Dallas Cowboys are the youngest team in the NFL; when will youth movement pay off?

Praxit

Reaction score
....to many variables involved. Chemistry, health, coaching, IQ, EQ..etc. I put my money on random luck. In saying that, the oldest team in the NFL could win the SB this year.

Though looking at our team. We have a very good young team. I believe in Dak since day one. EE is right on par with him. So, I dont know about SB's, but I see Dallas making noise in the coming years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no connection between youth and talent. They had the youngest team in 92 but they also had the most talented and deepest for 4 years.

The argument that the older players = more injuries was put to rest last year when we couldn't get any of our rookie DB's on the field.

Any team vying for that youngest is heavy with draft picks and either they're drafting demons or putzes and have to keep going back to the well like the Browns.

If there's any advantage to being the youngest, I don't know what it is. Back in the day, Allen to the "Over the Hill Gang" to a SB.

Youth doesn't pay off, talent does.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Well you could have been referring to the backup situation as well...but that's easier to deal with than a starter.

Out of curiosity what would dak need to do to get you past your concern?

Become genetically engineered into Carson Wentz.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Become genetically engineered into Carson Wentz.

You mean the kid in his early 20s who still has to prove he wasn't a one year fluke and that his surgically repaired knee will hold up long enough to have a lasting NFL career?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
idk but his dislike for Dak is boundless
Don't forget PAPPY. He is in the running for Head Priest of the Order For Being Dakless!
Not putting you guys down, Risen and Pap, we are all entitled to our opinions. I just hope you are wrong, but you may be right! We don't really know yet. The thing is, JJ has the joy stick, and all we can do is hope.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I like Wentz a lot more than I thought I would but I doubt I'm the only one holding my breath on whether or not he can recover to become a franchise QB. RG Knee wasn't that long ago.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Before we all get carried away with that stat, keep this in mind.

1. Dallas Cowboys 25.11
10 Denver Broncos 25.53

The Cowboys are only .42 years younger than the tenth place team.

Pretty similar to the average age when we won our first Jimmy Johnson Super Bowl, no?

kskboys

Reaction score
Earlier this year we looked at how the 2018 Cowboys have the youngest O-line in the NFL, which is quite a feat considering the line has already combined for 13 Pro Bowl seasons and 11 All Pro seasons.

But in Dallas, that youth movement extends way beyond just the offensive line.

Bob Sturm of The Athletic pointed out recently that the Cowboys are the youngest team in the league:

According to my friends at Spotrac, a website that tracks salary cap space for all the big sports, the Cowboys have the youngest roster in the NFL when measuring the full 90-man training camp rosters.

And here’s Sturm’s screenshot of the Spotrac data:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...m-in-the-nfl-when-will-youth-movement-pay-off
When we finish up the D w/ S's and DT's.

JustChip

Reaction score
Young doesn't always mean good.
No, especially because young is normally synonymous with inexperienced. But old doesn't necessarily mean good either. The most salient point in the Beane quote is "the risk of injury becomes exponential". Injuries hit at all ages in the violent game of football (Darius Guice case in point), but it's more likely the older the player.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
No, especially because young is normally synonymous with inexperienced. But old doesn't necessarily mean good either. The most salient point in the Beane quote is "the risk of injury becomes exponential". Injuries hit at all ages in the violent game of football (Darius Guice case in point), but it's more likely the older the player.

I think younger groups benefit from experienced and successful head coaches. We are lacking big time in that department.

plymkr

Reaction score
At long last, we're finally generating the type of draft (and even vet FA) to rival the elite teams of the NFL. Time to rejoice! :)
It's also time to win, then we'll really rejoice.

blueblood70

Reaction score
When they're young and talented.

Right now there are giant holes on the roster. QB, WR, TE, DT, probably S.
im not sure about that and how can you say that we just blew those positions wide open , you havent given the new TE and WR group a chance to play a season yet( I already see something special in Gallup, it just needs to be nurtured correctly, oters guys have been surprises in camp already..)..No reason some of them cant step up, stars are created not born and now that the playing time and starters spot are wide open for those spots im betting 1-2 of them will surprise you..cant say it a huge hole until that group doesnt come through..none have been giving enough playing time to judge yet..we've been needing stud S for long time but DT with Irving actually playing Price is not bad and I believe someone like woods is about to surprise people.. these so called holes maybe filled by the end of the season..

MojaveJT

Reaction score
The Rams were the youngest team for quite a few years and that didn't equate to instant success. It took a coaching change and some good FO management to make them contenders again.

We're halfway there.