News: Dak Wants Cowboys To Pay Him ‘Right Behind Mahomes’ - And Pay Him ‘Respect’

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So you'd take Dalton over Deshaun Watson because he's cheaper correct?

Tough question for me because I don't watch Watson enough to know if he's an elite player or not.

4 wins is a huge red flag for me.

Elite QB's consistently make the playoffs.

So in general my rule is that if the QB can't elevate i'd rather spend the money on the roster and replace the quarterback. This is a backwards way of thinking for most people because the NFL has trained them to think about overpaying the QB but the results are just not there to justify paying non elite guys like Dak.

So honest answer is I just haven't watched enough of Watson to know if he is elite. If he's not elite then give me a rookie contract over paying him 40 Million to win 4 games a year.

BTW.. Dalton is just a name.. I'd rather draft then have Andy Dalton. I just think Dalton will win and lose the same games the Dak will win and lose for the most part.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No, we all do not agree. He needs as much as any QB. Obviously the Brady's, Rogers and Mahomes are better but they all need a ton around them.

But at least they come with Superbowls on their resume instead of hope.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Tough question for me because I don't watch Watson enough to know if he's an elite player or not.

So in general my rule is that if the QB can't elevate i'd rather spend the money on the roster and replace the quarterback. This is a backwards way of thinking for most people because the NFL has trained them to think about overpaying the QB but the results are just not there to justify paying non elite guys like Dak.

So honest answer is I just haven't watched enough of Watson to know if he is elite. If he's not elite then give me a rookie contract over paying him 40 Million to win 4 games a year.

BTW.. Dalton is just a name.. I'd rather draft then have Andy Dalton. I just think Dalton will win and lose the same games the Dak will win and lose for the most part.

Watson's situation is nothing like Dak's though as the Houston franchise was a cluster flub run organization personnel wise whereas Dak was provided quality players on both sides of the ball.

khiladi

Reaction score
I think the Jones boys end up capitulating, not a fan of it, but I have zero control over it. So what happens, happens.

I will say that you are one of the best and informed posters on this board. And just watching you school @Rockport and @rocyaice makes this toxic place easier to digest.

I'm not even sure they love the Cowboys, I think they prefer just arguing and name-calling complete strangers on the internet.

And they both will keep diggin' deeper because they believe they are "winning". It's not even fair to them to be honest. They have neither the football knowledge nor intellect to be in post with you.

Keep up the great work my good Sir, it's about the only entertainment left on her

Thanks for the kudos. I think the Jones will capitulate too, but I’ve pretty much learned to deal with the mediocrity that is the Cowboys. It’s not gonna surprise me and I’m not going to throw something at my TV. I will laugh every time Dak throws it behind a wide-open WR causing the WR to slow down and leave yards off the field or it to bounce off the WRs hands into a trailing DBs arms for an INT.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You mean the same crappy defense that is blamed for Dak's failures????

Lol...

Dalton's defense was much better than Dak's defense.

Imagine actually thinking that.

If anything Dalton had it worse then Dak because the OL in front of him was a bunch of backups with Zack Martin sprinkled in here and there.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
We have nothing to discuss if you would take Dalton instead of Watson. Absolutely nothing. What is this "we can go 8-8" a lot cheaper? The objective is to save Jerry money now? This is insane lol.

Ultimately all of it depends on the cost. Not like Dalton or Watson is free. You need to understand that there are points in the scale where it simply does not make sense to sign a guy regardless of how talented he is. Now if we were looking at golf or tennis where you have one player and not a team sport sure. But in a team sport where the expectation is to field the best possible team that can win then no, just having one overpriced guy who is a burden on the majority of the salary cap for your team then at some point you need to ask yourself, why the hell are you paying to lose football games? Watson is far and above the superior QB when compared to Andy Dalton - but that superior QB is not going to count for a whole lot when you have no goddammed team around him. This is what you Church of Dak folks keep screaming about with no awareness that the defense sucks the defense sucks. Okay if the defense sucks explain to me how dedicating the better part of your salary cap to the offense is going to instantly make the defense better? It doesn't and it won't - that's the point.

khiladi

Reaction score
Bull****. Dak never said "I want to be paid right behind Mahomes". Never said it. Prove me wrong with a Dak quote. you can't so you've been sucked. And that's no surprise.

You are being absurd now.

Why would I say “I want to be paid right behind Mahomes” is what Dak stated when I referenced the EXACT quote for everybody to read and argued this was idea about being the highest-paid player has been his position since “day 1”? You flat out stated the quote I brought was not what Dak stated, which had to do with being the highest paid player, because you very well know this quote applied to the same circumstances Dak is in now.

And it was exactly what Dak stated and now you to trying to get around it with this nonsense that Dak didn’t say the above words, which I never stated he did.

I also mentioned on this thread that Dak said his contract was about respect in the interview he did last off-season.

It is exactly what Dak stated.

Just quit with the nonsense, such as “you’ve been sucked” when you are flat out wrong.. it’s not a good look.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just stop while you're ahead as:

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Some men, you just can't reach.

So you get what we had here last week -- which is the way he wants it.

Well, he gets it.

And I don't like it anymore than you men.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with me and Catch debating on the subject matter. I've debated him and have had no issues with him. Your attempt at trying to make it more than what it is just because I disagree with him. Grow up.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ultimately all of it depends on the cost. Not like Dalton or Watson is free. You need to understand that there are points in the scale where it simply does not make sense to sign a guy regardless of how talented he is. Now if we were looking at golf or tennis where you have one player and not a team sport sure. But in a team sport where the expectation is to field the best possible team that can win then no, just having one overpriced guy who is a burden on the majority of the salary cap for your team then at some point you need to ask yourself, why the hell are you paying to lose football games? Watson is far and above the superior QB when compared to Andy Dalton - but that superior QB is not going to count for a whole lot when you have no goddammed team around him. This is what you Church of Dak folks keep screaming about with no awareness that the defense sucks the defense sucks. Okay if the defense sucks explain to me how dedicating the better part of your salary cap to the offense is going to instantly make the defense better? It doesn't and it won't - that's the point.

Ok but understanding how the Cowboys have used free agency and salary cap space for the last 5 years....what do you think the Cowboys will do with any "savings" they have by letting Dak go in favor of Dalton?

The objective is not to "lose games". You're paying Dak to win. And yes he was 2-3 last year. If I thought Dak's ceiling or even his floor was to start the season 2-3 then I'd agree with you. But I don't. IF you want to make this black and white and give Dak full blame for going 2-3 then yes I can understand why you feel the way you do. I just disagree here. I honestly believe in the games Dak went 2-3 in it was a complete mess from top to bottom. Dak would start games off slow....Zeke was struggling...defense was bad...McCarthy was bad....everything that could go wrong would go wrong.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with me and Catch debating on the subject matter. I've debated him and have had no issues with him. Your attempt at trying to make it more than what it is just because I disagree with him. Grow up.

Excuse me but I was responding to Catch17 and not you so why did you feel the need to butt in.....as you earlier proclaimed in your attempt at personally insulting me? Talk about the need to grow up.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Naw the defense that with Dak was last in turnovers but by seasons end ended up 7th in the league in turnovers with 23.

Well maybe they just played harder with Dalton at QB than with Dak at QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Its not difficult though. You said elite QB's win consistently and make the playoffs so Watson isn't elite.

I disagree though that the NFL has trained us to think you need to pay for your QB. I think the opposite. IT has convinced some of you guys that you can only win with a rookie QB and that has not been the case AT ALL.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Excuse me but I was responding to Catch17 and not you so why did you feel the need to butt in.....as you earlier proclaimed in your attempt at personally insulting me? Talk about the need to grow up.
Because you're being messy and quite frankly there's no need to be messy just because me and you are having a disagreement on a matter.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well maybe they just played harder with Dalton at QB than with Dak at QB.

Maybe. Or maybe getting rid of Everson Griffen, Worley and Poe was a addition by subtraction? Maybe Randy Gregory coming back was a positive? Maybe the defense got more comfortable in a new scheme?

Nah..they just wanted to play harder for Dalton...you're right.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Because you're being messy and quite frankly there's no need to be messy just because me and you are having a disagreement on a matter.

So I'm a liar and I'm messy. Well sorry for disappointing your obvious high standards and I will try and be better next time boss.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lol...

Dalton's defense was much better than Dak's defense.

Imagine actually thinking that.

If anything Dalton had it worse then Dak because the OL in front of him was a bunch of backups with Zack Martin sprinkled in here and there.
You don't think this defense got better when they stopped playing Griffen, Worley and Poe? You think they were the same defense despite generating more turnovers?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So I'm a liar and I'm messy. Well sorry for disappointing your obvious high standards and I will try and be better next time boss.
Isn't that how all this started? You tried to get me benched for calling another person a liar? Is that not messy?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Isn't that how all this started? You tried to get me benched for calling another person a liar? Is that not messy?

You won't get benched as clearly only certain people get benched so continue about your ways.....I'm done with you now.