Dak vs Top 10 Defenses - What really happened

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wrong.

3 of 5 ended within 1 score.

The other 2 ended within less than 2 TDs.

And this year, a defense with improved talent, and who already was top 10, and lead by aggressive leadership...will be helping.

That is, unless as all nay sayers imply - all available sacks drop their balls, Murphy's Law buys the Cowboys, and all referees start calling penalties only on Cowboys players. Then they have to start their cheerleaders...people would still watch.:)

JBS

Reaction score
Which clearly means he is above average, right?

Of course he is. You have to be delusional to say otherwise. but that isn't that point. The point is, how does he compare against the best, not against average.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn't what I said. Not my fault you can't read. You can't write well either. Nor do you come up w any good thread ideas.
It's how the avarage qb played vs top 10 defenses..that's comparing him to average

You keep repeating that average (which you spell as avarage) as used in my OP was how the average QB played. That is wrong.

The defensive averages are the average of how those defenses played against the QBs they faced.

Some defenses faced multiple top 5 QBs and others didn't.

Defenses played QBs in their division twice per season.

In order to get the stats on how average QBs played vs those defenses, the stats would have to only include how those defenses fared when facing average QBs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look at the score with 10 mins left. They could be up two score with 6 mins left and play vanilla not to get beat deep.

Green Bay: It's a 10 point game with 7:46 remaining. Defenses don't play vanilla with that much time remaining and less than 2 TDs difference in the score.

Buffalo: The only one that's close to a defense in "prevent" mode; however, Dak's passing yards in the 1st half and 2nd half were 156 & 199 which is not a huge discrepency.

Reactions: CWR

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If only we had a 26 year old franchise QB who has been top 7 QB in efficiency since entering the league, then our fans would finally all be hap....

Oh wait

Can't believe we have so many posters on here willingly looking ignorant by saying to just let him walk.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Which clearly means he is above average, right?

I guess it depends on how you break it out. I everything above the 16th ranked QB is above average, then yes. However, if you say something like 5 guys are cream, the next 5 guys are above average, the next 5 guys are average etc........ Then maybe he isn't, IDK. Doesn't really matter. It's all a bunch of fluff to me.

He is what he is. The team is apparently willing to pay him a certain price over the course of a certain number of years. I think that's where we are at, at this point

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Of course he is. You have to be delusional to say otherwise. but that isn't that point. The point is, how does he compare against the best, not against average.
That matters if you want to have the best QB in the NFL and pay him thusly. You can win with an above average QB who has leadership skills. Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman were never considered the best QBs of their time, but they were driven and winners.

JBS

Reaction score
You keep repeating that average (which you spell as avarage) as used in my OP was how the average QB played. That is wrong.

The defensive averages are the average of how those defenses played against the QBs they faced.

Some defenses faced multiple top 5 QBs and others didn't.

Defenses played QBs in their division twice per season.

In order to get the stats on how average QBs played vs those defenses, the stats would have to only include how those defenses fared when facing average QBs.

I'm not sure what is so hard to understand. It has nothing to do w average qb..it's the average these defenses have performed..so you aren't comparing Dak to whichever qbs have performed the best vs those defenses..because that is what is important...we arent talking about paying dak to perform in the middle of the pack vs these great defenses..we are talking about paying him the most money in the NFL..so he needs to do much better than that..and maybe he did..but this doesn't tell us anything..

Big_C_KU

Reaction score
Dallas was down at least 2 TDs in the 1st half in all those games except vs NE. Part of it was because of Dak’s terrible starts in those games and other because the defense sucked to start games. Dallas was always awful under Garrett to start games. Was that way even if great seasons like 2014 and 2016.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
If only QB play and RB play happened in a vacuum...
This is the result of the generation who grew up on Madden. To them stats are king and everything revolves around them. Wins and losses not so much. They probably think Staubach sucked as a QB. I mean his stats are really low compared to today's QB's. lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure what is so hard to understand. It has nothing to do w average qb..it's the average these defenses have performed..so you aren't comparing Dak to whichever qbs have performed the best vs those defenses..because that is what is important...we arent talking about paying dak to perform in the middle of the pack vs these great defenses..we are talking about paying him the most money in the NFL..so he needs to do much better than that..and maybe he did..but this doesn't tell us anything..

Repeat your own quote and explain what this specific quotes means if it does not mean what it says:

Remember, this is your quote.

"It's how the avarage qb played vs top 10 defenses..that's comparing him to average"

FYI: Dak's rank with regards to most passing yards against these defenses:
BUF 1st
CHI 1st
GNB 1st
MIN 1st
NWE 6th

Reactions: CWR

JBS

Reaction score
Repeat your own quote and explain what this specific quotes means if it does not mean what it says:

Remember, this is your quote.

"It's how the avarage qb played vs top 10 defenses..that's comparing him to average"

FYI: Dak's rank with regards to most passing yards against these defenses:
BUF 1st
CHI 1st
GNB 1st
MIN 1st
NWE 6th

Good, so now we are making some progress..yards is one stat. How did he fare in points scored?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good, so now we are making some progress..yards is one stat. How did he fare in points scored?
Answer my question. What does your quote below mean?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It didn't really matter in 4 or 5 games because the Cowboys defense gave up too many points for a realistic chance of winning.

Cowboys-Vikings: 24-28
Only 1 Vikings opponent gave up 28 or more and won the game.

Cowboys-Packers: 24-34
Zero Packers opponents gave up 34 or more points and won the game.

Cowboys-Bills: 15-26
Zero Bills opponents gave up 26 or more points and won the game.

Cowboys-Bears: 24-31
Zero opponents gave up 31 or more points and won the game.