Dallas Cowboys: A sobering two-deep defensive look before free agency

CCBoy

Reaction score
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/01/23/dallas-cowboys-defensive-two-deep-free-agency/

DEFENSIVE TWO-DEEP
Left Defensive End – DeMarcus Lawrence, Joe Jackson
Left Defensive Tackle – Trysten Hill, N/A
Right Defensive Tackle – Antwaun Woods, N/A
Right Defensive End – Dorance Armstrong, Joe Jackson
Strong Side Linebacker – Luke Gifford, Chris Covington
Middle Linebacker – Jaylon Smith, Chris Covington
Weak Side Linebacker – Leighton Vander Esch, Chris Covington
Left Corner – Chidobe Awuzie, Deante Burton
Right Corner – Jourdan Lewis, Deante Burton
Strong Safety – Donovan Wilson, N/A
Free Safety – Xavier Woods, N/A

SKELETON CREW ON DECK
Of course there will be multiple signings, re-signings, and draft additions to fill in the holes, but still … wow. Talk about a skeleton crew manning the deck guns.

Three defensive ends and two defensive tackles is scary seeing the 2019 Cowboys roster was carrying 10 players at those positions. Only two of the five remaining were significant factors on the latest defense. Linebacker has four players remaining with only two who played regularly. Covington took 28 defensive snaps and Gifford had zero. It’s worth mentioning Vander Esch will be coming off a concerning neck surgery. Only two starting corners remain while Burton recorded just three snaps. Safety is depleted down to one returning starter, Wilson with his 16 snaps, and zero depth...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Man.....they better bring some of those guys back....that unit does not look very good. The team last year was directionless.

I have a feeling they are going to do their best to bring a lot of those guys back.....Byron may be the one who gets outpriced. Be this years Anthony Hitchens.

Hadenough

Reaction score
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/01/23/dallas-cowboys-defensive-two-deep-free-agency/

DEFENSIVE TWO-DEEP

SKELETON CREW ON DECK
Of course there will be multiple signings, re-signings, and draft additions to fill in the holes, but still … wow. Talk about a skeleton crew manning the deck guns.

Three defensive ends and two defensive tackles is scary seeing the 2019 Cowboys roster was carrying 10 players at those positions. Only two of the five remaining were significant factors on the latest defense. Linebacker has four players remaining with only two who played regularly. Covington took 28 defensive snaps and Gifford had zero. It’s worth mentioning Vander Esch will be coming off a concerning neck surgery. Only two starting corners remain while Burton recorded just three snaps. Safety is depleted down to one returning starter, Wilson with his 16 snaps, and zero depth...
Dont worry! Jerry will get these guys. Daks the #1 priority right now even though there are currently no meetings set up with Dak and his agent.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

DEFENSIVE TWO-DEEP

SKELETON CREW ON DECK

I actually consider it a good thing considering that we are changing defensive schemes. Even though we are staying in an 4 man front, the personell they are going to want is different. They will play players to their strengths, but both the DC and DL coach are used to having bigger bodies on the DL. Cycling through players sooner rather than later keeps you from possibly pounding a square peg into a round hole

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Man.....they better bring some of those guys back....that unit does not look very good. The team last year was directionless.

I have a feeling they are going to do their best to bring a lot of those guys back.....Byron may be the one who gets outpriced. Be this years Anthony Hitchens.
I think there is a good chance they let Collins go too. I think if he is reasonably priced he could be back. However the money teams give average starters on the DL can be surprising at times

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Woods, Hill, Smith, Wilson and XWoods. That's a real problem for this unit. Antwuan Woods has some ability but he doesn't appear to be strong enough to go 4 quarters as a starter and he now has a league issue with weed. Hill appears to be a bit of a malcontent and just plain not very good at this point. Unless he makes a quantum leap forward in his development, I see him as nothing more then a rotational guy at best. Smith is not a Middle LB. Maybe in a Tampa two scheme where you are using your MLB to make deep drops and use him in coverage some, maybe but not in a traditional 43 MLB role. I mean, I think we saw that plain as day last year. Wilson and XWoods, they are both too young IMO, to be counted upon as reliable starters.

I am not very enthusiastic about this defensive alignment.

JMO

Hayseed

Reaction score
I’ve been a member here since 2005 and I’ve never been so confused by a statement than I am now.

Yeah,...well what really gets me is the centuries old nano casting thats been going on by the sublime subminimalists that effects my breakfast eggs on tuesday mornings. Theres just no reason for it whatsoever! :eek:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Couple that lineup w a scheme in which you're not even TRYING to fool anyone.

To think Garrett and Co would have probably been back w a couple more wins makes me damned happy that didnt happen.