News: Dallas Cowboys not considering release of LB JSmith to create salary cap room

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
I bet they restructure his base salary this year and make this a "prove it" year. He either bounces back or he's an easy June 1 candidate even after the restructure.

Sydla

Reaction score
This would require Jerry and Stephen to admit they’re wrong and got taken to the cleaners by Jaylon and his agent.

so they won’t do it.

Are we sure Smith's agents took Jerry to the cleaners? Seems to me it was mostly the Jones boys here. I think they saw the 2018 season and figured Smith was only going to get better so they rushed to sign him to a deal that they thought would look cheap in time for a great LB. Turns out Smith regressed, is far from great LB.

They did the same thing with Crawford and didn't learn a thing I guess.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This would require Jerry and Stephen to admit they’re wrong and got taken to the cleaners by Jaylon and his agent.

so they won’t do it.

They clearly admitted they were wrong by bringing in Nolan.

Nolan tried some sort of whacky "it's a 3-4 but don't call it a 3-4" and forgot that the whole deal with the 3-4 is you need run defenders in the tackle spots. You can get away with lighter guys in the passing game but it kills you in the run game.

That combined with losing two of those interior defenders in Hill and McCoy really screwed us. And who is gonna look bad when the interior looks bad? The lbs who are taking on way too many blockers.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

so they won’t do it.
Not only would they not do it... I would bet good money that a big reason they hired Quinn was so they could run the same scheme they did a few years ago when Smith was decent. Jerry is trying to anything to blame the coach or the scheme before one of his pets.

I can just see him during the interview while they're looking at 2018 film: "Can you get Jaylon to play like this again?"

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

so they won’t do it.
It would also create some dead money to cut Smith - they would be stuck with a cap hit for a player they no longer have.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
The FO has no and I mean no interest in the D. They pay lip service to it when the patient is critical but unlike proper teams that understand both sides of the ball need balance, we will continue to heavilly outspend on the Offence, When Dak is signed the spend will be close to 3 to 1 on Offence. Can anyone point to a successful team with that split.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yep the reason he remained healthy throughout the year, he ran away from any initial blocking or ball carrier contact and then jumped on the scrum pile after contact was made. Great way to stay healthy while "leading" the worst D in the NFL.
Exactamundo...
He lead all LBs in assists,,, just for all the stat masters out there.

Rayman70

Reaction score
ScaredSomberCorydorascatfish-max-1mb.gif

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Let's all just face the fact that the JJ run Cowboys are a piss poor run organization that will not change until a real owner and GM is in place.
First time I realized that was when Jerry and Jimmy standing at the pulpit in front of all the world to see,, dont remember which SB against the Bills, but Im thinking the 2nd and Jerry yanks the Lombardi away from Jimmy.
I knew it was going down hill from there.

Mannix

Reaction score
-------I'm glad to hear the FO isn't considering giving up on Jaylon. I think all he needs is a change in scheme and responsibility. Dan Quinn will fix him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mickey is logged in.

Mannix

Reaction score
------Nolan tried some sort of whacky "it's a 3-4 but don't call it a 3-4" and forgot that the whole deal with the 3-4 is you need run defenders in the tackle spots. You can get away with lighter guys in the passing game but it kills you in the run game. That combined with losing two of those interior defenders in Hill and McCoy really screwed us. And who is gonna look bad when the interior looks bad? The lbs who are taking on way too many blockers.

That doesn't excuse running away from contact, and then chasing after the scrum 2-3 seconds later.

Mannix

Reaction score
--------He doesn't have football instincts. He has survival instincts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Late arriving entry for February post of the month.