Dallas chances for a SB? How I look at it

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I always have thought and said to find out how good your team is. Look at past great teams and see if any of the guys you have now would replace any guys you had then. I looked at head coach-assistant coaches- to the last starting player. And I came up with a wash. By talent -pound for pound. I don't see anybody replacing any coach or player we had in the 90's. I doubt if any could replace some of the 70 guys. So where is all this so called talent? Now if we debate the 70's versus 90 teams? The debate is on....Thoughts please.

Last edited:

Proof

Reaction score
I always have thought and said to find out how good your team is. Look at past great teams and see if any of the guys you have now would replace any guys you had then. I looked at head coach-assistant coaches- to the last starting player. And I came up with a wash. By talent -pound for pound. I don't see anybody replacing any coach or player we had in the 90's. I doubt if any could replace some of the 70 guys. So where is all this so called talent? Now if we debate the 70's versus 90 teams? The debate is on....Thoughts please.

interesting thought exercise, but you're comparing an uncapped era to a capped era, and pro-bowlers and all-pros to HOF guys. Our 90's teams are arguably the greatest of all time, so not being 'better' isn't exactly a knock.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Here's how I see the Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl chances....oh wait. I don't see them. Because they are non-existent. Maybe if they cleaned up the mistakes and locker room problems/morale we would have a great chance since we have a very talented roster from top to bottom, but I'm afraid that might take longer than the time we have left in the season to do that.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
There's no way that's an effective way of assessing a given team's chances of making/winning a SB. Although, it is a fun exercise.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not just the Cowboys but I don't see any teams that stack up against the 60's Packers, 70's Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers or Vikings, 80's Niners or the 90's Cowboys, Bills and Niners.

For all of the larger in size, faster afoot and stronger players, I do not see many players that are standouts today as standouts back then. And the players today seem to get injured a lot more and a lot easier but back then players would get sent back out <100%.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys are not dominant at the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball this year. The 1990s teams were dominant on the offensive line, and I mean really dominant. They were strong on the defensive front too. I don't think this team comes close to the Cowboys 1993 SuperBowl roster on either side of the ball. As some have pointed out the league is different now with Free Agency so we can't expect them to be good at every position. I get it. But to win a SB you have to win the battles up front. This teams barely wins those battles when they are healthy or they don't win them, like they did against NO. But they are also not healthy. Tyron Smith is injured - again. Collins is injured now with back and knee problems. Frederick is still recovering from GB syndrome and Zack Martin has a bad back. Connor Williams is healthy but the weakest link despite his good health.
On defense. There is no Haley, Leon Lett (1995), Tony Casillas, Russell Maryland, or even Jimmy Jones or Jim Jeffcoat. We may have a Tony Tolbert in DLaw. But there is no depth compared to the 1993 team.

The way the Saints, Rams, Packers and even the Giants handled our defensive front I do not see how they get to the playoffs with their schedule, forget about the Super Bowl.

Now let's talk about coaching. Let's face it any year the Cowboys get to the playoffs, Jason Garrett is by far the worst coach among the playoff teams. Jimmy Johnson was among the best.

And how about General Managers? Jimmy > Jerry. Period.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
animalhouse-grades.jpg

75boyz

Reaction score
The Cowboys are not dominant at the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball this year. The 1990s teams were dominant on the offensive line, and I mean really dominant. They were strong on the defensive front too. I don't think this team comes close to the Cowboys 1993 SuperBowl roster on either side of the ball. As some have pointed out the league is different now with Free Agency so we can't expect them to be good at every position. I get it. But to win a SB you have to win the battles up front. This teams barely wins those battles when they are healthy or they don't win them, like they did against NO. But they are also not healthy. Tyron Smith is injured - again. Collins is injured now with back and knee problems. Frederick is still recovering from GB syndrome and Zack Martin has a bad back. Connor Williams is healthy but the weakest link despite his good health.
On defense. There is no Haley, Leon Lett (1995), Tony Casillas, Russell Maryland, or even Jimmy Jones or Jim Jeffcoat. We may have a Tony Tolbert in DLaw. But there is no depth compared to the 1993 team.

The way the Saints, Rams, Packers and even the Giants handled our defensive front I do not see how they get to the playoffs with their schedule, forget about the Super Bowl.

Now let's talk about coaching. Let's face it any year the Cowboys get to the playoffs, Jason Garrett is by far the worst coach among the playoff teams. Jimmy Johnson was among the best.

And how about General Managers? Jimmy > Jerry. Period.

Nice post, especially the d line comparison. Spot on.