News: Dallas Cowboys Cornerbacks

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
4 years ago is an eternity in the NFL. None of these corners were even on the team 4 years ago. It's just too far to project anything meaningful.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do these players carry the secondary for the next five seasons?:

Byron Jones

Anthony Brown

Jourdan Lewis

Chidobe Awuzie

Doubtful,. It’s hard to keep entire groups together if they are all quality players. One may want too much money, another may want an opportunity to start etc ...

John813

Reaction score
I could see Brown sticking around for a bit.

Hard to say on Jones, as top corner pay has reached the 15mil mark, and with guys like Dak, Zeke, Cooper, J-Smith(RFA) coming up as free agents next offseason it'll be interesting.

Awuzie is tbd. Has the size Richard wants but was limited his rookie year and last year he was picked on at times.

Flamma

Reaction score
Turnovers, just shorten it for you homey!

You're right. I guess I am just so far removed from that period that I actually forgot about that. It wasn't just Everson Walls, the other guys got a decent amount of picks. I had to go back and look at the stats because I did not believe you.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You're right. I guess I am just so far removed from that period that I actually forgot about that. It wasn't just Everson Walls, the other guys got a decent amount of picks. I had to go back and look at the stats because I did not believe you.

Game sophistication has changed quite a bit from the earlier days of the Cowboys. Pure athleticism and aggression were the real ingredients. Schemes became more relevant with the entrance of Bob Hayes into the NFL...

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

Walls, Clinkscale, Thurmond and Downs, those guys could get the Int's.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
We can't keep them all and I think Lewis and Awuzie will be the main guys. Jones will want #1 cb money and I don't blame him. This is a guy that can play both outside, slot and safety positions.

I think Jones just had the physical traits to play the position this year. What he is doing is no different than what Lewis was doing last year as far as coverage. I think having better safety players will allow cornerbacks to play the ball more than the man. That is something Jones lack imo.

I could see Brown sticking around for a bit.

Hard to say on Jones, as top corner pay has reached the 15mil mark, and with guys like Dak, Zeke, Cooper, J-Smith(RFA) coming up as free agents next offseason it'll be interesting.

Awuzie is tbd. Has the size Richard wants but was limited his rookie year and last year he was picked on at times.

Just because he was picked doesn't make him a bad corner. Most of the QBs they faced were right handed. Add to the fact that the DLinemen on pass attempts are pretty quick, so it is natural to go throw on Awuzie side since the qb is looking that way first. IMO, based on the many times they tested him, he held up pretty good and many of the catches went for little or no YAC.