Twitter: Dak: "We have the right guys. I promise 2018 will be a great year"

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our team is worse as of right now than last year. Which was worse than the year before. First time since Parcells was here I’m expecting a losing season.

We are worse than last year, but disagree about the year before. The talent level has been getting better year to year since McClay came on board.
At this time last year we lost all of our secondary or almost all of it. It is now much better than it has been for years.

We are worse becasue we now do not have a sure #1 WR. So let’s see where that goes. We are worse becasue we do not know how the OL will play out, lets see after the draft.

But agree we are worse, at this moment, but it is not becasue of the overall players and talent. We are not as talented as some think, but we aren’t that void either.

We are worse becasue of the coaching staff and their schemes.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
OK, so if he doesn't pan out, we lose out on a 4th round compensatory pick? Who cares? It's not like how pot committed teams like the Rams are in Goff or all the teams trading up this year for qbs. At worst we got a surprise 12-4 season from Dak that gave us hope when things look dour post Romo.

And you don't bail on the Rookie OPOY after one half bad season where everything went wrong down the stretch, that's stupid. So what you do you want the team to do? Give up on Dak? No, because he's still our best option (yes, over any incoming rookie qb or Cooper Rush).

I can understand the shots people take at him if Dak was a first rounder with the attitude of a Manziel... but he's not. He's a great kid with a great story....so why keep bringing your qb down? If he regresses he regresses, we would have been in the same position regardless once Romo retired.

Big difference between Romo and Dak... we were married to Romo in a big, bulky marital contract in 2013. Fans should thank their lucky stars and four leaf clovers that Dak is costing us less than $600,000 per during his formulative years. We have a couple of years to assess the kid and sign him long term if things go well or move on if they don't.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“If” Tyron can stay healthy. Let’s go with that not being a positive

I don’t thing the secondary gaining a year offsets the loss of Hitchens and the aging of Lee another year

Skipped over Elliott, didnt you? And the draft.

As for Tyron, yes, there is an if, but for now he says he feels better than in several years, so that doesn’t fit with your belief that we are worse off now than last year.

As for the defense, it’s not just the secondary, it’s Jaylon and Taco too. We had 5 players in their 1st season. I also should have mentioned we will have David Irving the entire season instead of just half of it.

Swagger

Reaction score
As many as possible would be the answer of any QB and RB don't you think?

How many Pro-Bowlers did other teams have on their offensive line?

I think Prescott has more than enough to get it done if good enough. Every team contends with injuries and he can always assist with simple adjustments himself, e.g. if Tyron Smith is out then add a Tight End to the left side etc.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
its allright for dak to have these thoughts in his mind and talk with the other players about them but as far as public statements like that I just wouldn't use them

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Big difference between Romo and Dak... we were married to Romo in a big, bulky marital contract in 2013. Fans should thank their lucky stars and four leaf clovers that Dak is costing us less than $600,000 per during his formulative years. We have a couple of years to assess the kid and sign him long term if things go well or move on if they don't.
Oh yeah, I didn't even think of the contract. So you have a qb that's costing you almost league minimum, cost us basically a 5th rounder to draft and got us to 12-4 in his rookie season and 9-7 in a sophomore slump. But let's keep taking shots at him... the worst types of fans

Noclaf

Reaction score
I hate our fans these days. This team didn't trade draft picks to move up to get Dak. He was a compensatory 4th round pick that saved our 2016 season and broke rookie records, had a great start to 2017 but fell into a sophomore slump. Now apparently he can't throw straight and no one can wait to take a jab at him.
Did you watch the last 8 games of last year? He looked lost at times

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Healthy Oline, Zeke, Dak and Lee and this team wins eight on that alone.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
The team looked lost. He was running for his life, our ace in the hole was gone 6 games, and our play callers had him waiting in collapsing pockets for 4 or 5 seconds before the receivers finished their routes 25 yards down field.

He's a second year qb. He hadn't seen everything, and he was shown more than he could handle in those last 7 or so games. Doesn't mean he can't grow. Wentz didn't make the playoffs his first year, does that mean he'll always fail? Goff couldn't beat career vets as a rookie, I guess he'll always be a bust?

So he struggled? What's the worst that will happen? Our 4th round pick who's costing us $600k might not be the option for the future? It's where we would have been post Romo anyway, but atleast Dak showed enough in one season to give hope. And if all of you think he had no hand in 12-4 then you're idiots

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I hate our fans these days. This team didn't trade draft picks to move up to get Dak. He was a compensatory 4th round pick that saved our 2016 season and broke rookie records, had a great start to 2017 but fell into a sophomore slump. Now apparently he can't throw straight and no one can wait to take a jab at him.

Best post I have seen in a while

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Couldn’t have put it any better. He made a lot of poor throws but he had some great throws and made plays as well. If zeke didn’t get suspended we were looking at making the playoffs after that chiefs game.

HungryLion

Reaction score

He did. He absolutely did. Some of us just believe that those things happen to young QB’s and his deficiencies are thing he can overcome with experience and practice.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
How many Pro-Bowlers did other teams have on their offensive line?

I think Prescott has more than enough to get it done if good enough. Every team contends with injuries and he can always assist with simple adjustments himself, e.g. if Tyron Smith is out then add a Tight End to the left side etc.

Well your question was how many pro-bowlers do we need on the OL? Ask any QB in the league and they would prefer to have every single spot of that offensive line as stout as possible. Now with regards to what happened last year - yea Tyron gets hurt, you adjust but you also have to contend with the loss of a talent like Zeke. Now your entire offense, that was built on being a ball hogging, time of possession dominating offense is required to change into something else entirely. Can't really do that, especially not with a second year QB. Realistically Dak should be still carrying a clipboard and learning behind Romo, instead he is having to start and learn as he goes. Only so many adjustments you can make.

Swagger

Reaction score
Well your question was how many pro-bowlers do we need on the OL? Ask any QB in the league and they would prefer to have every single spot of that offensive line as stout as possible. Now with regards to what happened last year - yea Tyron gets hurt, you adjust but you also have to contend with the loss of a talent like Zeke. Now your entire offense, that was built on being a ball hogging, time of possession dominating offense is required to change into something else entirely. Can't really do that, especially not with a second year QB. Realistically Dak should be still carrying a clipboard and learning behind Romo, instead he is having to start and learn as he goes. Only so many adjustments you can make.

Last season Alfred Morris averaged 4.8 yards a carry (Elliott 4.1 yards a carry). Not saying Morris is better than Elliott but 4.8 yards a carry is hugely respectable and pretty much any QB in the league would be more than happy to work with that.

There are ways around keeping the ball on offense than just having to rely upon one running back.

The way I see it is that the O-Line in 2016 was just exceptional and I mean truly amazing. Prescott hardly got touched and the running game was so strong complemented by how strong the O-Line was resulting in a lot of 2nd and 3 or 3rd and 4 type scenarios as opposed to 2nd and 8 and 3rd and 4 type situations which he couldn't execute last season.

I agree ideally he would still be holding a clipboard but they went all in on him and essentially forced Romo to retire so we are left with a situation which I think will be similar to last season on offense. Stop start in a lot of games with the defense playing above their level, keeping us in games until they get gassed by having to do too much due to the offense not firing.

I think people underestimate just how amazing the O-Line was in 2016 and I include O'Leary in that as he was great in creating holes for the running game but the point is, I think Brian Hoyer would have pretty much done what Prescott did in his first season and last season was a more reflective view of his ability and production I expect going forwards.

That isn't a cheap shot etc just my personal observation and I hope that I am wrong as if i'm not then we have wasted a Superbowl window in my opinion.