Twitter: Dak's stats vs Top 5 Scoring defenses

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So I guess you are a fan of defenses that play bend but don’t break and let you rack up yards against them as opposed to defenses that actually get turnovers and limit you from scoring?
I support the official NFL ranking system.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What is the likelihood of a teams scoring defense being made up of nothing but special teams points? Highly unlikely.
Turnovers which can lead to additional points which isn’t reflective of a defense with shortened fields. Same as with special teams.

Basically if you’re recognizing scoring defenses as #1 then you are rewriting NFL history and all of the great defenses.

Hadenough

Reaction score
An ex NFL player stated stats are for losers and you can twist them to make anyone look good. The thing about Dak is he can play a lousy 3 quarters of football with 100 yds passing and leave his defense out on the field way too much and they get worn down and then he will suddenly come to life in the 4th quarter and put up 200 yds passing. The Cowboys lose but unless you saw the game you dont realize Dak was a big part of the problem.
Dak when he is hot can play top 10 football but when hes cold can play like a backup. I hate to beat this into the ground but against these better defenses that were going to see I suspect Dak will be holding the ball too long because the coverage is tighter and he wont get the 2-3 yds of separation he likes. He is going to have to settle for the 1 to 1.5 yds of separation and make more accurate throws. He will have to take chances.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well of course you do. But I’d rather my team score the most or limit the least amount of points then I would yards. What good is yards if you are allowing points? Or if you aren’t scoring points?
Obviously you’re not getting it. Thankfully the NFL does.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Obviously you’re not getting it. Thankfully the NFL does.
Oh no I’m getting it. Look let’s don’t play stupid here.

I’m not even a fan of all of these different facts and statistics in order to prove Dak is a good quarterback. I feel it’s unnecessary. But I get why people do it. They do it to make people like you and the rest of your ilk look stupid for your opinion. And it works. But I don’t need to break down stats to make Dak look good. We see it with our own two eyes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh no I’m getting it. Look let’s don’t play stupid here.

I’m not even a fan of all of these different facts and statistics in order to prove Dak is a good quarterback. I feel it’s unnecessary. But I get why people do it. They do it to make people like you and the rest of your ilk look stupid for your opinion. And it works. But I don’t need to break down stats to make Dak look good. We see it with our own two eyes.
Don’t lump me into the rest. He’s had a much better season this year so far. And he obviously has many assets and weaknesses.

But there is always room for criticism. I’ve called out those on both extremes from haters to sloberrers who are as overly sensitive as the haters are ridiculous.

I’m just calling out a stat that it’s intent is to present a more favorable narrative . And I stand by it.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I hate to beat this into the ground but against these better defenses that were going to see I suspect Dak will be holding the ball too long because the coverage is tighter and he wont get the 2-3 yds of separation he likes. He is going to have to settle for the 1 to 1.5 yds of separation and make more accurate throws. He will have to take chances.
Don't know where you're getting your separation numbers, but Dak leads the NFL in Completion Percentage Over Expectation. That's a stat based on receiver separation, QB pressures, and depth of target. It's a 100% objective measure, as it comes from chip data -- no opinions included. His protection has been good for the most part, so for him to lead the league in this stat, that means he's throwing deeper passes than the norm, into tighter windows than the norm.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#completionPercentageAboveExpectation

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
they are headed that way

crunched some numbers on JG as HC ... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GarrJa0.htm

if you average the ranks in each year as HC ...
in all categories (O or D) his team's have been best at fumbles recovered and worst at getting INTs
they hit hard, but do not play the ball well, for example, so far in 2019 they are 3rd in FR, and 24th in INTs

as of now they are a very balanced team, 5th in points on O, 5th in points allowed on D, 3rd in net points overall

so yeah they're top 5

I'll lay money they finish top 5 in net points, and top 5 in both O and D scoring in 2019
Good post, but I disagree...

Sam Darnold looked like Brett Favre against this defense. Aaron Jones looked like Prime LT against this defense. Top 5 defenses dont let Sam Darnold and Aaron Jones beat them.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So he has his bad games against bad defenses?

Its been a combination. Dak went through a slump where he was playing like crap regardless of opponent. But that slump has been over for a while now.

I also wouldn’t call any defense ranked 6-12 a “bad” defense.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Points per Drive >>>>> Opponents points per game

Right now, Dallas is ranked 5th in points per game. We all know that this defense isnt top 5 or anywhere close to it

I agree.

Now if they can force turnovers the way they have the last 2 games. That will change.

I don’t have confidence that will happen though.

Pants

Reaction score
nothing like a "Dak" thread to bring about Cowboy fans turning on each other - geez louise, the people taking shots at each other.....

IMO, DAK is a leader and this team respects him. He is not the best pure passer in the league...he has had to deal with Linehan/Garrett for a long time...he did not have a true #1 receiver before Coop (these are some negatives)

Fast-forward to now: when Garrett stays away from Moore and the offense, and when Coop is healthy, this offense clicks pretty well; a LOT of that is because of Dak and also Moore putting players in position to being successful...I don't care AT ALL who Dallas plays but keep in mind, when Dallas puts up 37 on someone (just an example from last week), those points go against the scoring defense stats - so if you took Dallas out of those numbers, presumably those other teams are STILL top 5? w/e, I am enjoying watching the team right now and I wish...nay, I PRAY that Garrett is kicked up in the FO (Jones will never, ever fire him) and they bring in a true HC at some point - but the team is built around Dak - get behind it, or move on