Dallas Cowboys Rookie LB Jabril Cox Named 'Top Steal' Of NFL Draft

Creeper

Reaction score
I guess in terns of project draft position vs actual draft position he may have dropped more than any other top rated player. Ojulari and JOK dropping to round 2 were big steals too, but they dropped maybe 20 spots or so. Jabril Cox drop about 60-70 spots in the draft.

But, while the Cowboys get credit, just like other teams got a lot of credit for picking guys who dropped, the credit really belongs to all the teams who passed him up! I mean is someone was giving away 10 cars and your are the 6th guy picking, and 5 guys ahead of you pick Chevys leaving the Ferrari for you to take, it is not a hard decision and there is not a lot of genius involved in the choice.

Verdict

Reaction score
He is definitely in the conversation for “biggest steal”, but in reality that title probably should go to an u drafted player who makes it big time. There will probably be some. But as far as drafted players go, he is as good a choice as any.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I guess in terns of project draft position vs actual draft position he may have dropped more than any other top rated player. Ojulari and JOK dropping to round 2 were big steals too, but they dropped maybe 20 spots or so. Jabril Cox drop about 60-70 spots in the draft.

But, while the Cowboys get credit, just like other teams got a lot of credit for picking guys who dropped, the credit really belongs to all the teams who passed him up! I mean is someone was giving away 10 cars and your are the 6th guy picking, and 5 guys ahead of you pick Chevys leaving the Ferrari for you to take, it is not a hard decision and there is not a lot of genius involved in the choice.
ferrari's break down, probably as much as chevy's, but I understand your point lol it's what matters before they break down lololol

Knotamus

Reaction score
I would caution everyone’s excitement over Cox. I like the value pick myself, don’t get me wrong... but he dropped for a reason. Was it the shoulder concern? Probably.

Or could it have been his one dimensional play? I mean, all I hear is how great he is in coverage, but many analysts also talk negatively about him as a run defender. I honestly don’t know what he’ll be.. but I don’t like the idea of having another LBer on this team that cant stop the run.

So, someone please talk me off the cliff here.. I need reassurance

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I noticed when he was selected that the chart came onto the TV screen saying he was the #1 draft candidate at that point in time. I was beyond elated when he was, indeed the pick that we got. I thought it was like a gift from heaven . . . :D

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would caution everyone’s excitement over Cox. I like the value pick myself, don’t get me wrong... but he dropped for a reason. Was it the shoulder concern? Probably.

Or could it have been his one dimensional play? I mean, all I hear is how great he is in coverage, but many analysts also talk negatively about him as a run defender. I honestly don’t know what he’ll be.. but I don’t like the idea of having another LBer on this team that cant stop the run.

So, someone please talk me off the cliff here.. I need reassurance
Guys drop all of the time. Cee Dee Lamb dropped last year. Diggs fell last year. Almost our whole draft last year was guys projected to go higher than they did. Aaron Rodgers dropped in his draft.

When guys fall...its not even because of anything they did wrong. When one team does something others don't expect then it can change a whole draft. Raiders took Ruggs and things fell out of place for Lamb.

Who knows what Cox will be but people shouldn't temper expectations because of where he got drafted or because of his slide. He is a good football player.

mrmojo

Reaction score

I guess you have to give them credit for not picking another Chevy right?

Knotamus

Reaction score
Guys drop all of the time. Cee Dee Lamb dropped last year. Diggs fell last year. Almost our whole draft last year was guys projected to go higher than they did. Aaron Rodgers dropped in his draft.

When guys fall...its not even because of anything they did wrong. When one team does something others don't expect then it can change a whole draft. Raiders took Ruggs and things fell out of place for Lamb.

Who knows what Cox will be but people shouldn't temper expectations because of where he got drafted or because of his slide. He is a good football player.

Not arguing, I get some guys drop within a round or fall down into another round... But Cox literally fell 60-70 spots! That’s not because of the normal..”a team preferred another player” reasoning. Teams literally passed over him a few times before Dallas drafted him.

Honestly, it’s not even about him lasting that long. My concern is why?! The shoulder concern prob doesn’t help, but did other teams think his run defense is more a detriment than his superb coverage skills?

All I’m saying is.. all this talk about how “Lucky” Dallas was to draft him and that he’s the “biggest draft steal” has me concerned. He was the 115th player selected, 15th LBer, and Detroit preferred Derrick Barnes from Purdue 2 picks before Cox.

I’m not trying to throw a wet blanket on Cox, but I have my doubts that he’s the player that most promote him as. I hope for the best for all our draft picks..hell at the least he can be a situational nickle or dime coverage LBer and that’ll be fine. But Draft steal? I’m not so sure bc of he could be a liability against the run. Cox is starting to look like fools gold to me... and nobody has been able to convince me otherwise.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

yeah I agree, and there are no steals in the draft, cox fell to 4th due to other teams not picking him for who knows what reasons.
Dallas passed on him in rd 3, and he was still there in 4th so they say hmm lets get him.

As someone else said, if he turns out to be good player for cowboys, then he still isnt a steal, but a good deal.
Dak wasnt a steal, he just turned out to be a good pick......lol
I guess that is debatable though at this point, he could be a curse/ bad pick, depending
on what team does in next 4 years with dak as the highly paid franchise qb.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Q: What do Jabril Cox and a football thrown to Amari Cooper have in common?

A: They both dropped. :lmao:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Cox is starting to look like fools gold to me.
he could be lol , that is a good term for drafted players, and could apply to many in the past drafts.
I still wonder if lamb might be fools gold. Some here still say dak is FG.

I will say this too, it isnt all on the player, the coaches have to coach them up properly, and put them in the right positons, and
utilize them in the right ways.
If they dont do that the player will not seem all that good.

phildadon86

Reaction score
He is definitely in the conversation for “biggest steal”, but in reality that title probably should go to an u drafted player who makes it big time. There will probably be some. But as far as drafted players go, he is as good a choice as any.
I have a feeling Our 6th round CB will be in the discussion for that title in 5 years

Knotamus

Reaction score
I have a feeling Our 6th round CB will be in the discussion for that title in 5 years

I think our 5th Rd pick may have something to say about that..

In college, Simi Fehoko only scratched the surface of how good he can be. He’s already displayed his play in big moments and had speed to backup his potential. A year or two to refine his route running, he could be the next Miles Austin in my opinion.