Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Jones, 2XCollins, Beasley, Brown. Who are you keeping?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Dak, Zeke and Cooper will need to agree to a discount for a few reasons, keeping the team competitive. Competitive teams lead to more endorsements. Thats where the big money comes from. A competitive team equates to winning, equates to playing for titles. Or you can be like Aaron Rodgers have a bloated salary and with nothing around him.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
All this talk of Cap Space is folly. Dallas has so many 3,4,5 year players that are going to get paid. The reality is Dallas has next to no Cap Space if they look to sign their own guys. 2019 - Only Beasley and Lawrence need new contracts. 2020 is rough because lots of impact players are due.

The narrative out of Dallas was that this was one of the youngest teams to make the playoffs ever. They broadcast that to keep the fan base hooked. The reality is they can't keep all of their impact players. Too many big contracts will need to be handed out over the next couple years. This is why I think they need a better coach. That they were not able to take advantage of a 4th round contract starting QB is a big crime.

For my money - Beasley is absolutely a goner. I would also get ready for life without Zeke.

I agree. The whole young thing isn't so simple. It really comes down to how much talent you can afford. If you have a rookie All Pro, you know you'll be set at that position for a few years before a new contract comes up. If you have a bunch of young All Pros on the last year of their rookie deals, you can't assume you'll have a bright future because you might lose most of those guys the next year. Sometimes a team of vets is your best bet because you get a lot of affordable talent for the short term. The guys who usually get overpaid the most are the 26 year olds on their second contract.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Nice. If you have so much hate for our young talented QB, than don't watch him. Sitting behind a keyboard name calling a professional NFL player shows everyone just how ignorant & immature you really are. :rolleyes:
I think you misunderstood what he was saying. He wasnt calling Dak a moron, he said those that think Dak is average are morons...... And he is right

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
The only benefits to negotiating Zeke, Smith and jones this offseason is if
a) you KNOW you want them long term and
b) you CAN get a better deal now, neither of which I'm convinced of.

Everyone on that list other than Lawrence is under contract at least in 2019, with many of them under contract for 2020 as well. Certainly you pick and choose which ones you keep and make hard decisions, but the only true priority is Lawrence. Then you consider who you WANT to sign this offseason,a nd use remaining money to get free agents who can help.

In my view, the team has a window next season and maybe in 2020 for a championship, it is time to leverage resources and strike by building the absolute best roster you can.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I agree. The whole young thing isn't so simple. It really comes down to how much talent you can afford. If you have a rookie All Pro, you know you'll be set at that position for a few years before a new contract comes up. If you have a bunch of young All Pros on the last year of their rookie deals, you can't assume you'll have a bright future because you might lose most of those guys the next year. Sometimes a team of vets is your best bet because you get a lot of affordable talent for the short term. The guys who usually get overpaid the most are the 26 year olds on their second contract.

I wanna add on to my previous post. I think we're making a mistake with this "only young talent" philosophy. The key is to acquire as much talent as possible. There are 3 guys in this league:

1) Rookies, Age: 22-26, Pros: Speed and athleticism, Cons: Inexperience, Cost: Cheap.

2) Young vets, Age: 26-30, Pros: Complete package, Cons: See cost, Cost: Very expensive.

3) Old vets, Age: 30+, Pros: Experience and leadership, Cons: Over the hill, Cost: Fairly cheap.

You need a mix of all three. Too many rookies, you lose to a more experienced team. Too many old vets, you lose to a faster team. Too many expensive vets, you lose to a deeper team.

People call Bill Bellichick a genius for cutting ties with stars who demand a huge second contract, but he'd usually replace them with a mix of vets and rookies. We try to bank on our luck in the draft every year. We're not gonna get lucky enough to replace every Sean Lee with a LVE.

coult44

Reaction score
Dak, Zeke, Cooper and Lawrence are going to get $75m at least.

The good thing is the cap is going to go up another 20-something million in the next two years, so they're still not really in any cap trouble. They just need to hit in the draft to replace depth players like Wilson, Brown, etc. Re-signing them is where they can get in trouble.

Also don't forget that there will most likely be huge work stoppage in 21. This is going to effect the cap in a huge way. We could go the whole season without NFL football.

Swanny

Reaction score
All this talk of Cap Space is folly. Dallas has so many 3,4,5 year players that are going to get paid. The reality is Dallas has next to no Cap Space if they look to sign their own guys. 2019 - Only Beasley and Lawrence need new contracts. 2020 is rough because lots of impact players are due.

The narrative out of Dallas was that this was one of the youngest teams to make the playoffs ever. They broadcast that to keep the fan base hooked. The reality is they can't keep all of their impact players. Too many big contracts will need to be handed out over the next couple years. This is why I think they need a better coach. That they were not able to take advantage of a 4th round contract starting QB is a big crime.

For my money - Beasley is absolutely a goner. I would also get ready for life without Zeke.
Cooper, Dak and Smith

davidariust24

Reaction score
Dak, Zeke, Cooper and Lawrence are going to get $75m at least.

The good thing is the cap is going to go up another 20-something million in the next two years, so they're still not really in any cap trouble. They just need to hit in the draft to replace depth players like Wilson, Brown, etc. Re-signing them is where they can get in trouble.
There is no reason to pay Zeke yet he has two more years.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Dak’s 2018 full salary was about 30,000$ more then Jimmy Garappolo’s offseason workout bonus.

If they make him play for minimum wage again next year, that would be absolutely criminal. He’s due NOW.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I just took a dump that was smarter than the idiot that started this thread.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sign Zeke-Dlaw-Cooper-......Give Dak next season to PROVE he's worth the big bucks as a QB not just another HB or bus driver ....No way Dak holds out as he's worried he might be shown up by the back up QB Rush or whoever that might be come next season.
Beasley is gone.
Good chance we will be moving up in the 2020 draft to sign our new Franchise QB.....That's all for now....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lawrence is going to be a mistake. He'll be signed like one of the best DEs. Won't play like it.

Injury history the last 3 years. Faded in the back half of 2017 and 2018. Laid an egg in both playoff games. Good player. His price will be significantly more than his value.

Taco doing nothing for 2 years really hurt us. He should have given us the option to move on from Lawrence. He should have been starter quality for next year, at least. Now we're caught short if we want to move on from Lawrence.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Sign Zeke-Dlaw-Cooper-......Give Dak next season to PROVE he's worth the big bucks as a QB not just another HB or bus driver ....No way Dak holds out as he's worried he might be shown up by the back up QB Rush or whoever that might be come next season.

Dak holds out without a new contract. His agent shouldn't let him play for 720k when he would lock in 10s of millions in free agency come 2020.

We should extend Dak 1 year, splitting franchise value across two years, making it guaranteed. We avoid a hold out. Dak locks in some money. Win-win.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lawrence is going to be a mistake. He'll be signed like one of the best DEs. Won't play like it.

Injury history the last 3 years. Faded in the back half of 2017 and 2018. Laid an egg in both playoff games. Good player. His price will be significantly more than his value.

Taco doing nothing for 2 years really hurt us. He should have given us the option to move on from Lawrence. He should have been starter quality for next year, at least. Now we're caught short if we want to move on from Lawrence.

The only True force we have on the defensive line and you want to let him go. Dude is doubled pretty much every play as there is not other threat like him on our def line.
Taco is a Bust.....or average at best.
Funny thing is not everyone is going to fit the re-sign Bus come this off-season and its gonna be a very interesting how JJ handles this dilemma...

P.S. Like musical chairs who will be left without a place at the table?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The only True force we have on the defensive line and you want to let him go. Dude is doubled pretty much every play as there is not other threat like him on our def line.
Taco is a Bust.....or average at best.
Funny thing is not everyone is going to fit the re-sign Bus come this off-season and its gonna be a very interesting how JJ handles this dilemma...

P.S. Like musical chairs who will be left without a place at the table?

Lawrence was the best dlineman this year. Also far and away the most expensive. I already went through the red flags. I don't think he'll be worth the money.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak holds out without a new contract. His agent shouldn't let him play for 720k when he would lock in 10s of millions in free agency come 2020.

We should extend Dak 1 year, splitting franchise value across two years, making it guaranteed. We avoid a hold out. Dak locks in some money. Win-win.

Dak holding out LOL....ya you can forget about that one as that's not going to happen....Trust me Dak knows better than us how over his head this most prestige's job he holds currently....Dak wont sit out a single game in 3 years and you think hes got the B@@@@ to hold out LOL...:laugh:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

DAL is 75m to 90m under the cap this year

The only big deals they have due are DLaw and maybe Beasley

Dak, Zeke, Cooper and BJones are under contract

Any deals with be next year when we are 120m under the cap and they will be staggered to hit farther down the road

Lee, Crawford and Collins will be gone soon enough

There are NO WORRIES at all with the cap , now or next year..... then a new CBA will be in play after 2020