Dak vs Winston

BlueStar22

Reaction score
This fanbase is so toxic. Yall love any player on every other team but your own. Jameis man? Nevermind the fact that he's coming off an ACL injury and isn't that great.

dckid

Reaction score
I’m not anti Dak. I’ve actually been more supportive of him than many. So let’s get that out there first.

I’m not a Jameis Winston fan, but I see that he just signed for two years $28m. ($14 per year)

We are paying Dak roughly three times what Winston makes. If both were equally paid, I would choose Dak over Winston; however, it would not be surprised at all if Winston outperforms Dak over the next two years at about 1/3 of the cost.

You can’t win in this league without a franchise QB, and you would think that there are not many acceptable substitutes for Dak. But Matt Ryan was traded for a third round pick. Wentz is probably also in the “Dak ballpark”

Dak
Wentz
Ryan
Winston

All are “retreads” other than Dak. Would anyone be surprised if any of all of these guys outperformed Dak next year.

This is just food for thought on a rainy day in Oklahoma.
I stated this same exact thing last offseason before Dak was signed. I actually said the same thing about Minshew mania.
Obviously Jerry does not play on competing, so why pay Dak?? If you try to logically deduce why you pay Dak?
All the Dak lovers were like, you don't just let a potential franchise guy walk away!!!! My thought was first of all he is not a franchise guy, and he alone will win you nothing.
One year of Dak and Jerry wont spend a penny to improve the team. It's never been about the SB's, its always been about Jerry.
Going back to Jameis, if you give them the same talent Winston will put up better numbers as he is just more talented.

dckid

Reaction score
I’m not anti Dak. I’ve actually been more supportive of him than many. So let’s get that out there first.

I’m not a Jameis Winston fan, but I see that he just signed for two years $28m. ($14 per year)

We are paying Dak roughly three times what Winston makes. If both were equally paid, I would choose Dak over Winston; however, it would not be surprised at all if Winston outperforms Dak over the next two years at about 1/3 of the cost.

You can’t win in this league without a franchise QB, and you would think that there are not many acceptable substitutes for Dak. But Matt Ryan was traded for a third round pick. Wentz is probably also in the “Dak ballpark”

Dak
Wentz
Ryan
Winston

All are “retreads” other than Dak. Would anyone be surprised if any of all of these guys outperformed Dak next year.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/i-wished-we-had-signed-jameis-winston.474778/

Here is the thread I had about Winston...
hahaha

BobSacamano

Reaction score
I’ll tell you what… I’d take Dak running Sean Payton’s offense, no doubt about it.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I don't think a lot of posters have watched Winston play....seriously?

GINeric

Reaction score

Dak
Wentz
Ryan
Winston

Its comical that you're even mentioning these two qbs in the same discussion. Dak is a much better all around quarterback than Winston. I guess you got a thing for quarterbacks with record breaking turnover abilities.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Winston is average at best. he was also 1st over all pick who as a QB was an embarassment to his team. also Winston was a turnover machine, which hurt his team more than his TDs thrown. that's why his old team let him go. his results weren't that good in Tampa despite everything. his last year he went 7-9. basically the same team that won the superbowl.

he amounted to nothing in NO and got an average contract as a result.

Dak got a contract that was too much, but he had better results on the field. perhaps he was a better game manager than Winston that may have fooled people. he was less mistake prone.

Wentz is very up and down. often injured. he makes some plays that are so dumb it makes you scratch your head....then he makes a good play. that's why he is on his third team and it won't be his last.

Ryan is good enough to win. needs a strong supporting cast, but can get the job done. I think he is a good match for the colts, with that running game, improved defense. except that he is now in AFC and AFC is stacked with KC, Bills, Chargers, NE, Denver, Ravens, Cinci and perhaps improving cleveland, NE and Raiders.....that conference is pretty scary. its a tough gauntlet to get out of once you can even make it to the playoffs.
Nice points!
Well done.

basel90

Reaction score

Dak
Wentz
Ryan
Winston

Valid argument .Winston at 14 million is a bargain and I would argue he is not that far from Dak level . Matt Ryan is way better than Dak hands down . At least he took his team to the super bowl and has much better decision making as a QB . Heck , baker is available at 18 mil and should definitely be looked at . Last time baker played here against the cowboys , he played much better than dak .

Verdict

Reaction score
Valid argument .Winston at 14 million is a bargain and I would argue he is not that far from Dak level . Matt Ryan is way better than Dak hands down . At least he took his team to the super bowl and has much better decision making as a QB . Heck , baker is available at 18 mil and should definitely be looked at . Last time baker played here against the cowboys , he played much better than dak .
I might be in the minority, but Dak vs Mayfield (along with their respective cap hits) really makes you want to give a good solid evaluation of Mayfield.

johneric8

Reaction score

Dak
Wentz
Ryan
Winston

You my man are not very bright.. prayers ...

Hadenough

Reaction score
You couldn’t be more wrong! If you put an average to bad QB on this team the Cowboys would be picking in the top 10-15 every year. The only reason they won the division in 2021 is because they have the better QB. Dak has beaten plenty of good teams but too many fans are hung up on what happened the second half of this past season. He played arguably his best game of the season in the opener against the defending Super Bowl champions on the road but our defense couldn’t make a critical stop with the game on the line. Only two Cowboys QBs have ever won a Super Bowl. If we don’t win a Super Bowl with Dak it won’t be because of him. It’s not the QB that’s holding the team back.
Yes we all know about the dysfunction in this organization. But your mistaken badly to not realize Dak is so inconsistent this team will never good enough to give him the perfect world he needs. He is a major part of the problem once they get into the playoffs. Playoff QBs are constantly under pressure and Dak was the worst QB in the playoffs.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
*wipes tears from face* "but who will we get if we get rid of the baby dak"
who cares! it will be no difference in wasting 5 plus years watching this loser win nothing. Big deal if he wins the division every now and then. sheesh.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Dak and Winston are polar opposites.
Dak is TOO careful and Winston TOO reckless.
The question is which is easier to improve.
I think Winston is easier to improve because you can mask recklessness with a running game.
We tried to do that with Dak, but it seems Kill Moore is fixated on transforming Dak into Dan Fouts, and Dak simply is not as accurate and is not as courageous throwing the ball as Fouts.
He just doesn't seem to want to pull the trigger. It's a mental thing, and it's hard to leap mental hurdles, especially when ball-protection is drilled into your head.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Winston has terrific arm talent but is a weirdo.

Dak is a cool cat with limited arm talent.

Neither can read a defense to save his life.

Toss up.

Good description. Let's just say I know people who know Winston. He had maturity issues and doesn't seem to have grown out of them.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes we all know about the dysfunction in this organization. But your mistaken badly to not realize Dak is so inconsistent this team will never good enough to give him the perfect world he needs. He is a major part of the problem once they get into the playoffs. Playoff QBs are constantly under pressure and Dak was the worst QB in the playoffs.

Dak was very consistent for 5 1/2 seasons which is why he got the huge contract extension. He was never inconsistent until the second half of last season after he came back from the calf injury. He was playing some of the best football of his career prior to that at an MVP level both last season and in 2020. He never had a bad playoff game until the 49er game. Some of you are acting like what we saw the second half of last season is what he’s been his entire career and you’re dead wrong! There’s no way he would’ve gotten the contract he did if he was playing inconsistent or poorly. There’s been many games over his career where he’s put the team on his back.

Arguably the greatest comeback in the history of the franchise was against Atlanta in 2020. He brought us back from 20 points down and made some terrific plays. You hate Dak so much you’re claiming he was worse than Kyler Murray in the playoffs? Lol Kyler Murray’s performance against the Rams was beyond dreadful! None of the experts who get paid to football think Dak is a bad QB or is the problem with the Cowboys. It’s only the clueless, casual fans that make that claim.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I stated this same exact thing last offseason before Dak was signed. I actually said the same thing about Minshew mania.
Obviously Jerry does not play on competing, so why pay Dak?? If you try to logically deduce why you pay Dak?
All the Dak lovers were like, you don't just let a potential franchise guy walk away!!!! My thought was first of all he is not a franchise guy, and he alone will win you nothing.
One year of Dak and Jerry wont spend a penny to improve the team. It's never been about the SB's, its always been about Jerry.
Going back to Jameis, if you give them the same talent Winston will put up better numbers as he is just more talented.
he had the same latent year before brady took the same team to a SB and JW was the key reason they weren't succeeding that Ludacris. hes not even in the same zip code as dak..but keep trolling..that just an ignorant statement. Inaccurate false etc etc