Dak - What Is Your Solution?

Flamma

Reaction score
Assuming Dak is still pushing the $40M per year thing,
I let him go, or sign and trade to the Jets, along with Jaylon Smith,
for Sam Darnold and some picks and spend the extra $25M on defense.

Sam Darnold won't be under contract as of May 3rd. In fact, in order for the Jets to trade him, they'd have to pick up his 5th year option. You want to pay Darnold Transition tag money? No team will. They'll wait until he walks, then pick him up. Besides, Dak would have to want to go to the Jets. Do you think Dak wants to go to the Jets?

Ignore this post.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Flamma

Reaction score
Which teams?
Jets? Darnold is healthy and under a reasonable contract for the next year or so. Jets have second pick in the draft and can have Fields, Wilson, or Lance if they want. Put Darnold on the Cowboys last year and the Cowboys make the playoffs. Put Dak on the Jets last year and they still stink.

Skins? Dump Smith and eat $15M on cap and add a $40M QB with leg issues. Skins can sit tight at 20 and probably get Mac Jones.

Pats? I highly doubt it.

Dolphins? Just drafted Tua and have 3rd pick in draft along with another 1st. Don't see it.

Which other teams have money to burn?

Teams would rather have 4 or 5 Top FAs for the same price as Dak. And Dak isn't even healthy right now.

Not seeing it either. The Skins just quietly signed Taylor Heinicke to a 2 year, $4,750,000 contract.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL. My brain is not functioning properly this early. I'm thinking he was drafted in 2017. But even that doesn't make sense in regards to the 5th year option. I may have to switch from coffee to beer just to get my bearings straight.

LOL......it happens

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Just give him a 3 year, 40 m contract

No team can fit a 3-year $40M/year contract into the cap, especially one at $182M this year.

The signing bonus would be at least $60M and can only be spread out for the years of the contract, 3 in this case. The min cap hit would be $20M per year just for the SB. Then the remaining $60M is spread out over 3 years. You would be looking at cap hits of $21M for 2021, $49M in 2022, and $50M in 2023.

starfan1

Reaction score
My solution is to throw last years deal on table if he accepts fine if he don’t tag him

resign Dalton and use # 10 pick to draft whatever top QB is available which IMO is going to be Mac Jones and Trey Lance I think I’d rather have Jones

Use FA to get a safety and draft defense to fill out your roster

tell Dak to hit market next year . I understand Dak wants to he paid and IMO he was more valuable then some they paid but he isn’t Aaron or Patrick

he’s a top 10 qb no doubt but this is his last year in Dallas perhaps and it isn’t because Dallas don’t believe in him

he may be betting on himself one too many times

Flamma

Reaction score
My solution is to throw last years deal on table if he accepts fine if he don’t tag him

resign Dalton and use # 10 pick to draft whatever top QB is available which IMO is going to be Mac Jones and Trey Lance I think I’d rather have Jones

Use FA to get a safety and draft defense to fill out your roster

tell Dak to hit market next year . I understand Dak wants to he paid and IMO he was more valuable then some they paid but he isn’t Aaron or Patrick

he’s a top 10 qb no doubt but this is his last year in Dallas perhaps and it isn’t because Dallas don’t believe in him

he may be betting on himself one too many times

Mac Jones, yeah. Have you watched Trey Lance? I wouldn't waste a 6th rounder on him.

The problem is the Cowboys have to make a considerable amount of room just to tag Dak. They're not signing any free agents. The truth is, unless Dak gets a long term deal, there is no reason he needs to be on the team in 2021. None.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I'm going all out to try and get him signed with two deadlines in mind, March 9 and probably around April 15, two weeks before the draft. If I can't get it done by March 9, I'm franchising him and April 15 becomes my drop-dead deadline. I will then do everything possible to try and get a deal by April 15, even with short years as he wants. It's my take it or leave it offer. If he turns that down, I'm giving him and his agent permission to find a trading partner(s) targeting Jets, Dolphins, Texans but min offers have to include TWO 1st round picks. But here's the seal.......under no circumstances will he be a member of this team after the draft WITHOUT a long-term deal. Bottom line, I'm bring this to a head, one way or another by the draft. I WILL NOT RISK losing all leverage to try a get either a long-term deal or compensation after the draft.

If you franchise Dak at $37M on March 9th, Dak would sign it in one second. At that point, you are totally screwed. If Dak can’t pass a physical and ends up on PUP or worse can’t play the year, you just flushed $37M down the toilet and killed the 2021 team.

If Dak signs the $37M tag on March 9th, he can just do nothing with negotiations. Collect $37M for the year and UFA in 2022.

Tagging Dak is the worst thing to do. Let him hit the market and find out he isn’t worth squat until he can pass a physical and lower his price.

starfan1

Reaction score
Mac Jones, yeah. Have you watched Trey Lance? I wouldn't waste a 6th rounder on him.

The problem is the Cowboys have to make a considerable amount of room just to tag Dak. They're not signing any free agents. The truth is, unless Dak gets a long term deal, there is no reason he needs to be on the team in 2021. None.

not entirely true. Restructures and cuts will create enough room but the goal would be LTD and you don’t let him walk away for nothing until next year IMO. Now if he refuses to sign tag well then that’s another story

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Which teams?
Jets? Darnold is healthy and under a reasonable contract for the next year or so. Jets have second pick in the draft and can have Fields, Wilson, or Lance if they want. Put Darnold on the Cowboys last year and the Cowboys make the playoffs. Put Dak on the Jets last year and they still stink.

Skins? Dump Smith and eat $15M on cap and add a $40M QB with leg issues. Skins can sit tight at 20 and probably get Mac Jones.

Pats? I highly doubt it.

Dolphins? Just drafted Tua and have 3rd pick in draft along with another 1st. Don't see it.

Which other teams have money to burn?

Teams would rather have 4 or 5 Top FAs for the same price as Dak. And Dak isn't even healthy right now.
Chicago
Niners
Saints
Panthers
WFT
Broncos
Pats
even Dolphins and Raiders

and WFT probably would be all over Dak, given they have the defense, WR, TE and are a QB away from truly competing.

btw, how can you get 4 or 5 top FAs with 40M? is that include a QB as well. Crawford cost 9M...that's about what you are going to get....Lawrence gets 20M, Chris jones gets 21M, Mathiew got 14M... you will not be able to sign 4 or 5 top FAs with that money and still find a liable QB.....unless you settle for a loser like Dalton...your assumption is full of holes

Flamma

Reaction score
not entirely true. Restructures and cuts will create enough room but the goal would be LTD and you don’t let him walk away for nothing until next year IMO. Now if he refuses to sign tag well then that’s another story

What is LTD? Yeah restructures and cuts, but what does that accomplish? All that does is allow the Cowboys to place another tag. It does nothing else. He can dictate where he wants to go. The Cowboys do not have leverage in this area.

starfan1

Reaction score
What is LTD? Yeah restructures and cuts, but what does that accomplish? All that does is allow the Cowboys to place another tag. It does nothing else. He can dictate where he wants to go. The Cowboys do not have leverage in this area.

Long term deal and you’re not wrong. What it accomplishes is getting a qb in here this year that is familiar with offense and is top 10 in the league borderline top 5

if a deal isn’t done this year it ain’t happening this is the last shot for both sides.

meanwhile this year you plan for next year . Like I said earlier keep Dalton draft Jones .

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Chicago
Niners
Saints
Panthers
WFT
Broncos
Pats
even Dolphins and Raiders

and WFT probably would be all over Dak, given they have the defense, WR, TE and are a QB away from truly competing.

btw, how can you get 4 or 5 top FAs with 40M? is that include a QB as well. Crawford cost 9M...that's about what you are going to get....Lawrence gets 20M, Chris jones gets 21M, Mathiew got 14M... you will not be able to sign 4 or 5 top FAs with that money and still find a liable QB.....unless you settle for a loser like Dalton...your assumption is full of holes

I doubt any one of those teams would agree to the terms Daks agent is demanding. (huge contract on a short term deal with no ability to spread out the bonus to manipulate the cap)

but if they did we would have the choice of matching or collecting 2 first rd picks if we use the non-exclusive tag.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think Dak signs a long term deal or walks. I don't see a tag. I don't see a tag and trade. If Dak is asking for a 3 year deal, or a deal that guarantees him 90 million guaranteed in the first two years, Jerry has to part ways. Let the dude go. Me personally, I'd love to see Dak in Chicago.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have no leverage plus they have the well earned rep as blinkers when it comes to dealing with their stars.

They used the tag and the one thing happened that every player fears and could have been worse and may even be worse, we do not know for certain. The Cowboys went even further to the wrong side of this as fan and public sentiment went even further to Prescott.

Forget all of this elite and top 10 talk and just stop and consider how Prescott plays that position. He is Roger Staubach II in how he gives up everything to make the play. There are plenty of fans that do not make comparisons and rank the QB's, they didn't do that with Staubach. All they knew was that their QB was going down swinging until the gun sounded.

The most misguided posts on this site are the ones about Prescott padding stats. He is simply playing the position to the best of his ability and not giving in or up on any play. He will just not give up and he was the same way at Miss St. I would watch him taking chances and the game was over, no chance, but he's not quitting.

In that regard, he is just like Roger in the leadership role of the team. Guys like that never accept losing, they just ran out of time.

Who do we think those players want on the field with them?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I doubt any one of those teams would agree to the terms Daks agent is demanding. (huge contract on a short term deal with no ability to spread out the bonus to manipulate the cap)

but if they did we would have the choice of matching or collecting 2 first rd picks if we use the non-exclusive tag.
you doubt...as if you are an NFL expert....you doubt because you want to be right and argue that you are right, so you hope they don't....the facts are he is the #1 FA this off season. a QB at that.....teams will line up..

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
you doubt...as if you are an NFL expert....you doubt because you want to be right and argue that you are right, so you hope they don't....the facts are he is the #1 FA this off season. a QB at that.....teams will line up..

There is one way to find out.

Which team do you believe would want to give him a 4 year deal at near 40 per? Plus give up 2 1st rd picks?

You tell me which team you believe would do it and I will tell you why you are wrong.