Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Jones, 2XCollins, Beasley, Brown. Who are you keeping?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
All this talk of Cap Space is folly. Dallas has so many 3,4,5 year players that are going to get paid. The reality is Dallas has next to no Cap Space if they look to sign their own guys. 2019 - Only Beasley and Lawrence need new contracts. 2020 is rough because lots of impact players are due.

The narrative out of Dallas was that this was one of the youngest teams to make the playoffs ever. They broadcast that to keep the fan base hooked. The reality is they can't keep all of their impact players. Too many big contracts will need to be handed out over the next couple years. This is why I think they need a better coach. That they were not able to take advantage of a 4th round contract starting QB is a big crime.

For my money - Beasley is absolutely a goner. I would also get ready for life without Zeke.

DezNuts

Reaction score
Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Lawrence, Jaylon. The rest are replaceable. Took Jones out. Hes not a game changer that im willing to give big money to, you can find guys like Awuzie in the draft to do the same job and those are gonna be the tough decisions the Cowboys make. These guys alone are gonna account for around 80-90 million on the cap yikes.

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Lawrence, Jaylon. The rest are replaceable. Took Jones out. Hes not a game changer that im willing to give big money to, you can find guys like Awuzie in the draft to do the same job and those are gonna be the tough decisions the Cowboys make. These guys alone are gonna account for around 80-90 million on the cap yikes.

Exactly. It is an issue. 2020 is particularly rough and I doubt that Dak and Zeke are going to be happy playing next season at their current salaries.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score

Agree. I was all in on resigning Byron but he was trash after November. Let him go after next year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dak, Zeke, Cooper and Lawrence are going to get $75m at least.

The good thing is the cap is going to go up another 20-something million in the next two years, so they're still not really in any cap trouble. They just need to hit in the draft to replace depth players like Wilson, Brown, etc. Re-signing them is where they can get in trouble.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All this talk of Cap Space is folly. Dallas has so many 3,4,5 year players that are going to get paid. The reality is Dallas has next to no Cap Space if they look to sign their own guys. 2019 - Only Beasley and Lawrence need new contracts. 2020 is rough because lots of impact players are due.

The narrative out of Dallas was that this was one of the youngest teams to make the playoffs ever. They broadcast that to keep the fan base hooked. The reality is they can't keep all of their impact players. Too many big contracts will need to be handed out over the next couple years. This is why I think they need a better coach. That they were not able to take advantage of a 4th round contract starting QB is a big crime.

For my money - Beasley is absolutely a goner. I would also get ready for life without Zeke.

Posting a thread about the salary cap without ANY attempt to look at the actual numbers is Lame.

So you have a "gut feeling" that they'll have cap issues...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Try to keep in mind that while contracts like Lawrence and Dak are going up, contracts like Lee, Hurns, Terrance Williams, and Crawford are moving out.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Posting a thread about the salary cap without ANY attempt to look at the actual numbers is Lame.

So you have a "gut feeling" that they'll have cap issues...

Here we go...There always has to be a moron. I did look at the data. I like "spotrac". This was intended to be a discussion. Stop being a tool.

https://www.spotrac.com/

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Its why the fan base is flat after the loss to the Rams, not just because we lost the game, but because now was the time to win if you look at it from an economics point of view.
Without looking it up, Dak was what, about 750k this year?
With this current coaching staff, and resigning Dak to a 20 mil plus per season contract, even the blind can see the dam is about to break.
I don't want to turn this into another love/hate Dak thread, but I would rather make an economics decision and dip back into the draft for another QB at this point.
I like Dak, don't love him, but I want to absolutely love my 25 million dollar a year franchise QB.
We draft really well, so if we were to let Dak leave, might as well cut bait with Zeke to.
Keep investing in the defense, and draft for the offense, because I don't see Jones making any radical coaching staff changes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Out of the free agents Lawrence I would make priority to sign. Others depending on asking price would determine if they sign at a lower salary. I think a guy like L.P. Ladouceur could be resigned as our long snapper at a reasonable salary. Collins is not a FA this year so I would likely wait on him. Zeke and Dak are not FA but I'm sure these are a couple Dallas would like to get a deal done in advance but again if negotiation are not fruitful the team can wait until they actually become Free Agents.

Again I think some of the lower end FA this year could very well be resigned at a modest salary

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If I had a replacement for Dak, I'm letting him walk. But we don't so we keep him but don't give him a mega contract.
I admire Dak; I just don't think he puts us over the top. Zeke? Yes. Amari? Yes. Dak? No.
Lawrence? I'm iffy on. He tailed off at the end. I'd probably franchise him, if possible.
Jones? I'm iffy on him too. I really think Jourdan Lewis is a player, and if he started, he'd have more interceptions than, definitely, Jones. Some guys just have a knack of intercepting the ball, and he's one of them.
Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to keep everyone. I'm just disappointed that we didn't take advantage of this "all world" offensive line that is now showing its age and injuries (including Frederick's illness).
We have wasted our talent. I keep hearing Cowboys fans always talking about how we need to add this or add that, but no team is complete. Actually, the last Super Bowl team that was stacked on both offense and defense is the 90s Cowboys. No other team since has been as talented, and yet there's a Super Bowl winner every year.
We've had a so-call dominate offensive line in the mold of the Hogs (Commanders), the Giants line 80s, the Raiders of the 70s, and we couldn't take advantage of it.
We have a good enough team to go to the Super Bowl. Stop all the "our defense isn't any good" crap.
Our COACHING is not good. When your opponents know what you're going to do before you do it, then something's wrong with COACHING!
When you can't adjust to a defense flooding the box and take advantage of your passing game, something's wrong with the quarterback or/and the COACHING!
We're likely going to be here 5 years from now talking about how we're 2 players away from a Super Bowl while other less talented teams will be winning Super Bowls.
It's just sicking. But, hey, I'm a Cowboys fan. I'm not going anywhere. I'm long-suffering. :rolleyes:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If I had a replacement for Dak, I'm letting him walk. But we don't so we keep him but don't give him a mega contract.
I admire Dak; I just don't think he puts us over the top. Zeke? Yes. Amari? Yes. Dak? No.
Lawrence? I'm iffy on. He tailed off at the end. I'd probably franchise him, if possible.
Jones? I'm iffy on him too. I really think Jourdan Lewis is a player, and if he started, he'd have more interceptions than, definitely, Jones. Some guys just have a knack of intercepting the ball, and he's one of them.
Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to keep everyone. I'm just disappointed that we didn't take advantage of this "all world" offensive line that is now showing its age and injuries (including Frederick's illness).
We have wasted our talent. I keep hearing Cowboys fans always talking about how we need to add this or add that, but no team is complete. Actually, the last Super Bowl team that was stacked on both offense and defense is the 90s Cowboys. No other team since has been as talented, and yet there's a Super Bowl winner every year.
We've had a so-call dominate offensive line in the mold of the Hogs (Commanders), the Giants line 80s, the Raiders of the 70s, and we couldn't take advantage of it.
We have a good enough team to go to the Super Bowl. Stop all the "our defense isn't any good" crap.
Our COACHING is not good. When your opponents know what you're going to do before you do it, then something's wrong with COACHING!
When you can't adjust to a defense flooding the box and take advantage of your passing game, something's wrong with the quarterback or/and the COACHING!
We're likely going to be here 5 years from now talking about how we're 2 players away from a Super Bowl while other less talented teams will be winning Super Bowls.
It's just sicking. But, hey, I'm a Cowboys fan. I'm not going anywhere. I'm long-suffering. :rolleyes:
None of those guys put us over the top otherwise we’d be over the top lol.

Creeper

Reaction score
If they release Hurns and Lee they will have about $65 million in cap space this year. Also, any cap room they don't use in 2019 they can roll over into 2020. Next year they are projected to have well over $100 million in cap space although, as you mentioned, they have a lot of players who will be unsigned. Using cap space wisely is the key and it can be done. Look at the Eagles roster. Somehow they managed to fill their roster with quality players on both sides of the ball and still fit everyone under the cap. They will do it again in 2019 and 2020. Of course the Eagles don't have Jerry managing their cap.

Hopefully the Cowboys have an idea of what they want to do over the next 3 years with their players. Planning this out long term is the only way to do it right.

I think Jerry will re-sign Zeke. I would be cautious about how much money if commit to him, especially in 3 or 4 years. Its signing players whose careers don't last as long as their contracts that has gotten Jerry in trouble with the cap before. RBs do not have long shelf life. Zeke is already taking himself out of a lot of plays to rest and he is not breaking off the long runs for TDs anymore. Against the Seahawks he ran out of bounds instead of going all the way and that is not like the Zeke was saw as a rookie. The Cowboys should have a better handle on where Zeke is physically than me so I hope they choose wisely what to do.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
One can always tell the off season has approached The Zone with stupid threads as this. A fan that knows his team obviously reads about them. It's no secret Dallas is releasing Beasley. But to even suggest the rest of the players mentioned is just pure ignorance or just plain hate.

DezNuts

Reaction score
Exactly. It is an issue. 2020 is particularly rough and I doubt that Dak and Zeke are going to be happy playing next season at their current salaries.

Yup. Word is Zeke wants a new contract now and i'm guessing Dak will as well.

Just a rough estimate here so don't crucify me if the numbers look off, But If we cut Lee and Hurns we will have around 60 million in space to play with this year. Lets say Dak, Zeke and Lawrence get new deals. 22 for Dak, 15 for Zeke and 17.5 for Lawrence.

That leaves about 14 million in cap space this year. 2020 I'd estimate roughly around 50 million with those extensions + Amari and cap hits creeping higher.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
He’s a average player to a moron.
Nice. If you have so much hate for our young talented QB, than don't watch him. Sitting behind a keyboard name calling a professional NFL player shows everyone just how ignorant & immature you really are. :rolleyes:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
One can always tell the off season has approached The Zone with stupid threads as this. A fan that knows his team obviously reads about them. It's no secret Dallas is releasing Beasley. But to even suggest the rest of the players mentioned is just pure ignorance or just plain hate.

You know you are an idiot, right?