News: Dallas Cowboys: Christian Covington may jolt the roster

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Christian Covington may jolt the roster
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/16/dallas-cowboys-christian-covington-jolt/

...NEW SWISS ARMY KNIFE
The last two seasons Crawford has been off-limits as no other defensive linemen possessed his rare ability to handle both spots without a drop-off. The same would have applied to 2019 until Christian Covington signed in free agency.

Dallas added Covington to disrupt the interior, but he’s no one trick pony. Just like Crawford’s rookie year in Dallas, Covington has significant experience at 3-4 defensive end. In four starts and under 500 snaps combined the last two seasons, Covington had more sacks (4.5) than any Texans defensive end not named J.J. Watt.

Assumed to be a better fit in the Cowboys 4-3 defense, Covington could make his fellow Canadian expendable if he shows similar versatility. Releasing Crawford after June 1st would shave $7 million off the 2019 cap and another $8 million in 2020.

Crawford is under contract through 2020 while his challenger becomes a free agent. Though Covington could be re-signed for much less than Crawford’s 2020 cap savings. Let’s also not forget, at 25 years old, the new guy is four years younger.

Tussinman

Reaction score
He was ranked fairly high in free agent rankings for interior D-line and they even noted he was rated high against the run (higher then ANY of are current interior lineman).

People where quite on him when he signed but i'm fairly certain Maliek is going to lose his starting spot.

CCBoy

Reaction score
we always have a player who (insert cool word of the week)
Oh, I see...if one always presents doubt, and the player is not All Pro, one can then glamorize 'insight' for ever.

Only thing...is Jerry and Stephen are being built up as putting together a really talented roster on both sides of the ball...this season.

Covington is coming with the description of being very intelligent, strong in run support, and Canadian with a father who was Canadian Football Hall of Fame talent...and he learned well.

Well worth paying attention to in camp. Marinelli is known for bringing journeymen up to Pro Bowl levels of production...let's just take a second here, and watch...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes, the DE/DT addition is Hyder, not Covington.

Covington might play both 1-tech and 3-tech but not DE in Dallas.

With the defensive end group coming in for Training Camp...are we still looking for Crawford to be a defensive end...first? I'm not. I actually hope that his nitch is inside at defensive tackle...and is a flex-type move to defensive end, some times.

dckid

Reaction score

...NEW SWISS ARMY KNIFE
The last two seasons Crawford has been off-limits as no other defensive linemen possessed his rare ability to handle both spots without a drop-off. The same would have applied to 2019 until Christian Covington signed in free agency.

Dallas added Covington to disrupt the interior, but he’s no one trick pony. Just like Crawford’s rookie year in Dallas, Covington has significant experience at 3-4 defensive end. In four starts and under 500 snaps combined the last two seasons, Covington had more sacks (4.5) than any Texans defensive end not named J.J. Watt.

Assumed to be a better fit in the Cowboys 4-3 defense, Covington could make his fellow Canadian expendable if he shows similar versatility. Releasing Crawford after June 1st would shave $7 million off the 2019 cap and another $8 million in 2020.

Crawford is under contract through 2020 while his challenger becomes a free agent. Though Covington could be re-signed for much less than Crawford’s 2020 cap savings. Let’s also not forget, at 25 years old, the new guy is four years younger.
If this actually comes to fruition then its a great move. Would love to move off of Crawford if Covington is the real deal. I also feel as though we need a much depth as possible on the Dtackle front.
This is the game you have to play in this post 2011 era. Middle of the rung guys cant get away with making big time money. Crawford has to justify the big bucks or get replaced by cheaper talent.
The large contracts being taken away from rookies didn't flow to the middle, it never does. Now there are clear tiers for guys getting paid. The average career of an NFL player has shrunk. The days of having Jimmy Jones, Casillas, along with Lett & Maryland are long gone.. :)

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Wow. Everybody is superman before the pads go on, I guess. These freaking writers just praise everybody that's Cowboy related. Click bait.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
There are going to be a bunch of disappointed people when Crawford starts and plays a bunch of snaps for us again this season. Whether you think he deserves it or not (I think he's pretty useful even if not a world-beater), we've seen this show before from the F.O. He's a trusted vet (team captain) with versatility and we aren't exactly in cap purgatory. That's a ripe combination for status quo.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wow. Everybody is superman before the pads go on, I guess. These freaking writers just praise everybody that's Cowboy related. Click bait.

...and this just added, what?

This approach doesn't pause enough to gain any perspective, but...stereotype. Go figure. :rolleyes:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

...NEW SWISS ARMY KNIFE

I think this guy is a sleeper man. I'm a little hurt by any fellow Canadian being expendable tho. I an't and he ain't and he ain't :)