Dallas Cowboys: What to do about Jaylon Smith

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
I hear ya, but I'd be shocked if they signed or drafted (1st-3rd) a 1 LB capable of threatening these incumbent LBs. I'd like them to sign a LB then draft another.

Best thing I can say about #54 is with the hiring of Dan Quinn hopefully Jaylon can be placed in more favorable positions to be effective.
Sending #54 to the LFL would be most favorable.

Redline360

Reaction score
I'm starting to think he has CTE. No man can argurably be that stupid when it comes to football knowledge or instincts.

There's one thing of being physically hampered however it's another when you still fill the wrong holes, get turned around, look completely lost, and swipe when you make a tackle 10 yards down the field

Professional wise....

ICP

Reaction score
We're stuck with him for at least another year because of his cap hit. Besides, Jerruh thinks he's a 'Cornerstone' of the team which should tell you why we haven't done squat in 25 yrs. Nah, Jaylon ain't going anywhere.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No one better on the team right now at LB. That would not stop me from listening to any and all trade offers though. I would even call a few teams to gauge his value and see what they would give up.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
If you're a serious football org fully invested in building a blue-collar winning culture, then you attempt to trade him, when the league laughs at you cut him immediately.

Yeah, we have a big sample, now. He is what he is.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
They’re not blind, he has one year to prove his worth and ball out. If he fails to do so they'll cut him. There’s no way they’re that dumb.

Wow, you have some faith. You do realize that this is the same front office that dedicated a whole draft to just drafting special teams right?

Mannix

Reaction score
They just don't like Jaylon, they don't have a plan, and if you point that out then they'll call you a poop head or something else elementary.

Just typical fans, we had a bad year so they wanna cut and fire everyone.

Family site.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I'm not sure FO sees Jaylon as anywhere near the problem fans see/media see. I mean we've seen nothing from coaches/Jerry to suggest his starting position is in jeopardy. Not to mention, name the last player Jerry paid not to play. In other words, good or bad, he will start as they're paying him starting pay,

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/what-s-next-for-lb-what-to-do-about-jaylon

tvohm7oytjvrbtyn6kv5.jpg

FRISCO, Texas – As always, this is the uncertain time of the year.

Roughly one-third of NFL rosters turn over every offseason as each club looks for ways to improve its fortunes moving forward. The Cowboys are no different, as they'll face many tough decisions in the coming months.

With that in mind, we're evaluating each position on the roster and what choices face the front office in 2021. Part 4 focuses on the linebackers.

Buy him a boat give him a team and tell him to catch the white wale.
Captain Ahab would be proud of him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm starting to think he has CTE. No man can argurably be that stupid when it comes to football knowledge or instincts.

There's one thing of being physically hampered however it's another when you still fill the wrong holes, get turned around, look completely lost, and swipe when you make a tackle 10 yards down the field

Professional wise....

154 tackles.

3rd in the NFL.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm not sure FO sees Jaylon as anywhere near the problem fans see/media see. I mean we've seen nothing from coaches/Jerry to suggest his starting position is in jeopardy. Not to mention, name the last player Jerry paid not to play. In other words, good or bad, he will start as they're paying him starting pay,

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/what-s-next-for-lb-what-to-do-about-jaylon

tvohm7oytjvrbtyn6kv5.jpg

FRISCO, Texas – As always, this is the uncertain time of the year.

Roughly one-third of NFL rosters turn over every offseason as each club loonestks for ways to improve its fortunes moving forward. The Cowboys are no different, as they'll face many tough decisions in the coming months.

With that in mind, we're evaluating each position on the roster and what choices face the front office in 2021. Part 4 focuses on the linebackers.

Quite honestly, this decision should be up to our new DC, Dan Quinn. Pretty sure this was even discussed prior to his hiring.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
This has been beaten to death already in every Jaylon thread. You do you and stat chase the rest of us will discuss real football stuff

IMO, getting 154 tackles doesn't nake you a good linebacker, but bad linebackers don't get that many either.

I think 154 tackles means, this guy is available every week and at least average at taking down ball carriers.

Please list every Cowboys defender who is available every week and at least average at their primary job function.

When you realize how short that list is, please tell me again why you want to cut one of the few people on that list, and how you plan to replace him. "I'd just draft a guy" is not an answer because we have 15 different holes we need to "just draft a guy" to fill.

Even if that weren't the case, it's amazing to me that everyone is convinced that we can just draft a guy and upgrade. LVE was a first rounder, JSmith was gonna be but ended up a 2nd rounder. Sean Lee was a second rounder. We're happy with none of them right now.

And don't say "we'll sign a guy on the market" unless you can tell me where the money comes from. It's gonna cost cap dollars just to cut jaylon, and then you gotta replace him at market value. By the time it's done, best case scenario we end up paying in total more than Jaylon costs next year, and we likely get somebody about as average as he is.

Listen guys. I get it. He's not a long term answer. He's not an all pro. But our defense is trash. Whatever he is, he's about as good as anyone else on that side of the ball. It is so easy to just say "cut him!" but it isn't that simple to do it. I've asked for an actual strategy a few times now and all I get told is that I'm irrational or called names.

If everyone is so convinced that Jaylon must go, then why can't anyone say anything better than "meh ill just draft/sign someone". Sign who, Cowboys Zone??? Draft who? And at what cost to other areas of need, like a QB contract or our secondary that currently consists of like 3 guys total?