somehow not intercepted by Darby.

I think it was Aikman who commented that Prescott's arm looked fine in the warm up and he played versus the Commanders a week or so later and looked fine. If he was injured and knew he couldn't throw the ball properly then he shouldn't have played.

The reason why people highlight the game is that I can't recall the likes of Wilson, Rodgers or even Ryan playing this badly in a very winnable key game. All of the aforementioned quarterbacks are regarded as franchise QBs, some on here hold Prescott to the same standard. If he wants to be paid like a franchise QB then he needs to play like one and he didn't in this game. The main point is that it wasn't a difficult ask to hit wide open receivers on a few of those wayward throws. It's not just a lazy criticism of a poor performance in a game where the defense threw him under the bus and gave him little chance (e.g. the Vikings game last season where Prescott put in his best performance regardless of what the stats say). The D conceded 17 points away from home against a secondary that was there for the taking.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
People will claim the Colts game was Prescott's worst performance as the offense somehow put up zero points but I regard the Eagles game as his worst for the Cowboys.

Some seem to think that the Eagles had their full team out and we were playing our reserves but the reality was that we pretty much had all of our boys in that game. The Eagles didn't have a recognised receiver, their RB1 was injured, pretty sure Ertz got injured, Lane Johnson was out, from memory Peters may have got injured as well - he seemed to go down in most games down the stretch last season! Again from memory I'm pretty sure Pederson made some poor decisions as well during the game which backfired and arguably cost points. So whilst he is a better coach than Garrett, he didn't exactly outshine him massively in this particular game. People blamed Garrett for not using Zeke more than he did but the Eagles sold out to shut down the running game. Their secondary was there for the taking, as it was down the stretch, and I think it was reasonable for the coaching staff to take what was offered but Prescott missed countless throws and the receivers dropped several balls. The Defense only gave up 17 points. Realistically couldn't expect more than that. The offense lost us this game - there were so many plays butchered by poor throwing and sloppy catching. Prescott genuinely looked like a back up QB in this game.

The Eagles were simply there for the taking. Prescott only had to make a couple of the throws he missed for us to win. I remember the biggest play he made mid way to Gallop was massively underthrown yet somehow not intercepted by Darby.

I think it was Aikman who commented that Prescott's arm looked fine in the warm up and he played versus the Commanders a week or so later and looked fine. If he was injured and knew he couldn't throw the ball properly then he shouldn't have played.

The reason why people highlight the game is that I can't recall the likes of Wilson, Rodgers or even Ryan playing this badly in a very winnable key game. All of the aforementioned quarterbacks are regarded as franchise QBs, some on here hold Prescott to the same standard. If he wants to be paid like a franchise QB then he needs to play like one and he didn't in this game. The main point is that it wasn't a difficult ask to hit wide open receivers on a few of those wayward throws. It's not just a lazy criticism of a poor performance in a game where the defense threw him under the bus and gave him little chance (e.g. the Vikings game last season where Prescott put in his best performance regardless of what the stats say). The D conceded 17 points away from home against a secondary that was there for the taking.

Yes....when Russel, Rodgers and Ryan were Dak's age? They had some piss poor performances.. Hell they still have piss poor performances today especially Matt Ryan.

If Dak's shoulder wasn't bothering him you guys haven't came up with a valid argument for why he was bad that game other than he just sucks. He's never played poor in a playoff performance so you can't say it was the pressure that got to him. What was it?

JBS

Reaction score
No, it's how the average of how all QBs played against those defenses.

Maybe this type of thread is not for you...

That's exactly what I said. Not my fault you can't comprehend anything.

Maybe starting quality threads isn't for you. Every reaction that you get from the entire board on every single thread you start is about how ridiculous your threads are. Have you not gotten the point yet?

JBS

Reaction score
No, it is not.
It is comparing the average the defenses gave up and has zero to do with other QBs because whom the teams faced isn't defined.

Based on the qbs that were faced, it's the average of those qbs..yes, it is..

Reaction score
Why are we comparing Dak to average? I'm a dak supporter, but comparing him to average doesn't seem like the best way to analyse this

and there you have it,,,, "average" in the NFL usually means not playoff worthy, certainly not top contract worthy,,, and most of the other "average" quarterbacks don't have anywhere near as good a supporting cast. I'm a supporter of Dak as well, but I have to say each year of waiting for him to blossom makes it a little more unlikely.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yards seems like a weird stat to defend this. What were his TD passes, what was his QBR or QB Rating?

Some Examples of other QBs vs these Defenses:
BUF: Brady Week 4: 19.2
CHI: Rodgers Week 1: 36
CHI: Rodgers Week 15: 41.4
GNB: Cousins Week 16: 24.4
GNB: Cousins Week 2: 8
MIN: Rodgers Week 16: 36.3
MIN: Rodgers Week 2: 35.5
NWE: Wentz Week 11: 47.8

BUF: Dak 54.7
CHI: Dak 58.7
GNB: Dak 33.9
MIN: Dak 85.3
NWE: Dak 26.1

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Slice it however you guys want. This thread is a fail
According to the joker that thinks:
- Average of Passing Yards Allowed by a Defense = Passing Yards by Average QBs against a Defense

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's how the avarage qb played vs top 10 defenses..that's comparing him to average

That's exactly what I said. Not my fault you can't comprehend anything.

Maybe starting quality threads isn't for you. Every reaction that you get from the entire board on every single thread you start is about how ridiculous your threads are. Have you not gotten the point yet?
I have more likes than posts...maybe you don't speak for everyone on the board...

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way you guys hold on to that Eagles game is so laughable. Romo lost numerous games to end our season yet you guys never bring them up. Talk about a agenda.
Romo's not on the team right now.....apparently holding out...for now.

Not that I really care about how gets paid what. Just sayin'.

Sydla

Reaction score
Some Examples of other QBs vs these Defenses:
BUF: Brady Week 4: 19.2
CHI: Rodgers Week 1: 36
CHI: Rodgers Week 15: 41.4
GNB: Cousins Week 16: 24.4
GNB: Cousins Week 2: 8
MIN: Rodgers Week 16: 36.3
MIN: Rodgers Week 2: 35.5
NWE: Wentz Week 11: 47.8

BUF: Dak 54.7
CHI: Dak 58.7
GNB: Dak 33.9
MIN: Dak 85.3
NWE: Dak 26.1

Great.

Doesn't really disprove the reality that in the 5 games against defenses you cited, Dak played well in 2 and average to below average in 3.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Of course there's an agenda. The agenda is that Dak, while a good QB, is not an elite QB and doesn't deserve to be the highest paid QB in the NFL.
Yet, you aren't paid based on your "skill" exclusively. That goes for even outside of the NFL. If Jerry sold the Cowboys do you think he'd sell based on what they are worth?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Very nice deflection! BRAVO!

Such hypocrisy that Zeke the great doesnt get the same critical finger pointed at him.

In many of those games against better teams it was the forced run game/conservative game plan/Zeke's inability to get things going that widely contributed to the big deficits and stalled the offense.

Yet never a word.

And never a word about Garrett the horrible head coach.

Its always about Dak time after time. Its about agenda. Biased agenda.

Which has no place in a rational conversation.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 out of 5 games our points scored were less than the teams average allowed. The fact of the matter is that of our 8 losses, we had 4 winnable games in the 4th quarter that Dak did not do anything special to bring home the win.
exactly. People trot out whatever stats they think supports their opinion. But in the end....what have we seen Dak do that make you go..."what? What did he just do? What just happened!?

I can think of numerous games...in the last 4-5 years Aaron Rodgers I Was like "What in the entire f...".

JBS

Reaction score
According to the joker that thinks:
- Average of Passing Yards Allowed by a Defense = Passing Yards by Average QBs against a Defense

This isn't what I said. Not my fault you can't read. You can't write well either. Nor do you come up w any good thread ideas.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well to the masses who think he was woefully below average in this category, it’s a step at a time. If we can get people to see that in comparison to the league Dak is not a bottom feeder vs top 10 defenses, we can begin to take a step forward collectively.

I don't believe the masses believe he was woefully below average. I think that's a myth. I think they believe he is not one of the top QBs in this regard, which suggest top 5 etc. See, this is the thing. Dak is no longer playing in that kind of league. Dak is being offered top money in the NFL so expectations have changed for him. This is the new reality for him and it's not going to change. He will no longer be measured by average and average results, in any capacity, will be viewed as failures and that's fair. He's put himself in this situation and now, this is how it is for him.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Such hypocrisy that Zeke the great doesnt get the same critical finger pointed at him.

In many of those games against better teams it was the forced run game/conservative game plan/Zeke's inability to get things going that widely contributed to the big deficits and stalled the offense.

Yet never a word.

And never a word about Garrett the horrible head coach.

Its always about Dak time after time. Its about agenda. Biased agenda.

Which has no place in a rational conversation.

Look...I asked you a simple question to back up your statement. And here's your second deflection.

Hypocrisy? LOL coming from you that's rich. You refuse to do what you demand of others...judge one player the same way you judge another. Your zeke hate is impressive.

Never a bad word about Garret huh? Really...did you keep a straight face saying that?
And we also went through this with zeke last year. Lotta people said let the bum sit. I was one of them.

If you were interested in a "rational" (and polite) conversation you would have answered my question the first time.