News: Dallas Cowboys: Here is the most important player from each unit

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Here is the most important player from each unit

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/27/dallas-cowboys-important-player-unit/

The Dallas Cowboys have the potential for a huge season. In order for that to happen, here are the players that have to be among the best of their units.
In every major North American sport, the sum of the whole is greater than any of the individual parts. As the old saying goes, teamwork makes the dream work, and that is definitely the case in professional team sports. In NFL professional football, the game that the Dallas Cowboys play and where each individual phase of the game is executed by totally different players, that is especially the case.

Although every player on every unit needs to maximize their opportunities and performance for the team to succeed at the highest possible level, there are those in particular that this is especially true for. Here are the Dallas Cowboys most important players for each unit of the team.

Offense – Dak Prescott, QB...

Defense – DeMarcus Lawrence, DE...

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys defensive line was dominant at times during this season. Could this year’s defensive line outperform last year’s team?

Last year, the Dallas Cowboys‘ defensive unit ranked seventh in the league on overall defense. Finishing the season with 39.0 sacks, nine interceptions, and 23 fumbles recovered is quite impressive. But the additions made this offseason might give this unit a chance to be even better than that.

The two main stats that I believe will benefit from the Cowboys offseason additions will be the team’s sack and interception statistics. The addition of Robert Quinn and second-round pick Trysten Hill will be the key to both. If they are able to place Quinn and Hill on the same side it will force teams to play more one on one when pass blocking.

Whether it’s Hill pushing the pocket and forcing opposing quarterback out of the pocket and forcing them into the arms of with Quinn or DeMarcus Lawrence. Or, Quinn and Lawrence forcing the quarterback to step up in the pocket where Hill is waiting it bodes well for the team. The quarterback will be forced to make a quick decision to take the sack or force the ball to a receiver that isn’t open...

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/27/dallas-cowboys-defensive-line-better/

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't understand the obsession of always trying to identify the most important player in the most team-oriented sport:(

Quick identification of functional indicators. First off, if the top pass rusher isn't quality, does that team often win most games against a quality passing team....(most important element in today's NFL - passing)

2nd, what element is the most important thing in winning, for over 90%...the offense. Who is that team's leader on offense? the Quarterback

Sorry, it's not stupid, but a point of fact to discuss elements of strength...I added an expansion of topic to show were early focus is for the defensive line group. Maybe you wish to question the importance of that defensive line group, instead?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It could also be the (almost) most expensive player from every unit.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It should.

The Cowboys defensive backs were able to get their hand on footballs a lot last season. But, with this added pressure this team should be able to get on the quarterback that should change. I believe this squad should be able to get about 50 sacks and get 15 interceptions.

Coaches Rod Marinelli and Kris Richard are going to be working with possibly the best defensive unit the Cowboys have ever had when it comes to talent. And If they can get both of those stats up this team could be a tough out for even the best offenses in the league.

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/27/dallas-cowboys-defensive-line-better/

CCBoy

Reaction score
Here's an updated snapshot of Jason Witten:

...What Witten’s absence did allow is for young tight ends like Blake Jarwin, Dalton Schultz and Rico Gathers to gain some much needed playing time. And that extra experience started to pay off later into the year. Especially for Jarwin who was able to post a three-touchdown performance in the team’s final regular season matchup against the New York Giants...

...Will Jason Witten’s knack for getting open remain following his vacation in the broadcast booth?Many seem to believe it will. Can the veteran’s knowledge and football instincts still provide a reliable option for quarterback Dak Prescott in the passing game? We won’t know till Week One. But Witten’s presence is already having an impact this offseason. And I wouldn’t bet against him having one in the regular season as well. Would you?

But, is Witten a top focus or center player?

CCBoy

Reaction score
What is the importance in observing who are the most important elements on offense and defense?

Impact and cross comparison can then be made to top team influences through time:

Dez Bryant
Cornell Green
Jay Novacek
Bill Bates
Ed Too Tall Jones
Don Perkins
Charlie Waters
Lee Roy Jordan
Harvey Martin
Cliff Harris
Tony Romo
Everson Walls
DeMarcus Ware
Deion Sanders
Charles Haley
Drew Pearson
Chuck Howley
Bob Hayes
Wrayfield Wright
Darren Woodson
Jason Witten
Tony Dorsett
Mel Renfro
Michael Irvin
Troy Aikman
Randy White
Larry Allen
Bob Lilly
Emmitt Smith
Roger Staubach

https://thelandryhat.com/2018/06/28/dallas-cowboys-30-greatest-players/31/

CCBoy

Reaction score
A comparison point on Tony Dorsett...

Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett won the Heisman Trophy, a college National Championship, the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Award and a Super Bowl all within the span of a year and change. Enough said.

Oh, do you need more? Okay. Well, the Cowboys drafted Dorsett second overall in the first round of the 1977 NFL Draft after trading their own first rounder and three second-round picks to move up for the Heisman winning running back.

https://thelandryhat.com/2018/06/28/dallas-cowboys-30-greatest-players/23/

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
I’m not as hopeful as most when it comes to interceptions number getting very much higher. The dbs, whether by ability or by design, don’t turn their heads around in man coverage, instead keeping their focus on the receiver. Makes for a safer play, defending when the ball arrives, but not so much for taking the ball away. I do think the defense can still improve, but to get picks, you gotta turn your head around.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I’m not as hopeful as most when it comes to interceptions number getting very much higher. The dbs, whether by ability or by design, don’t turn their heads around in man coverage, instead keeping their focus on the receiver. Makes for a safer play, defending when the ball arrives, but not so much for taking the ball away. I do think the defense can still improve, but to get picks, you gotta turn your head around.

Get quarterbacks looking at the pressure instead of focus on receivers...and passes get uniformly worse. This opens up opportunity.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Whom ever wrote that for the Landry Hat made a typo. There's no way we had 23 fumble recoveries. I need to look that up.

According to fox sports we had 12 forced fumbles and 11 recoveries.

Writing too fast I guess.

Last edited:

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Get quarterbacks looking at the pressure instead of focus on receivers...and passes get uniformly worse. This opens up opportunity.

I agree. Opportunity will be there for those corners who have their heads turned.