Dak - What Is Your Solution?

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys have no leverage plus they have the well earned rep as blinkers when it comes to dealing with their stars.

They used the tag and the one thing happened that every player fears and could have been worse and may even be worse, we do not know for certain. The Cowboys went even further to the wrong side of this as fan and public sentiment went even further to Prescott.

Forget all of this elite and top 10 talk and just stop and consider how Prescott plays that position. He is Roger Staubach II in how he gives up everything to make the play. There are plenty of fans that do not make comparisons and rank the QB's, they didn't do that with Staubach. All they knew was that their QB was going down swinging until the gun sounded.

The most misguided posts on this site are the ones about Prescott padding stats. He is simply playing the position to the best of his ability and not giving in or up on any play. He will just not give up and he was the same way at Miss St. I would watch him taking chances and the game was over, no chance, but he's not quitting.

In that regard, he is just like Roger in the leadership role of the team. Guys like that never accept losing, they just ran out of time.

Who do we think those players want on the field with them?

Coach, forget Staubach. These Cowboys are not good. Why pay a QB on a rebuild? Makes no sense.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Chicago
Niners
Saints
Panthers
WFT
Broncos
Pats
even Dolphins and Raiders

and WFT probably would be all over Dak, given they have the defense, WR, TE and are a QB away from truly competing.

btw, how can you get 4 or 5 top FAs with 40M? is that include a QB as well. Crawford cost 9M...that's about what you are going to get....Lawrence gets 20M, Chris jones gets 21M, Mathiew got 14M... you will not be able to sign 4 or 5 top FAs with that money and still find a liable QB.....unless you settle for a loser like Dalton...your assumption is full of holes

Your list is beyond hilarious.
Saints? What planet are you living on? Have you seen the Saints’ cap situation?

Dolphins? They just drafted Tua? Are they dumping him? Dolphins could have one of the college prospects if they like. Dolphins can’t even fill a stadium pre-COVID. Yeah, the Dolphins got so much from Byron Jones that they want to multiply that mistake by 2.5.

Raiders? Dude, just stop. Carr and Mariota. Dak doesn’t have the speed to please the ghost of Al Davis. Chucky just didn’t get enough from Collins and Heath and will go for more ex-Cowboys?

Pats? Dak is not even on their radar. Unless Belichik went absolutely bonkers. They have money that is the only reason you mention them.

Not even going to waste time on 49ers, Broncos, and Panthers. Not happening.

The min cap hit for Dak in the first year of a mega contract would be around $25M. I can get probably 4 top tier FAs with low first year cap hits for that. Think WR Schuster as an example. Judon, Godwin, Robinson, Wright, Villanueva, Brissett, and others like that.

Those players you mentioned and their salaries are not their first year cap hits.

catiii

Reaction score
I don't know how you guys do it day in and day out. My solution to surviving the Dak deluge is medical grade marijuana o_O bourbon :confused: and jiffy Pop:popcorn:
Except for us poor Texans :thumbdown::( I need to ask someone in Colorado what it's like to live in a relatively free state. Maybe legalisation will happen here before I die - one of the things on my bucket list to try before I die - along with skydiving.
This is a good thread with such a variety of ideas although I have no solution.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
Spell it out. Put it in one thread.

To me there is no trade available that will keep the draft picks in hand to rebuild the defense. So it is sign Dak for me. I see him as a consistent player that can get it done if you can give him protection.

All the defense needs is to keep the opponent under 23 PPG. With the TE's, WR's, and running game, Dallas should average more than that.

I say keep Dak and let go of these silly trades. Andy Dalton is not a solution, by the way. If you pay 40m, well so what. You can ditch Zeke next year. Backload the contract if you need to. Dump Jaylon and push some of that money toward Gallup. But get this done and move on.

Now what is your plan? This is not a slander Dak thread, but your idea. I see a great deal of post attacking Dak that offer zero plans for replacing him. But these people are quick to call Dak out, but little on what they would do other than play Madden with ideas that cannot work.

Here is your shot to GM this situation. Let's see what you got.

But it is not up to us, or Jerry, is it? Dak has to agree to a deal too. And, we don't really know what Dak wants or what is holding up the contract. If Jerry is finally holding the line, it is unfortunate that he decided to start with Dak. But based on his history, I don't think it is just the money. Reports are Dak will not sign a 5 year deal. But the shorter Dak's deal, the less money Jerry can pay Dak and fit him under the CAP in 2021. Jerry needs the extra year or two to help spread out what will likely be a huge signing bonus. Do you want to tank 2021 just to fit Dak under the cap?

And the answer that Jerry should give Dak what he wants and then dump other players on the team seems irresponsible to me. Dak has not shown he is good enough to win football games by himself and certainly not without a defense.

My solution is to offer him a 6 year deal averaging about $37 million a year, which is way more than I think he is worth right now, and see what happens. If Dak is unwilling to take $37 million a year then I franchise him and trade him for the best offer I can get. I hate trying to find a QB again but it becomes a question of what Dak wants, not just what the Cowboys want. If Dak holds out so he can hit free agency in 2022, the Cowboys cannot risk losing him to free agency and getting nothing in return. The Cowboys certainly do not want to risk a team offering Dak an amount the Cowboys cannot or will not be willing to pay. People who are willing to take a 3rd round comp pick in 2023 have to remember, comp picks are rewarded for the net value of the free agents they lose. If Dallas signs a free agent while losing Dak to free agency, the comp pick with be the net difference of the two players' values. That could lower the Cowboys comp pick to a 4th or 5th. If they sign multiple free agents, they may get no comp picks at all. For me, a comp pick for Dak is hardly worth it. Either Dak signs this year or the Cowboys have to find a way to trade him.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you franchise Dak at $37M on March 9th, Dak would sign it in one second. At that point, you are totally screwed. If Dak can’t pass a physical and ends up on PUP or worse can’t play the year, you just flushed $37M down the toilet and killed the 2021 team.

If Dak signs the $37M tag on March 9th, he can just do nothing with negotiations. Collect $37M for the year and UFA in 2022.

Tagging Dak is the worst thing to do. Let him hit the market and find out he isn’t worth squat until he can pass a physical and lower his price.

Yes, tagging Gimpo simply leaves the team open for disaster scenarios from the Cap to what you describe in your post!

Creeper

Reaction score
I'll be Dak:

"Cool. I won't sign the franchise tag and you can decide to release me before July 15th or pay me $37 million and I'll leave next year. You can keep your take-it-or-leave-it offer and you can't trade me if I don't sign the tag. My agent and I don't have to do a thing. Draft whoever you like. Later, guys."

See above.

Sitting out a year after a serious injury is going to hurt Dak's value on the free agent market IMO. I also think it will turn off some teams who will think he is difficult to deal with and only wants the money. Le' Veon Bell sat out a year after refusing to sign his franchise tag and wound up getting less money when he returned than the Steelers offered him. Of course Dak could feel he is different but what team is going to pay him what he wants after he hadn't played in almost 2 years?

I am not saying he can't sit out the year, won't sit out the year, or threaten to sit out the year, but there is great risk in doing so and he knows it. Personally, I don't think it would be a good move for Dak to sit out the year. Before he does that he would demand a trade I think.

Silly

Reaction score
I don't know how the contracts work. But it seems to me that Dak wants a shorter contract so he will be able to hit Jerry up for another big pay day in the future. With the longevity of QBS in the modern NFL, maybe 2 big pay days.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Spell it out. Put it in one thread.

To me there is no trade available that will keep the draft picks in hand to rebuild the defense. So it is sign Dak for me. I see him as a consistent player that can get it done if you can give him protection.

All the defense needs is to keep the opponent under 23 PPG. With the TE's, WR's, and running game, Dallas should average more than that.

I say keep Dak and let go of these silly trades. Andy Dalton is not a solution, by the way. If you pay 40m, well so what. You can ditch Zeke next year. Backload the contract if you need to. Dump Jaylon and push some of that money toward Gallup. But get this done and move on.

Now what is your plan? This is not a slander Dak thread, but your idea. I see a great deal of post attacking Dak that offer zero plans for replacing him. But these people are quick to call Dak out, but little on what they would do other than play Madden with ideas that cannot work.

Here is your shot to GM this situation. Let's see what you got.

Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag him
Let him see what his market value is and wait for contract offers...

If a trade happens get the 2 firsts and trade him.

Then you need a new QB: Sign Dalton or someone who is able to get a bridge done.

Draft your franchise QB in 2022.

If no trade happens, play him in 2021 and let him go in 2022. Dont give him a contract.

catiii

Reaction score

Dolphins? They just drafted Tua? Are they dumping him? Dolphins could have one of the college prospects if they like. Dolphins can’t even fill a stadium pre-COVID. Yeah, the Dolphins got so much from Byron Jones that they want to multiply that mistake by 2.5.

Raiders? Dude, just stop. Carr and Mariota. Dak doesn’t have the speed to please the ghost of Al Davis. Chucky just didn’t get enough from Collins and Heath and will go for more ex-Cowboys?

Pats? Dak is not even on their radar. Unless Belichik went absolutely bonkers. They have money that is the only reason you mention them.

The min cap hit for Dak in the first year of a mega contract would be around $25M. I can get probably 4 top tier FAs with low first year cap hits for that. Think WR Schuster as an example. Judon, Godwin, Robinson, Wright, Villanueva, Brissett, and others like that.

Those players you mentioned and their salaries are not their first year cap hits.
All I care about is the Saintsations :omg::grin:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
The draft capital you would need to spend to get one of the top QB's would take away any chance as reloading defense. Money can be managed, regardless of what the "experts" on this site think.

Giving away draft picks cannot be managed.
well that would make sense if i said to give away picks. and in a rebuilding phase, you look at a lot of things so i'd not just run out and get the qb behind door #2.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Miami isn't so happy about Tua, and there are grumblings and they were linked to trading for Watson.....AZ drafted a QB top of the first round one year, only to trade him the next and move on....

Mariotta!!! laughable.....he is a bust already....

there are rumors that Raiders are ready to move on from Carr....

and like I said, those teams would talk to Dak's agent. and one of those teams would sign him in a heartbeat....

you are blind if you think Dak doesn't have a market, its your anger and hatred towards him that's blinding you.....when a top FA QB hits the market, one that's top 10...you jump on it..

KB1122

Reaction score
Option #1: Trade for Rodgers or Wilson, if possible.
Option #2: Use the franchise tag on Dak (if healthy); draft Zack Wilson, or the top qb prospect that you like the most. You have four extra picks this year, so trade up, if necessary. Don't take the dude who falls to you, unless that's the guy you really want.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There is one way to find out.

Which team do you believe would want to give him a 4 year deal at near 40 per? Plus give up 2 1st rd picks?

You tell me which team you believe would do it and I will tell you why you are wrong.
? not sure if your assumption and question is relevant.... is anyone going to trade for Wilson? he has a 35M tag. is anyone going to trade for Watson? he has a 40M tag.....Rams just traded two firsts for Stafford, who is 33 and has been injured two years in a row and has a bad back. you want to tell me there is no market for a top 10 QB? really?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Option #1: Trade for Rodgers or Wilson, if possible.
Option #2: Use the franchise tag on Dak (if healthy); draft Zack Wilson, or the top qb prospect that you like the most. You have four extra picks this year, so trade up, if necessary. Don't take the dude who falls to you, unless that's the guy you really want.
WTTF was this post...you think Rodgers would agree to come to Dallas? why? he is 38. how many more years does he have? would he want to play for McCarthy again...seriously...

what is wilson going to do with this team? the offense is not the problem.....and Wilson is playing on a team, that sucks defensively.....and he got to the playoffs and lost. in fact, without the vaunted defense he has been 1-3 in the playoffs.

and are you sure about Zach Wilson. every year people swear by this QB and that QB and most turn into trash.....ok, maybe some turn into average......and are you sure Wilson is going to drop to 10th?
the first round picks are premium picks. that's where you find talent.....the extra picks are 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th rounders.....what do you expect to find in that part of the draft that would make a difference on this defense and be impactful..

geez people

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
My solution is to throw last years deal on table if he accepts fine if he don’t tag him

resign Dalton and use # 10 pick to draft whatever top QB is available which IMO is going to be Mac Jones and Trey Lance I think I’d rather have Jones

Use FA to get a safety and draft defense to fill out your roster

tell Dak to hit market next year . I understand Dak wants to he paid and IMO he was more valuable then some they paid but he isn’t Aaron or Patrick

he’s a top 10 qb no doubt but this is his last year in Dallas perhaps and it isn’t because Dallas don’t believe in him

he may be betting on himself one too many times
so you like to gamble. why don't you take all your money out of your 401K, go to vegas and put it on number 10....you will be a millionaire (if it hits).....else you are back at square 1.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you franchise Dak at $37M on March 9th, Dak would sign it in one second. At that point, you are totally screwed. If Dak can’t pass a physical and ends up on PUP or worse can’t play the year, you just flushed $37M down the toilet and killed the 2021 team.

If Dak signs the $37M tag on March 9th, he can just do nothing with negotiations. Collect $37M for the year and UFA in 2022.

Tagging Dak is the worst thing to do. Let him hit the market and find out he isn’t worth squat until he can pass a physical and lower his price.
are you sure he is going to sign it in 1 second. willing to put a bet on that? how sure are you?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't know how the contracts work. But it seems to me that Dak wants a shorter contract so he will be able to hit Jerry up for another big pay day in the future. With the longevity of QBS in the modern NFL, maybe 2 big pay days.
that's why most of these otehr QBs took slightly lesser deals, a little early, while still under previous contract so they hit 2024 as FA, where the cap is expected to go up by 20-25%......

there is about to be some totally ridicullous contracts handed out to Allen and few others so they can make it 5 year deals, knowing 2023, cap ballons up and the teams have to account for that...

Flamma

Reaction score
who is that?

He'll be their starter come 2021. I only saw a little of him. The only thing I can say is that I expected him to look much worse than he did. What little I saw was at the very least an upgrade from Alex Smith. I'm guessing Smith will be released.