News: Dallas Cowboys: Christian Covington may jolt the roster

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
He was ranked fairly high in free agent rankings for interior D-line and they even noted he was rated high against the run (higher then ANY of are current interior lineman).

People where quite on him when he signed but i'm fairly certain Maliek is going to lose his starting spot.

Mari likes his rotation. That's a hint

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I want to see them both this season...and go from there. I'm not stacking next year's poker chips, now, at all...
Me too and Hyder a bit along with Joe Jackson. mari likes his rotation. Could see big T batlling his way in. He's a battler and doesn't give up easily... hence the bar fight lol

gmoney112

Reaction score
Yes, the DE/DT addition is Hyder, not Covington.

Covington might play both 1-tech and 3-tech but not DE in Dallas.

It's actually not impossible. If Richard's gets more responsibility in gameplanning/alignments.

Seattle often used a heavy alignment on the strong side, with Red Bryant, a DT, at SDE, to two gap, while Wagner/Irvin cleaned up. It made them incredibly stout on run downs.

With LVE + Jaylon, there's a similar dynamic there.

I agree that it's unlikely, but it is an option, and has precedent with a lot of success.

waldoputty

Reaction score
if crawford is suspended for 8 games, we save a lot of cap while having a rested uninjured vet becoming available for the 2nd part of season
also can fit one more player into roster into 2nd half of season

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's actually not impossible. If Richard's gets more responsibility in gameplanning/alignments.

Seattle often used a heavy alignment on the strong side, with Red Bryant, a DT, at SDE, to two gap, while Wagner/Irvin cleaned up. It made them incredibly stout on run downs.

With LVE + Jaylon, there's a similar dynamic there.

I agree that it's unlikely, but it is an option, and has precedent with a lot of success.

Yes, Red Bryant was their starting LDE and was bigger than their DTs.

Bryant followed DC Gus Bradley to Jacksonville. I have no idea if Kris Richard was involved with the DL during the years Bryant was a starter in Seattle (2011-2013).

DLaw is the LDE in Dallas and plays a high percentage of the snaps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the defensive end group coming in for Training Camp...are we still looking for Crawford to be a defensive end...first? I'm not. I actually hope that his nitch is inside at defensive tackle...and is a flex-type move to defensive end, some times.

Crawford 2018
DE 8 starts
DT 7 starts

Marinelli loves Crawford but Stephen Jones probably wants to replace Crawford and his 7M salary with Hyder and his 900K salary. Both are DE/DT tweeners.

CapnB

Reaction score
I dont believe crawford is going anywhere... coaches and teammates seem to love the guy, he's a leader on the d-line and he's a hustler. People want to get rid of the guy because they think he should be a double-digit sack guy with his salary like it is. And I get that. however, He helps the team more so than not and i want the guy around until he cant do what he's been doing. The more people we have on the d-line that can really contribute the better.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford 2018
DE 8 starts
DT 7 starts

Marinelli loves Crawford but Stephen Jones probably wants to replace Crawford and his 7M salary with Hyder and his 900K salary. Both are DE/DT tweeners.
Ding ding ding!!!

conner01

Reaction score
Crawford 2018
DE 8 starts
DT 7 starts

I think hyder is better outside and Covington better inside, but both can play either
I like Crawford but I’d rather move on from him and have two guys for less money

conner01

Reaction score
if crawford is suspended for 8 games, we save a lot of cap while having a rested uninjured vet becoming available for the 2nd part of season
also can fit one more player into roster into 2nd half of season
He’s not getting an 8 game suspension
It’s a trivial charge, at worst 1 game and he may not get it till next year

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

:thumbup:,,,I'm of admiration of the CAT who'd broke down& highlighted that (?) "New" #95 1-tech C.Covington in the video, he illustrated him in a most Formidable FOOTBALLISH Fashion:thumbup:

*:starspin:,,, I was gonna' comment on his You-Tube channel ,,,but,,, I'm packing a load of
Jim Beam busthead fixing to creep up on me here pretty quick;)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think hyder is better outside and Covington better inside, but both can play either
I like Crawford but I’d rather move on from him and have two guys for less money

Covington played DT in college and played as a 3-4 DE and 3-4 NT in the NFL.

Covington has not played DE in a 4-3.

Hyder's best year in the NFL was his last as a 4-3 DE (8 sacks in 2016 despite only starting 2 of the games).

The Lions moved to a 3-4 defense which was not a good fit for Hyder (6-2, 270).

It will be difficult for Crawford to keep a starting position.
RDE - Robert Quinn

3-tech DT - Trysten Hill or Maliek Collins

They will use a player that is bigger than Quinn on a lot of the base (run) downs at RDE.

Crawford will be competing with Taco and Hyder as the base downs RDE or could be the "other" 3-tech DT with Hill if Collins gets injured again.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Assumed to be a better fit in the Cowboys 4-3 defense, Covington could make his fellow Canadian expendable if he shows similar versatility. Releasing Crawford after June 1st would shave $7 million off the 2019 cap and another $8 million in 2020.

Its actually 3 Million and 7 Million, but what is 5 million bucks between friends.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Oh, I see...if one always presents doubt, and the player is not All Pro, one can then glamorize 'insight' for ever.

Only thing...is Jerry and Stephen are being built up as putting together a really talented roster on both sides of the ball...this season.

Covington is coming with the description of being very intelligent, strong in run support, and Canadian with a father who was Canadian Football Hall of Fame talent...and he learned well.

Well worth paying attention to in camp. Marinelli is known for bringing journeymen up to Pro Bowl levels of production...let's just take a second here, and watch...

someone tel Linus the great pumpkin isnt coming this year. dont let him wait in the pumpkin patch all night.

Number1

Reaction score
He was ranked fairly high in free agent rankings for interior D-line and they even noted he was rated high against the run (higher then ANY of are current interior lineman).

People where quite on him when he signed but i'm fairly certain Maliek is going to lose his starting spot.

I don't care who starts - between Trysten, Malek, and Christian we have a young bull rush - need someone to step up at D1