Dallas could lose revenue if no fans in the stands for games

12+88=7

Reaction score
Just read that according to Forbes, in 2018 Dallas pulled in 950 million dollars in revenue.

621 million of this revenue or 65.4% was for 10 home games. This was tickets, parking, concessions, sponsors, and team merchandise.

The 621 million was nearly double of the next team New England. If there are no fans for games this year Dallas will stand to lose an enormous amount of revenue.

This is my speculation, but this maybe a reason why the Prescott negotiations have not been completed. Maybe Dallas will let Prescott play on the tag because that's a known expenditure. Dallas is unsure of future revenue so they are holding off till the future becomes clearer before committing to such a large amount of guaranteed monies.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just read that according to Forbes, in 2018 Dallas pulled in 950 million dollars in revenue.

621 million of this revenue or 65.4% was for 10 home games. This was tickets, parking, concessions, sponsors, and team merchandise.

The 621 million was nearly double of the next team New England. If there are no fans for games this year Dallas will stand to lose an enormous amount of revenue.

This is my speculation, but this maybe a reason why the Prescott negotiations have not been completed. Maybe Dallas will let Prescott play on the tag because that's a known expenditure. Dallas is unsure of future revenue so they are holding off till the future becomes clearer before committing to such a large amount of guaranteed monies.
A reasonable point here...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those $9 beers and $13 hamburgers can add up that is for sure. Game day programs as well, merchandise and souvenirs.

But tickets and parking is already paid for by most season ticket holders. It is a matter how they refund those amounts.
They will first try to get them to use it as future credit as opposed to out right refunds.

leeblair

Reaction score
If the fans get sick of showing up Jerry will pay for the way he's treated them over the past 13 years.

Swanny

Reaction score

Every team will lose money this year. Not just Dallas. But one thing to worry about is that the salary cap is based on revenue.... I think anybody tell me if I am right or wrong? If the salary cap is in deed based on revenue then the cap will go down next season. Making contracts smaller. Someone please tell me if that's right or wrong

Swagger

Reaction score
Every team will lose money this year. Not just Dallas. But one thing to worry about is that the salary cap is based on revenue.... I think anybody tell me if I am right or wrong? If the salary cap is in deed based on revenue then the cap will go down next season. Making contracts smaller. Someone please tell me if that's right or wrong

All true but how many teams are contemplating the prospect of paying Dak Prescott $45 million over a season?

I burst out laughing when thinking about just how ridiculous that actually sounds

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Is Captain Obvious hacking thread titles today?

giphy.gif

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will not make as much revenue but that doesn't mean they will lose money. It is unknown how the season is going to progress and Ohio State has already come up with a plan that can put 22-25K in the stands under the current guidelines. The NFL will leave no stone unturned for money, including a temp deal with the TV nets, especially if college ball is curtailed. They could put as many as 8 games on each weekend and use the Sat games to cover for the loss of fan revenue.

Adreme

Reaction score
It affects the negotiations, but not in the way the OP is suggesting. The reality is that if there are no fans the hypothetical cap could drop somewhere between 140 and 150 million next year. Now there is a provision in the CBA to negotiate a solution in the event that something like this happens (it refers to catastrophic events such as earthquakes and terrorism creating cancelled games which most would assume this falls under) and the solution being floated around is to borrow from the caps of future years in order to keep the cap flat for next year under the assumption that order will be restored by next NFL season (which is possible). What this borrowing would cause though is, instead of the massive 20-30 million dollar jumps that were expected per year over the next several years, a relatively flat cap for the next 3-4 years which changes how teams have to think about their contracts. Suddenly there is not inflation that means its easy to give the next guy up the record deal.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

I will file that in the "no ,,," file.

mcmvp

Reaction score
The funny thing is that a lot of these cowboys revenues are up precisely because of the success of one Dak Prescott who was playing for yogurt money.

LOL..Oh please. The Cowboys have been the most valuable franchise in the NFL well before Prescott was drafted. And Jerry will still be raking it in after he’s gone.

If they let Dak hit the market, and rolled with Dalton… They would not make a penny less. You’re fooling yourself if you think they need him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Nope. AFAIK, contracts are denominated in dollars. A contracting cap means huge problems for the league. Some players will just have to be cut. Really, most free agent contract will be overpriced, and teams will cut a ton of players now available for other teams, driving the free agent prices down further.

The league screwed up. All contracts should be denominated in % of Cap, so that contracts automatically adjust to cap moves.

This takes care of uncertainty about how the cap will move *on both sides*.

As an aside, league fines should be denominated in percentage of a player's cap hit for the year. Fines are crushing for PS players promoted to a couple of games, while irrelevant to top players making tens of millions.

12+88=7

Reaction score

The original title was Dallas revenue, not what it is now.

I was showing the amount of revenue that Dallas will lose dwarfs all teams. Dallas almost doubles the team in 2nd place, New England.

So if you're doing contracts for the future and there is a possibility that there will be no revenue stream wouldn't you pause until there were more certainty with the future. You are not going to expand or invest in the future if you are uncertain about your revenue stream. All businesses work this way.